Lets Talk Metal
Dec 2, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #25,308 of 29,637

OMG. Hilarious genre name. (Though EDM already stands for electronic dance music...and I don't see "electronic djent music" mentioned anywhere on the link...so perhaps that was just your own joke?)

I absolutely loooove this. I've come up with music like this myself: metal with crazy electronic stuff mixed in.

It's a travesty that this band is not listed on Metal Archives...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Algorithm

It's listed there as IDM (intelligent dance music), trance, hardcore techno, and progressive metal. And: "The Algorithm melds several types of electronic and electronic dance music with progressive metal (including djent and mathcore)."

LMAO! http://thealgorithm.bandcamp.com/album/brute-force-overclock-dlc-midi

"‘Overclock,’ the official DLC expansion pack to The Algorithm’s latest full-length album, ’Brute Force’, heats things up with 3 brand new tracks + a ‘floating point” remix by veteran glitch/idm producer Drumcorps."

Here's a free download: http://thealgorithm.bandcamp.com/album/floating-point-vaporwave-remix

Glad you love that. Ya, I make it up the genre
tongue.gif
. I'm not surprised metal-archive not listed The Algorithm. They are not metal enough and too much djent in it. Sometime I think Metallum is really hating on djent genre.

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #25,310 of 29,637
Dec 2, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #25,311 of 29,637
I love electronic music and can't help but imagine that metalheads would like artists like Autechre, Pan Sonic, and Richard Devine much more than that Algorithm stuff, lol
wink_face.gif

*psh* I like Autechre but adore The Algorithm.

But I guess I shouldn't have generalized so much. Here, let me rephrase that: I think any metalhead who dislikes The Algorithm hates and/or simply cannot handle pure awesomeness.
tongue.gif

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #25,312 of 29,637
*psh* I like Autechre but adore The Algorithm.

But I guess I shouldn't have generalized so much. Here, let me rephrase that: I think any metalhead who dislikes The Algorithm hates and/or simply cannot handle pure awesomeness. :p

Dude, that wasn't any better, lol...

Merzbow and recent Pan Sonic should satisfy most electronic lovin' metalheads \m/ \m/

When I was in college, there was a Chinese restaurant near campus that had electronic music every Friday night in its basement bar. I only went once, and that was when they had an electronic tribute to heavy metal music. It was absolutely Fantabulous!!!

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #25,313 of 29,637
Dude, that wasn't any better, lol...

Merzbow and recent Pan Sonic should satisfy most electronic lovin' metalheads \m/ \m/

When I was in college, there was a Chinese restaurant near campus that had electronic music every Friday night in its basement bar. I only went once, and that was when they had an electronic tribute to heavy metal music. It was absolutely Fantabulous!!!

hehe, I tend to be silly at times, don't mind me. <3

I can't think of any electronic genre I don't like. My tastes in music are like: metal > electronic > classical > everything else. So combining two or more is okay in my book, even (or really, especially) if it sounds like a hyperactive drug trip.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #25,314 of 29,637
Dec 2, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #25,315 of 29,637
@ monsterzero

You need to maybe get used to extreme vocals. I'm 55 in March and became used to Black Metal vocals in the mid-1990s. Most of us here have gone from pop music in youth to rock, then metal then extreme metal. It's learning to acquire new taste. It's getting out of your comfort zone. For me I started with guitar, because I didn't understand the vocals in extreme metal. I listened to the parts of the songs I liked then over years I started to understand and like harsh vocals. This year for me was getting used to dissonant guitar chords. The start was tough, but the payoffs are there in the end. Cheers!:D

By the way...........I have read all 25K posts in this thread, and learned a Schiit-ton, it never ends.........................................

Dec 2, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #25,318 of 29,637
  Glam: Do you like T.Rex? I love pretty much all of Marc Bolan's work...and my guilty pleasure is,was,and will always be Hanoi Rocks!
One of the best bands ever! Andy McCoy is a very underrated songwriter and they have a ton of very original catchy tunes.I love every one of their albums!

And to be clear i absolutely hate hair and glam bands,but Hanoi was different.

Its all good man,I truly appreciate every suggestion that has come my way...even though I havent found a single band(yet)that I would dare mention in the same breath as Priest or Accept,I still have found some good stuff that Ive added to my metal collection.

I do like T. Rex and Hanoi Rocks. I recently finished an excellent book on glam called Shock and Awe: Glam Rock and Its Legacy, from the Seventies to the Twenty-first Century by Simon Reynolds, highly recommended. I helped out a bit with his post-punk book a decade back. Post-punk was my main thing as far as what I featured on my radio show back in the day -- Joy Division, Gang of Four, Public Image Ltd. (early), The Birthday Party, The Pop Group, Magazine, Wire, Pere Ubu, Slits, Feelies, Wipers, Comsat Angels, Chameleons, The Sound, Mission Of Burma, This Heat, Au Pairs, etc.

It's difficult to compare bands of a different era with Priest and Accept (what about Maiden?). They were the originals forging the DNA of metal. The rest just live in their universe. That said, there are a dozen or so newer bands that on any given day I'd prefer listening to over those two. There is great stuff out there, you just need time to absorb and sort out the faves.

I'm sorry if my joke about suggesting wildly different subgenres triggered a tiff. I was just teasing. I like how passionate everyone is. 

Dec 2, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #25,319 of 29,637
350x700px-LL-1118fcf9_2845153-5167874968-tumbl.gif

I totally agree @Tom Yum Goong. I love electronic music and can't help but imagine that metalheads would like artists like Autechre, Pan Sonic, and Richard Devine much more than that Algorithm stuff, lol
wink_face.gif

Author & Punisher is also incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back