Lets Talk Metal
Oct 7, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #4,486 of 29,687

I really like Enslaved. Would you categorize them at SOME level as progressive black metal? They are very very different than everyone else (and of course extremely talented).

Oct 7, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #4,487 of 29,687

Quote:
I really like Enslaved. Would you categorize them at SOME level as progressive black metal? They are very very different than everyone else (and of course extremely talented).

Yeah I think progressive black fits pretty well. What I like about Enslaved is when you listen to a new release you really don't know what to expect. They are not Amon Amarth, certainly.

Hopefully at some point these tracks will be available on something other than limited 7" vinyl. What's available on the internet is as you would expect, poor quality needledrops.

Oct 8, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #4,488 of 29,687
Enslaved's progessed quite nicely. I've really come to appreciate 'black metal' that challenges the status quo, like them and Ulver. Also really enjoing the bands that flirt with post.rock/metal like Jesu, Agalloch, and others.

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #4,489 of 29,687
Enslaved's progessed quite nicely. I've really come to appreciate 'black metal' that challenges the status quo, like them and Ulver. Also really enjoing the bands that flirt with post.rock/metal like Jesu, Agalloch, and others.

Agalloch is not post by any stretch of the imagination. They are more or less pagan/folk black metal.

Alcest is more post these days (as an example).

France, Germany, and the US are putting out I believe the most innovative BM right now.

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #4,490 of 29,687
I'm overdue for an expansion to my library. Anyone interested in giving me some recommendations? I listen mostly to:

Galneryus, Seventh Wonder, Lost Horizon, Machiae Supremacy, Rhapsody of Fire, Kamelot, Symphony X, Power Glove.

Outside of Prog/Power I'm into Doom/Death, Techdeath, Melodeath, and Melodic Black Metal.

Oct 9, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #4,491 of 29,687

Quote:
I'm overdue for an expansion to my library. Anyone interested in giving me some recommendations? I listen mostly to:

Galneryus, Seventh Wonder, Lost Horizon, Machiae Supremacy, Rhapsody of Fire, Kamelot, Symphony X, Power Glove.

Outside of Prog/Power I'm into Doom/Death, Techdeath, Melodeath, and Melodic Black Metal.

One Recommendation I have been giving everyone is Animals as Leaders.

Tech Death: Behold... the Arctopus, Gorguts, Obscura, Gojira ( Prog Tech Death), 

Prog: Chimpspanner, Spastic Ink, Blotted Science, Gordian Knot, Don Caballero, Cloudkicker , Preiphery. I am not sure if Pelican and Isis can be included.

Sludge(maybe a little doomy- not all of them): Sun O))), Kylesa, Baroness, Torche, Boris and of Course Mastodon.

Oct 9, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #4,492 of 29,687
September has been the best month for 'Metal' in 2011.

Thoughts!!

Oct 10, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #4,496 of 29,687

Quote:
I don't like sludge very much.

Would you suggest some songs that exemplify each of those artists' works?

Behold The Arctopus

Animals As Leaders - On Impulse.. I feel you have to listen to the whole album to get the feel.

Sun O)) - Agartha Can be categorized under Doom( I am not sure)

Boris - Farewell ( I don't think this is Doom- But its weirdly pleasant)

Gojira- Oroborous ( The Way of All Flesh is a really good album)

Periphery - Totla Mad ( Since you love Power, you might like em)

Oct 10, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #4,497 of 29,687
Score for the Periphery, AAL and Gojira links above.
I can't help but notice that theres alot of Death/Black metal on this thread, with only little glints of anything else.

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #4,498 of 29,687
Score for the Periphery, AAL and Gojira links above.I can't help but notice that theres alot of Death/Black metal on this thread, with only little glints of anything else. 

There are other kinds of metal?

Just kidding....

Look a bit harder at this thread, tons of great stuff:

Leprous's Bilateral, Anubis Gate self-titled release, Mastodon's The Hunter, Machine Head's Unto The Locust, and Opeth's Heritage (not your typical release).

If you haven't already, I *really* would go check out Leprous and Anubis Gate.

I must be the only one here that yawns at Animals As Leaders.

Now this Tuesday Bjork's Biophilia comes out which is really something special:

Tesla Coil FTW! Above is a demo of how they use the Tesla Coil in the song "Thunderbolt" which can be heard here:

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #4,499 of 29,687

Quote:
Score for the Periphery, AAL and Gojira links above.I can't help but notice that theres alot of Death/Black metal on this thread, with only little glints of anything else. 

I am bad at identifying genre's   
biggrin.gif

What should I say, I recommended something I like hoping that is what they were looking for....

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back