Lets Talk Metal
Jun 8, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #23,281 of 29,678
  One of the most appealing thing to me about death metal when I was a kid was the fact that all of them looked like they just didn't give a *****. They wore the same crappy jeans and band shirts that I wore and let their hair grow out. I loved the fact that nothing about metal cared about how you looked. As long as you could hulk around and bang your head, it didn't matter. You didn't need to wear a certain design aesthetic or put on makeup.

Hmm this sounds like every black metal show I've ever been to here in MN. Come check out the next Hammerheart Brewery (named after the Bathory album) festival! I think that might change your mind. Last year was two days of dark smokey beers brewed by Hammerheart (Austin Lunn, better known as Panopticon, is one of the founders) and something like 12-14 black metal bands. He has great taste in black metal, leaning more towards the folky, melodic stuff. 

No pretentious ******** just a bunch of metal fans talking about how much they love beer and each other's music, it's a great time.

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #23,282 of 29,678
  Hmm this sounds like every black metal show I've ever been to here in MN. Come check out the next Hammerheart Brewery (named after the Bathory album) festival! I think that might change your mind. Last year was two days of dark smokey beers brewed by Hammerheart (Austin Lunn, better known as Panopticon, is one of the founders) and something like 12-14 black metal bands. He has great taste in black metal, leaning more towards the folky, melodic stuff. 

No pretentious ******** just a bunch of metal fans talking about how much they love beer and each other's music, it's a great time.

That does sound like a great time. I'm so tired of dudes wearing corpse paint and leather bracers with nails in them while they talk about what is or isn't black metal. Uuuuuuuugh.

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #23,283 of 29,678
  That does sound like a great time. I'm so tired of dudes wearing corpse paint and leather bracers with nails in them while they talk about what is or isn't black metal. Uuuuuuuugh.

We may be very Scandinavian here but the corpse paint and elitism never really followed us over here. The metal scene isn't super prominent here on a national scale but we've got some great acts and the demand is certainly there. Not quite though, Electric Wizard didn't even sell out here somehow. I had a friend who wanted to see them in CA but tickets were $90, you could scalp them for $15 here...

But the crowds here have always been pretty solid, it definitely gets wild but it's all respectful.

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #23,284 of 29,678
  We may be very Scandinavian here but the corpse paint and elitism never really followed us over here. The metal scene isn't super prominent here on a national scale but we've got some great acts and the demand is certainly there. Not quite though, Electric Wizard didn't even sell out here somehow. I had a friend who wanted to see them in CA but tickets were $90, you could scalp them for $15 here...

But the crowds here have always been pretty solid, it definitely gets wild but it's all respectful.

Yeah, bands like Electric Wizard sell out in Portland in a day as soon as they're on sale. Trying to see Black Dahlia Murder is even difficult.

Vegas was especially terrible, guys showed up in corpse paint all the time. It was really weird. It was probably only about 10 guys that were regularly doing it, and they didn't always wear all of that crap.

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #23,285 of 29,678
  I find these points very interesting. I can't argue with the fact that it doesn't move you emotionally. We're all moved by different music and indeed that is a huge part of the appeal, what moves us, but as for the music not expressing anything, I have to disagree with you there. I think BM has a much clearer connection with emotion, but tech-death always makes me happier, and when I'm at a show, they are the only kinds of music where I have lost myself in a mosh pit and barely remembered what I was even doing while totally sober.

I can understand the boring part. Sometimes i get bored too. The most bored I've ever been was at a Nile show many years ago before I started getting into them more. I swore every song was the same one. It was so hard for me to listen to and I nearly fell asleep leaning against a wall. Love their music, especially the song User Maat Re, but I've seen them live probably 3 times and each time has been uninspiring.

The last point is what is really interesting, because you're such a musically inclined person I would think you'd be pickier with BM. I'm REALLY picky with BM. So much of it is too raw and, to me, lifeless and without anything to say except "I'm really angry, I like satan, and I'm cold." I will never understand the appeal of bedroom black metal. It all sounds exactly the same. BM feels like a genre for kids at a mall so often to me, especially when I see it live. They all take themselves so seriously! It's like the only thing that matters to them in the world, and they have to dress a certain way. One of the most appealing thing to me about death metal when I was a kid was the fact that all of them looked like they just didn't give a *****. They wore the same crappy jeans and band shirts that I wore and let their hair grow out. I loved the fact that nothing about metal cared about how you looked. As long as you could hulk around and bang your head, it didn't matter. You didn't need to wear a certain design aesthetic or put on makeup. You just had to be brutal. It made me feel less ****ty about the fat nerd that I was/am and instead just enjoy the moment. Everything else just felt like consumer pressure to buy something or have a certain emotion. I remember how angry I was when I read about all of the crap Cynic got. It's a shame that some people hold on to the anti-design that metal is and turn it into their dumb club like every other stupid sub-genre of any kind of music. I guess we all have that tendency, but I've personally never seen anything like that at a show, but I'm from the Portland, OR area and lived in Vegas for several years, and both places are overall extremely accepting and tolerant places.

That's why I said it didn't express anything to me.
wink_face.gif
Obviously the artists are expressing all sorts of things within themselves. I did acknowledge their creativity and musicianship. Also bear in mind that that post was only about that particular band.

I've always liked Nile. I tend to gravitate toward more aggressive types of death metal (which do invoke strong emotion in me) and metal in general. But I like artistic stuff too. As @SomeGuyDude once demonstrated, I pretty much like all metal. So when I criticize something, it's not because I hate it per se; it's just that there are so many things I happen to like more.

You reallllly need to listen to more black metal. It just might be the most diverse metal genre. I mean, it has influences from all the others, as well as non-metal genres like punk and classical. Trust me, there are countless BM bands that are nothing like you describe. There's a reason I listen to so much BM, and it's not because I'm a mallcore kiddie.
cool.gif

Side note: You probably remember that melodic death metal (not black metal) is my favorite metal genre.

Try watching the thread over the coming week or two. I may create a playlist for you showcasing the diversity of BM.

Jun 9, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #23,287 of 29,678
  That's why I said it didn't express anything to me.
wink_face.gif
Obviously the artists are expressing all sorts of things within themselves. I did acknowledge their creativity and musicianship. Also bear in mind that that post was only about that particular band.

I've always liked Nile. I tend to gravitate toward more aggressive types of death metal (which do invoke strong emotion in me) and metal in general. But I like artistic stuff too. As @SomeGuyDude once demonstrated, I pretty much like all metal. So when I criticize something, it's not because I hate it per se; it's just that there are so many things I happen to like more.

You reallllly need to listen to more black metal. It just might be the most diverse metal genre. I mean, it has influences from all the others, as well as non-metal genres like punk and classical. Trust me, there are countless BM bands that are nothing like you describe. There's a reason I listen to so much BM, and it's not because I'm a mallcore kiddie.
cool.gif

Side note: You probably remember that melodic death metal (not black metal) is my favorite metal genre.

Try watching the thread over the coming week or two. I may create a playlist for you showcasing the diversity of BM.

Didn't mean to call anyone a mallcore kiddie, just to be clear, just meant that the shows I've been to seemed to attract that kind of crowd, especially Dimmu Borgir back in their heyday. That was nuts. 

I enjoyed Myrkur a good bit, but other than that I haven't heard much that has resonated with me lately. I will patiently await a playlist.

Jun 9, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #23,288 of 29,678
I enjoyed Myrkur a good bit, but other than that I haven't heard much that has resonated with me lately. I will patiently await a playlist.

I guarantee you will love and hate some of it. Just be prepared to copy/paste into YouTube or wherever else, 'cause I'm only gonna make a list of tracks. I would recommend copying it into a text file for ease of access, so you can listen at your leisure. Naturally, feel free to skip tracks you have already heard.

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #23,289 of 29,678
Whaaat?!

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Cradle_of_Filth/Dusk..._and_Her_Embrace_-_The_Original_Sin/581898

This album contains the orginal recording of the band's second album from 1995 with the The Prinicple of Evil Made Flesh-lineup. Since the band did not like the result and the relationship with their then label (Cacophonous Records) got bad, they decided to not release it. Some members left Cradle of Filth to form The Blood Divine, while the rest plus new members recorded V empire... or Dark Faerytales in Phallustein, that was released instead of Dusk... and her Embrace via Cacophonous Records. In 1996 Music for Nations released the re-recorded version of Dusk... and her Embrace with the new lineup.

Out July 8th.

Jun 9, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #23,292 of 29,678

That's actually my favorite track on the album. I also really like the bonus track, which is an Iron Maiden cover!

It's pretty cool how Soilwork's vocalist always does session vocals for this band.

Bjorn and Alvestam <3

Both of them are amazing, love the collabs that Disarmonia Mundi have done.

Edit:

Solution .45 wikipedia page shows Nightmares in the waking state part 2 coming out this year?!?

Jun 9, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #23,294 of 29,678

Once, I bought some CDs at a Best Buy and the cashier told me she likes Disarmonia Mundi and even knows Abigor! Should've gotten her contact info...

And yeah, I listen to them all the time.

Wow, still waiting for that to happen to me :wink:

Rarely do I meet people in person who know disarmonia mundi xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back