Lets Talk Metal
Jun 7, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #23,266 of 29,653
[VIDEO] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SfqNG8QYsBw [/VIDEO]

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #23,267 of 29,653
[VIDEO]. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp5tnncIDXs [/VIDEO]

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #23,268 of 29,653
I sometimes get distraught when this thread goes silent...but now that I've mentioned tech-death, it's come to life!
biggrin.gif

My favorite track from that release is this one:

Beyond Creation, Gorod, Early Faceless, Necrophagist, Psycroptic, Decrepit Birth, Neuraxis, Arkaik, Vale of Pnath, Spawn of Possession, Anomalous, Monumental Torment, Alarum, Brought By Pain are I think those which I would call Tech Death.

Suffocation is Death that is Technical
Wormed and Katalpsy is Technical Death that is Brutal 

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

So do ya think you can give me one highlight track each for your favorite bands in the genre? It would really help me out. I tagged you in my original post about it because I know you're knowledgeable.

I feel like there's one giant, near revolutionary tech-death release that has been left out of this conversation so I'll just leave it here....

I have liked Cryptopsy for awhile.
cool.gif

Ah man, how could I forget Gorod? @Music Alchemist - you must check them out.

Alrighty! Added to my list.

Pyrrhon is just wankery to me. Pure musician wankery that is nearly unlistenable. It's like listening to a bunch of Jazz musicians doing improv and patting themselves on the back. Something about it just drives me insane.

"Wankery" is how I would describe a lot of music. I don't even know where to start with this little pet peeve of mine.

I was in a jazz band for a year (even got to rehearse and perform with Ira Sullivan on occasion!), and we would often play ridiculously fast and intricate material. It was an interesting experience, but I don't know if I'd be able to stand listening to it on my own. Contrast this with my favorite jazz song (ironically from a video game...lol), which is more laid-back and has more melody and atmosphere:

Jun 7, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #23,269 of 29,653
  "Wankery" is how I would describe a lot of music. I don't even know where to start with this little pet peeve of mine.

I was in a jazz band for a year (even got to rehearse and perform with Ira Sullivan on occasion!), and we would often play ridiculously fast and intricate material. It was an interesting experience, but I don't know if I'd be able to stand listening to it on my own. Contrast this with my favorite jazz song (ironically from a video game...lol), which is more laid-back and has more melody and atmosphere:

Haha, that is awesome. I really enjoy jazz from time to time, but I agree, those intricate passages can be really hard to stand sometimes. My favorite Jazz song is Goodbye Pork Pie Hat by Charles Mingus, and it is also a very laid back track.

There are far too many bands that are going full on wankery mode these days. It's a pet peeve of mine as well that is getting harder and harder to live with.

Jun 7, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #23,270 of 29,653
  Totally agree about the other bands except Pyrrhon. I saw them live and I wanted to leave it was so hard to sit through. They played with Artificial Brain and they were absolutely killer, but Pyrrhon is just wankery to me. Pure musician wankery that is nearly unlistenable. It's like listening to a bunch of Jazz musicians doing improv and patting themselves on the back. Something about it just drives me insane.

A wise (wo)man once wrote that Pyrrhon is the living embodiment of a Critics' Band who get glowing reviews from critics, but remain nigh-impenetrable for anyone without a doctorate in music theory. Their style of weirdness admittedly works better in recorded format, coupled with the lyrics and literary references therein (their vocalist Doug Moore is one of my favorite lyric writers). Growth Without End EP is bit more accessible, thanks to shorter length songs and more grind-ish approach and attitude.

Jun 7, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #23,271 of 29,653
  Haha, that is awesome. I really enjoy jazz from time to time, but I agree, those intricate passages can be really hard to stand sometimes. My favorite Jazz song is Goodbye Pork Pie Hat by Charles Mingus, and it is also a very laid back track.

There are far too many bands that are going full on wankery mode these days. It's a pet peeve of mine as well that is getting harder and harder to live with.

Oh, did you actually listen to my jazz song? hehe

Interestingly, both of these threads were started by the same person:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution
http://www.head-fi.org/t/777266/best-headphones-for-jazz

I can appreciate complexity if it grips me or makes me feel a certain emotion. Some of the music I compose (mostly in my head) is totally off the wall, but it's an expression of how I feel or something I want to convey. Too bad I don't have a recording studio or much knowledge about how to make what I hear in my head manifest in the real world...

Jun 7, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #23,272 of 29,653
Totally agree about the other bands except Pyrrhon. I saw them live and I wanted to leave it was so hard to sit through. They played with Artificial Brain and they were absolutely killer, but Pyrrhon is just wankery to me. Pure musician wankery that is nearly unlistenable. It's like listening to a bunch of Jazz musicians doing improv and patting themselves on the back. Something about it just drives me insane.

You can say the same about other albums like Mastery's Valis, Liturgy's Aesthethica and Pyramids' A Northern Meadow. I am going off the rails, but the way they played music is more seemed to be "wanky", or how I would put it - "artsy", so it's understandable and respectable that such music is unpenetratable to most seasoned listeners. Of course, this sort of "wanky" music doesn't click with me all the time as well. Some examples that I can think of would be Diablo Swing Orchestra and Blotted Science (well, it's just me).

With careful and doses of difficult listenings of The Mother of Virtues, I find Pyrrhon to be more or less likes freedom of expressions over traditions of heaviness, but at the same time, I can appreciate how they made every note and sound worked together as a whole without being just another typically well written death metal album, regardless of what it is about. It's all based on my music journey so far, really, so I am not exactly right on this one.

I won't go as far as say that they are an emotionally-driven band, but denying that they didn't caused me to think about myself and the world, which was pretty much the concept of the album far more than I always thought that when I have to, I believe.

Appreciated the replies. It's really good to have people having differences that supported by their own reasons, regardless of how we feel about them in the end.

Now then, to take a break from all the tech death talks, an album that I am totally late to the party but obssesed with anyways very recently is Power Trip' Manifest Decimation. I don't know how to exactly describe it, but I just found it to be totally refreshing and original from whatever I have listened to all these time around.

Watched a video of the band performed as well. It's just so hard to see many bands and artists that doesn't take themselves too seriously / being too hypocritical and actually looked rather cool and friendly while performing anymore.

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #23,273 of 29,653
  I sometimes get distraught when this thread goes silent...but now that I've mentioned tech-death, it's come to life!
biggrin.gif

My favorite track from that release is this one:

So do ya think you can give me one highlight track each for your favorite bands in the genre? It would really help me out. I tagged you in my original post about it because I know you're knowledgeable.

I have liked Cryptopsy for awhile.
cool.gif

Alrighty! Added to my list.

Suffocation:

Katalpesy

Gorod

Decrepit Birth

Jun 8, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #23,275 of 29,653

Thanks! Didn't you say that Beyond Creation is your favorite band?

Since they only have two albums, I can just listen to them both without having to worry about sifting through so many.

Beyond creation is awesome \m/

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #23,276 of 29,653
Well, I just listened to Beyond Creation's two albums back to back.

It's pretty much what I would expect from reading that they are progressive/technical death metal. Certainly more creative than average. Typical excellent production. You can tell they put forth effort interspersing unique sounds in the mix.

I definitely like their second album better. It's more intricate, yet has cohesiveness, and the vocals are less goofy.

Unfortunately, this style of death metal (actually, most death metal) comes off as pretentious to me—like a bunch of random riffs and leads that don't go anywhere and don't express anything to me. I don't really feel emotion while listening to it.

I do respect the solidly executed musicianship in the technical sense. But that's not enough. In the end, I am not impressed. In fact, I find it boring and soulless.

I know I like some tech-death, such as Nile and Cryptopsy. I guess I'm just a lot pickier with DM than I am with BM.

Here are a few examples of (non-melodeath) death metal I do like, particularly because of how angry, passionate, and/or epic it is.

Jun 8, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #23,277 of 29,653

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #23,279 of 29,653
  Unfortunately, this style of death metal (actually, most death metal) comes off as pretentious to me—like a bunch of random riffs and leads that don't go anywhere and don't express anything to me. I don't really feel emotion while listening to it.

I do respect the solidly executed musicianship in the technical sense. But that's not enough. In the end, I am not impressed. In fact, I find it boring and soulless.

I guess I'm just a lot pickier with DM than I am with BM.

I find these points very interesting. I can't argue with the fact that it doesn't move you emotionally. We're all moved by different music and indeed that is a huge part of the appeal, what moves us, but as for the music not expressing anything, I have to disagree with you there. I think BM has a much clearer connection with emotion, but tech-death always makes me happier, and when I'm at a show, they are the only kinds of music where I have lost myself in a mosh pit and barely remembered what I was even doing while totally sober.

I can understand the boring part. Sometimes i get bored too. The most bored I've ever been was at a Nile show many years ago before I started getting into them more. I swore every song was the same one. It was so hard for me to listen to and I nearly fell asleep leaning against a wall. Love their music, especially the song User Maat Re, but I've seen them live probably 3 times and each time has been uninspiring.

The last point is what is really interesting, because you're such a musically inclined person I would think you'd be pickier with BM. I'm REALLY picky with BM. So much of it is too raw and, to me, lifeless and without anything to say except "I'm really angry, I like satan, and I'm cold." I will never understand the appeal of bedroom black metal. It all sounds exactly the same. BM feels like a genre for kids at a mall so often to me, especially when I see it live. They all take themselves so seriously! It's like the only thing that matters to them in the world, and they have to dress a certain way. One of the most appealing thing to me about death metal when I was a kid was the fact that all of them looked like they just didn't give a *****. They wore the same crappy jeans and band shirts that I wore and let their hair grow out. I loved the fact that nothing about metal cared about how you looked. As long as you could hulk around and bang your head, it didn't matter. You didn't need to wear a certain design aesthetic or put on makeup. You just had to be brutal. It made me feel less ****ty about the fat nerd that I was/am and instead just enjoy the moment. Everything else just felt like consumer pressure to buy something or have a certain emotion. I remember how angry I was when I read about all of the crap Cynic got. It's a shame that some people hold on to the anti-design that metal is and turn it into their dumb club like every other stupid sub-genre of any kind of music. I guess we all have that tendency, but I've personally never seen anything like that at a show, but I'm from the Portland, OR area and lived in Vegas for several years, and both places are overall extremely accepting and tolerant places.

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #23,280 of 29,653
Wow

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CI4I68UMaQo&ebc=ANyPxKqRiqbJM08yLTQILlPNBsGrGvf1ux_LW7NAdWGGIlHr94OA3XW9Kab6bvQc2UwdkNdI0cC1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back