Lets Talk Metal
Oct 5, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #4,471 of 29,702

Quote:
What are peoples Opinions on Opeths latest release?I'm loving heritage, I do really like the clean, acoustic, and piano style, they pull it off well.I read in an interview that they have also turned down the gain on their electric tone, it was a bold move, They claim that it brings out a more natural tone, you hear the instruments better.I feel that they've turned down the gain, and lost alot of clarity, it sounds like a really poorly setup amp, its not distortion, and its not overdrive, its a sort of muddy tone, that dissapoints me really, I have heard much more natural, lower gain guitar sounds. 

I am no expert but somehow I felt 'Damnation'  sounded better than 'Heritage' in terms of recording.. Thoughts!!!

Loved the album though.

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #4,473 of 29,702
Hey cats…not crashing the party. I just came across a piece on black metal in a mainstream mag and was wondering how accurate it was. Really interested in hearing thoughts on it from folks who know.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/musical/2011/10/10/111010crmu_music_frerejones

Great article! I am actually doing a little research myself to write something up on the USBM scene.

A little hidden gem is Ash Borer's self-titled full release debut. Download and listen (it was limited to 150 cassettes so good luck with that).

Oct 6, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #4,475 of 29,702
I do feel that any Band that cultures an image rather than writing music aren't worth listening to.
Once people start talking about different scenes, selling out, 'mainstream'  any buzz word, sub-genre, what band members look like, their personal lives etc. I just stop listening to the person, I'll check out the music, and make a desicion based on that.
I'm more than happy to talk about the music, and emotional connections with it, playing, theory behind it, production of the record etc.
Metal does suffer from idiotic fans, who just want to be different, smash people up at gigs, be brutal, make noise.
But at the same time, it has some extremely cultured, knowledgeable, technically great, and genuine musicians scattered about.
Sorry, felt like a little rant or something....

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #4,477 of 29,702
Trippppp !!!

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #4,478 of 29,702

Quote:
Please do not mistake Liturgy for a black metal band. They're indie hipsters, trying the whole BM-shtick to either score goth ***** or look manly. 

Indeed. Liturgy is pretty much a perfect example of hipster blackmetal. This interview is actually quite funny, especially the bandmates looks. The lead singer tries way too hard to be intellectual and they know it...

Oct 6, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #4,479 of 29,702

Quote:

Indeed. Liturgy is pretty much a perfect example of hipster blackmetal. This interview is actually quite funny, especially the bandmates looks. The lead singer tries way too hard to be intellectual and they know it...

At the end of the interview they other band mates should have shot the dude on the extreme right, point blank. That would have been 'transcendental'

EDIT::Music is what it is. Why do people have to make it so complicated by talking...

Oct 6, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #4,481 of 29,702

It would definetly transcend him allright.
biggrin.gif

I believe he was a Columbia philosophy major (did he drop out?). There is some letter to him from Woe's Chris that is quite interesting and basically tells him to f off.

Liturgy's album IS on Spotify if you want to hear what a .... nevermind....

Seriously Ash Borer, Fell Voices, Fauna, and Leviathan are some of your major players in the underground USBM community.

And of course there is...

Always...

WEAKLING! (1 album but it made quite a mark)

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #4,482 of 29,702
Weakling, Absu, Chaos Moon, Lurker of Chalice, Leviathan.

Check out Chaos Moon's "Languor into echoes beyond". Just found my cd again after misplacing half my usbm cd's while moving. Amazing album. Fuzzy and buzzy, jangly and shimmery, highspeed atmospheric black metal.

Oct 7, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #4,483 of 29,702
Weakling, Absu, Chaos Moon, Lurker of Chalice, Leviathan.
Check out Chaos Moon's "Languor into echoes beyond". Just found my cd again after misplacing half my usbm cd's while moving. Amazing album. Fuzzy and buzzy, jangly and shimmery, highspeed atmospheric black metal.

Know it, like it, but forgot them. Good recommendation.

Absu/s latest is streaming somewhere online. I'm still trying to figure out Absu in my Black Metal studies.

Oct 7, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #4,485 of 29,702
@Negakinu/MaZa:

Order of Orias is about to release their first LP on W-T-C. They are an Australian BM outfit who are just really talented. Give a listen to a new track entitled Bleak One. OoO have a very full big sound. I really look forward to their release later this month.

Let me know what you guys think.

EDIT: 300! Do I win something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back