Lets Talk Metal
Dec 2, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #25,322 of 29,662
Oh, snap. The Algorithm has another Bandcamp with free downloads of his old stuff!

http://intothealgorithm.bandcamp.com/album/doppler-effect
http://intothealgorithm.bandcamp.com/album/critical-error
http://intothealgorithm.bandcamp.com/album/identity

And here are two of his other newer albums.

http://music.basickrecords.com/album/polymorphic-code
http://music.basickrecords.com/album/octopus4

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #25,323 of 29,662
Regarding Author & Punisher, check out the pictures of the machines he hand-makes. Some of it looks like some of the custom audiophile gear one sees in this forum!

http://fastnbulbous.com/rebuilding-sound-from-scratch-author-punisher-and-wardruna-invigorate-their-genres-from-the-bottom-up/

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #25,324 of 29,662
  Regarding Author & Punisher, check out the pictures of the machines he hand-makes. Some of it looks like some of the custom audiophile gear one sees in this forum!

http://fastnbulbous.com/rebuilding-sound-from-scratch-author-punisher-and-wardruna-invigorate-their-genres-from-the-bottom-up/

Yeah man, the dude is an engineer, everything he makes is insane. Heavy metal in the literal sense!

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #25,327 of 29,662
Yeah but this isnt real metal.

What is real metal and who decide what is ?

I thought I grew up listening to metal in the 80's and 90' but apparently not
smily_headphones1.gif
. Iron Maiden, Accept etc. are just plain rock ?[/quote]

It's actually kinda funny, depends on who you ask!

Lemmy, for example, always denied that Motorhead were metal. He always just called them rock n roll. But if they're rock, what DOES that make other bands? 

It's all a big mush of gradients, y'know? Like, where is a line? Where can you take two bands that are JUST on either side of rock/metal? Is there any time where you can go "okay, THIS is rock, but THIS is metal," just on the border? I don't think so. We all call AC/DC hard rock, but Zeppelin metal. Why? 

For that matter, why does everyone act like whether or not something is "true metal" is some judgment of quality? If two people disagree on whether a band is metal or not, it's just a talk of categorization, not whether or not it's any good. I like a ton of non-metal, and if I found myself trying to explain why something is or isn't metal I sure as hell ain't calling it good or bad. 

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #25,328 of 29,662

Lemmy, for example, always denied that Motorhead were metal. He always just called them rock n roll. But if they're rock, what DOES that make other bands? 

It's all a big mush of gradients, y'know? Like, where is a line? Where can you take two bands that are JUST on either side of rock/metal? Is there any time where you can go "okay, THIS is rock, but THIS is metal," just on the border? I don't think so. We all call AC/DC hard rock, but Zeppelin metal. Why? 

For that matter, why does everyone act like whether or not something is "true metal" is some judgment of quality? If two people disagree on whether a band is metal or not, it's just a talk of categorization, not whether or not it's any good. I like a ton of non-metal, and if I found myself trying to explain why something is or isn't metal I sure as hell ain't calling it good or bad. 

See and Zeppelin not only don't want to be considered metal, they don't even want to be seen as influences on metal. I don't think they are anyway, they were more blues-inspired rock in my mind. Whereas I would see AC/DC as kind of a bridge between hair metal and 90s metal.

Whatever doesn't matter. If you come to this particular thread looking for basic "heavy metal" recommends it might not happen as most people here seem to be into extreme metal.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #25,329 of 29,662

Interestingly, I noticed that after 2000 or so, there were official In Flames shirts that said "hard rock" instead of metal, even though at that point they were definitely still metal. (Now they're basically alternative metal, which some would consider more hard rock than metal.)

And yeah, I don't care what genre a song is in the end, as long as I like it.

One thing that's difficult to express with metal (and easy with, say, classical), however, is delicate, poignant emotions. I guess it just has too much aggressive energy for that.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #25,330 of 29,662
  See and Zeppelin not only don't want to be considered metal, they don't even want to be seen as influences on metal. I don't think they are anyway, they were more blues-inspired rock in my mind. Whereas I would see AC/DC as kind of a bridge between hair metal and 90s metal.

Whatever doesn't matter. If you come to this particular thread looking for basic "heavy metal" recommends it might not happen as most people here seem to be into extreme metal.

Zeppelin is not metal and yeah youre right,theyre blues based rock.

AC/DC is a bit harder to categorize.Their early stuff was also deeply rooted in blues,but got more metal-ish down the line...to the average Joe theyre metal tho IMO.

As to the last part,yes ,I felt like the dude who wasnt invited nor welcomed to the party because I wasnt looking extreme metal.

I will also cool my jets.Apologies.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #25,331 of 29,662

Yeah. I think it's just because a lot of us are usually on the adventurous side, trying out new stuff a lot so our tastes end up all over the dang place.

I'm not posting obscure metal out of some snooty "oh you don't like REAL metal" sense, it's just that Spotify/BandCamp have made it so I can constantly find new albums and I like digging around for gems, y'know? 

That's actually why Maryland Deathfest is a great time and if you get a chance to drop by, you should. They have metal of all stripes, from 70s traditional to modern insanity, all under the same umbrella and everyone just having a beer and enjoying themselves. Y'know, like it should be!

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #25,332 of 29,662
Sorry monsterzero, this thread goes very fast impossible to read all.

Yeah it depends on who you ask. Personally I am not a big fan of all this categorisation but for communication it does help.
And Udo is still true Accept :)

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #25,333 of 29,662
Sorry monsterzero, this thread goes very fast impossible to read all.

Yeah it depends on who you ask. Personally I am not a big fan of all this categorisation but for communication it does help.
And Udo is still true Accept
smily_headphones1.gif

Ahhhh...Udo vs. Mark...IMO Accept is as good as ever.Theyre one of the only bands that have successfully changed singers and didnt suffer IMO.

I listen to U.D.O. too,but I grew up listening to the very first Accept releases and U.D.O. recently said he was going to stop performing Accept tunes live....so if I wanna hear "China Lady" or "Lady Lou" or "Fast as a Shark" I need to stick with Accept.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #25,334 of 29,662

Zeppelin is not metal and yeah youre right,theyre blues based rock.

AC/DC is a bit harder to categorize.Their early stuff was also deeply rooted in blues,but got more metal-ish down the line...to the average Joe theyre metal tho IMO.

As to the last part,yes ,I felt like the dude who wasnt invited nor welcomed to the party because I wasnt looking extreme metal.

I will also cool my jets.Apologies.

For me, that was not at all what I was trying to do, sorry for coming across like that. All metalheads are welcome here:)

Who knows, if you stick around we both might end up discovering new stuff..

Right now I am listening to Mare Cognitum - An Extraconscious Lucidity and loving it - it is soooo good. 5 years ago I would have hated this album for a lot of the reasons you would have. Tastes change if you are open to it

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back