Lets Talk Metal
Aug 9, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #3,871 of 29,682
Blergh.... Sounds really bad IMO. I personally don't like this type of metal.

I prefer stuff like Dream Theater, Kamelot, Iced Earth, Disturbed, Amon Amarth, Nightwish, In Flames, Veil of Maya, Fear Factory (older stuff), Scar Symmetry, Killswitch Engage, Old Mans Child, Devil Driver, Opeth, Metallica, Megadeth, Gorlock, Children of Bodom, Avantasia, and many many more.

I mostly prefer the more symphonic type stuff like Scar Symmetry and Dream Theater.

Quote:
these guys are coming to my town in september. i am going to go see them. hopefully.

Aug 9, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #3,873 of 29,682
Appreciate the feedback. Will consider and look into all the recommendations. Thanks.

Quote:

That's a tough one. If you can stretch your budget to $299, I would recommend the Beyer DT1350. The 880 is fine with classical and jazz, but it's a bit polite for metal for my taste. Mostly I just couldn't stand the "CLACK!" sound the Beyers made every time I adjusted them slightly on my head. Some like the Audio-Technica AD900 with metal, they are within your budget and may be worth a listen. The D2000 will work, and you can use it as a jumping off point to eventually reach a great headphone as your budget allows (start by adding JMoney pads, then the MarkL mod, and then eventually new cups and wiring.) You don't need to bust the bank on the Jena that Lawton uses, something much more affordable like the Zeus cable will work. The stock Denon is ok with metal but a bit unrefined for classical and jazz.

Quote:
Below $250, DT880 or D2000 are your best bet.

But considering you have some pretty good speakers, I highly doubt anything in that range will wow you. I have the LCD2s, T1s, ED8s, etc and I still love kicking back to my lowly Z5500 setup.

Quote:
Take a look at some Ultrasones. They are the kings of metal IMO.

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #3,874 of 29,682
Was watching Beavis and Butthead while having a beer after the gym and this song by Grim Reaper came on and I found a much better version on youtube:

It kicks ass.

Aug 9, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #3,875 of 29,682
Their style is just up my alley! Good find for me man.

Quote:
Maybe you just didn't mention them but if you like Avantasia I'm pretty you will like Edguy same guy behind it all just a stable band instead of the all the guest stars.

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #3,876 of 29,682
Have you ever checked out Adagio? You may like some of their older stuff:

Quote:
Blergh.... Sounds really bad IMO. I personally don't like this type of metal.

I prefer stuff like Dream Theater, Kamelot, Iced Earth, Disturbed, Amon Amarth, Nightwish, In Flames, Veil of Maya, Fear Factory (older stuff), Scar Symmetry, Killswitch Engage, Old Mans Child, Devil Driver, Opeth, Metallica, Megadeth, Gorlock, Children of Bodom, Avantasia, and many many more.

I mostly prefer the more symphonic type stuff like Scar Symmetry and Dream Theater.

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #3,877 of 29,682
Hangin' my window and my magnum takin' out some putos

What I thought was clipping at first in the video is actually the bass guitar. This shows up a couple more times on the album where I thought something went wrong lol.

What a great album to jam to.

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #3,878 of 29,682

Quote:
Hangin' my window and my magnum takin' out some putos

What I thought was clipping at first in the video is actually the bass guitar. This shows up a couple more times on the album where I thought something went wrong lol.

What a great album to jam to.

I have every RaTM album. Super fun stuff, man! 

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #3,879 of 29,682
This guys kick some serious ass. 

Check out their whole album Antares. It is insane.

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #3,880 of 29,682
Their guitar work reminds me of In Flames. In fact they sound very similar but I do not like the vocals.

Quote:
This guys kick some serious ass. 

Check out their whole album Antares. It is insane.

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #3,881 of 29,682
In Flames' Jotun in modern melodic death style. This is pretty friggin good actually, and this is what In Flames should sound like in 2011. If they were putting out records like this, I'd be buying them.

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #3,882 of 29,682
Hey guys,

So I'm on a huge Buckethead kick right now.

I'm looking for more like this track right here (start at 48 seconds and listen for another 20 seconds). I'd love to find more like this sound. I have a few albums that are like this kind of metal without vocals (I prefer zero vocals unless they are a female opera type voice sometimes for a solo). I have Buckethead albums (no vocals), John Petrucci (no vocals, amazing guitar work) and some Michael Angelo Butio (no vocals, crazy guitar work). But again, like the link above, the melodic strum is amazing. I want more like that.

Any suggestions?

Very best,

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #3,884 of 29,682

Quote:
Hey guys,

So I'm on a huge Buckethead kick right now.

I'm looking for more like this track right here (start at 48 seconds and listen for another 20 seconds). I'd love to find more like this sound. I have a few albums that are like this kind of metal without vocals (I prefer zero vocals unless they are a female opera type voice sometimes for a solo). I have Buckethead albums (no vocals), John Petrucci (no vocals, amazing guitar work) and some Michael Angelo Butio (no vocals, crazy guitar work). But again, like the link above, the melodic strum is amazing. I want more like that.

Any suggestions?

Very best,

You might check out Marty Friedman's (ex-Megadeth) solo album, Music for Speeding. Obviously great guitar work, and no vocals. Scale the Summit's Collective and Carving Desert Canyons are both really good too, although a little less focused on the guitar.

Other than that, I'm a big fan of djent, or whatever they are calling this style of music these days. 
  1. Cloudkicker
  2. Dan Dankmeyer
  3. Animals as Leaders
  4. Tesseract
  5. Periphery
  6. Chimp Spanner
  7. Gru

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #3,885 of 29,682
That might be a reason as to why I like them. But it is the mix of everything. For example how they manage to blend the part that starts at 2:22 with the rest of the song, the different vocals they use. 

Quote:
haha i can see why you like them bullseye, its Melodeth with a almost Djenty sound to it :p

Zombie X, the vocals take some time to get used to. It is not the kind of pitch you get to enjoy from the start. If you hear the album as a whole you get to appreciate the vocals.

Check out this song (that happens to go after Revive my Wounds)

And another band + album I should bring back is Tesseract - One, due to songs like this one:

Did anyone say vocal range? 

(Uh, Oh... it was me up there :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back