Lets Talk Metal
Jun 5, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #23,237 of 29,669
I've liked Dark Funeral since the early 2000s...but I haven't heard all their stuff yet.

You may like the 2009 release!

http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2016/5/1/lord-ahriman-dark-funeral-interviewed

Jun 5, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #23,238 of 29,669

For any of us into the band, this was a worrisome release. I didn't like the EP, nor the last couple songs from the last album. Lucky there is only one song (7) on this new album with that progression in lyrical theme.

They really pulled it off. They have evolved in style but kept the sound. That is the tight-rope any of us would have wanted them to walk. Emperor Magus Caligula was their vocals on all the records and left the band in 2010, so it was a challenge to hear if the new vocals would change stuff. It sounds like the vocals are just slightly pulled in the mix from earlier releases, also the talking is a new style for them but works. All and all it is a good release and all we could expect. Nothing stays the same and were never going to get that hyper energy of the 2001 era again. They were able to add mood and imagination in the song structures and kept the guitar and drums sounding like the signature style as well as the vocals sound like Caligula, so the style is still there in that dept.too. All is well, it could have been a disaster.

Jun 5, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #23,239 of 29,669
[VIDEO] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mj0aT-iuLU [/VIDEO]

Some folks think the 1994 EP is the best.

There is also two different recordings of "The Secrets Of The Black Arts" for the completest.

Jun 5, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #23,240 of 29,669
@campj @wrathzombie & anyone else into tech-death:

I've been meaning to get more into it for awhile. Can you give me a list of your favorite bands (with most favorite first) in the genre along with one highlight track each? This would let me go through them more quickly and decide what I'd like to hear more of.

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #23,241 of 29,669

I've been meaning to get more into it for awhile. Can you give me a list of your favorite bands (with most favorite first) in the genre along with one highlight track each? This would let me go through them more quickly and decide what I'd like to hear more of.

Arkaik "Awaken the I"
Archspire "Scream Feeding"
Fallujah "Venom Upon the Blade"
Inanimate Existence "The Rune of Destruction"
Obscura "Akroasis"
Omnihility "Molecular Resurrection"
Origin "Malthusian Collapse"
Psycroptic "Slaves of Nil"
Vale of Pnath "Cerulean Eclipse"
Wormed "Tautochrone"

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #23,242 of 29,669

Not an expert but I've got a few recs:

Jun 5, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #23,243 of 29,669

Almost done with my first listen through the new Dark Funeral. To me they've been one of the more dependable black metal bands, always releasing solid material that I'll listen to multiple times but it's pretty much the same, they've never truly blown me away. Where Shadows Forever Reign is not attempting to break this cycle. Vocals are as killer as ever (and have really been quite consistent throughout the bands existence I feel like) despite the vocalist switch-up. Production is typical Dark Funeral, as are the riffs. This certainly isn't a bad thing but I don't think this album will surprise too many people. Favorite Song: The Eternal Eclipse

Discography

Studio albums

* The Secrets of the Black Arts (1996)
* Vobiscum Satanas (1998)
* Diabolis Interium (2001)
* Attera Totus Sanctus (2005)
* Angelus Exuro pro Eternus (2009)
* Where Shadows Forever Reign (2016)
Live albums

* De Profundis Clamavi Ad Te Domine (2004)
Extended plays

* Dark Funeral (1994)
* Teach Children to Worship Satan (2000)
* In the Sign… (2000)
* Nail Them to the Cross (2015)
Video albums

* Attera Orbis Terrarum - Part I (2007)
* Attera Orbis Terrarum - Part II (2008)

I rant about D.F. in this thread from time to time. In the late 1990s I made a connection with them, which I have never been able to shake-off. They are one of the top four Black Metal bands in the world to me. After getting the live DVDs they even grew closer to my heart. Still as with the last album before this new one, it takes me a while before I learn to like their music. I'm just hoping there are no love songs like the last couple on the previous album?

They have never been a band about musicianship unless you consider blindingly fast speed musicianship, which I do. They are really about musical imagination and memorable song-craft. IMO.

I'm truly amazed how little they are known about in this thread. A tragic event to me.

Magnus Broberg has evil vocals on the below -amazing 

Hypocrisy[edit]

1. Penetralia (1992)
  2. Osculum Obscenum (1993)
  3. Pleasure of Molestation (1993)

Jun 5, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #23,244 of 29,669
Jun 6, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #23,247 of 29,669
What I've been listening over the weekend: Vektor, Howls of Ebb, Sig:Ar:try, Phobocosm, Abyssal, Goatess, Haken, Vainaja, Jimi Hendrix anthology....

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #23,248 of 29,669

In alphabetical order:

Barus - Tarot
Demilich - When the Sun Drank the Weight of Water
Gorguts - An Ocean of Wisdom
Pyrrhon - Balkanized
Sarpanitum - By Virtuous Reclamation
Wormed - Pseudo-Horizon

To me, it is sometimes difficult to draw a clear line between progressive death and tech death. Some categorize Gorguts as avant-garde death, Pyrrhon and Demilich are definitely too weird to be pure tech death, Barus might be too Meshuggah-ish, while Sarpanitum is probably too brutal, but those elements just enrich the artistic output of both bands. Most importantly, each and every one of them involves impressive tech wizardry hijinks with soul.

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #23,249 of 29,669

Just so you know the Cannibal Corpse albums you have been listening to are Tech-Death, but most don't know they are genred that way.I was like you that I was into BM first then progressed on to DM. It's an aquired taste which finds the listener better-off to try to listen to the music in the background, later to notice small things and details.

These are some favorites.......

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Morbid_Angel/Blessed_Are_the_Sick/591
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Katalepsy/Autopsychosis/361562
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Aborted/Retrogore/563258
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Suffocation/Souls_to_Deny/39622

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #23,250 of 29,669
  I was like you that I was into BM first then progressed on to DM.

Well, I started listening to all extreme metal genres around the same time in the early 2000s, so you could say I was already "into" death metal; just not deeply into it yet. (I keep melodic death metal separate from other death metal, since I've been more into melodeath for a long time.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back