Lets Talk Metal
Jan 17, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #27,001 of 29,654
Been on a huge post/sludge kick lately. It usually happens when I get new gear because it's recorded so well.

Jan 20, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #27,006 of 29,654
Despite buying almost all their albums, I wouldn't call myself a huge fan either; more like somewhere in the middle. I'm assuming you've heard Eternal and Above.

I've heard 'em all, just something about them never really clicked fully with me. It's like Celtic Frost. I get what's happening and why they're so well regarded, it's just not quite on my wavelength.

Jan 20, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #27,007 of 29,654
I've heard 'em all, just something about them never really clicked fully with me. It's like Celtic Frost. I get what's happening and why they're so well regarded, it's just not quite on my wavelength.

I know what you mean. I usually just play a few tracks from various albums when I listen to them. "The Cross" is probably my favorite Samael track, though.

On a related note, I've been waiting so many years for new material from this band: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/The_Kovenant/92

They're one of those bands who keep saying they have new stuff, but it's taking forever to finish.

Jan 20, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #27,009 of 29,654
I've been waiting so many years for new material from this band: https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/The_Kovenant/92

They're one of those bands who keep saying they have new stuff, but it's taking forever to finish.
I wouldn't hold my breath. From past experience when a band takes 10+ years to put out new music it's usually not a good sign. I think it's pressure on the artist to come out with something really monumental after a long layoff, knowing full well that anything less gets flushed down the toilet by hardass metal media. Wintersun comes to mind here. :)

Jan 20, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #27,011 of 29,654
Jari Maenpaa is such a trashpile. At least Blake Judd actually made music when he stole everyone's money and could blame it on heroin.

Jan 20, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #27,012 of 29,654
I wouldn't hold my breath. From past experience when a band takes 10+ years to put out new music it's usually not a good sign. I think it's pressure on the artist to come out with something really monumental after a long layoff, knowing full well that anything less gets flushed down the toilet by hardass metal media. Wintersun comes to mind here. :)

They said they had part of their next album completed, but yes, I'll just consider it a bonus if/when it comes out. This type of thing happens all the time.

Jan 20, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #27,013 of 29,654
I'll just consider it a bonus if/when it comes out.
Exactly.

The other demotivating factor is that there's no money in making music anymore. Especially with older bands that have the bottom line figured out, unlike young up-and-coming bands with ambition and fire to burn.

PS: I just fired up Nexus Polaris and man, that's a long way from Industrial Metal :)

Jan 20, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #27,014 of 29,654
The other demotivating factor is that there's no money in making music anymore. Especially with older bands that have the bottom line figured out, unlike young up-and-coming bands with ambition and fire to burn.

True. But there was never much money in extreme metal to begin with. Nearly all the bands (including many of the most successful ones) supported themselves with other jobs.

If I ever get around to properly recording my own music, I plan on putting it on Bandcamp with the name your price option.

PS: I just fired up Nexus Polaris and man, that's a long way from Industrial Metal :)

I presume that's because of the band being brought up here rather than coincidence?

It's cool that they remixed/rerecorded their 1997 debut album in 2002.

Although I'm all about black metal (click!), I also love every other metal genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back