Lets Talk Metal
Aug 23, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #20,116 of 29,652
I posted a link with the whole album a couple posts back. It is always nice to hear a woman sound like a singing woman in metal. Not only are the vocals cool, but the song stuctures are new and interesting.

There is a new place for this style of music in metal. I had thought I had heard it all until this one?

Not sure I follow? 

Aug 23, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #20,117 of 29,652
I posted a link with the whole album a couple posts back. It is always nice to hear a woman sound like a singing woman in metal. Not only are the vocals cool, but the song stuctures are new and interesting.

There is a new place for this style of music in metal. I had thought I had heard it all until this one?

Not sure I follow? 

Maybe what I was getting at earlier. The ethereal vocals are such a great counterpoint to the music. Admittedly, I have quite limited exposure to female metal lead vocalists, but what I've heard so far doesn't touch Myrkur's ethereal nature. I'm going to try those artists you recommended on the last page and see if my thoughts change.

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #20,118 of 29,652
Not sure I follow? 

Arch Enemy is maybe an example, where 2005s Doomsday Machine is produced perfect in every way. But to me the vocals don't sound female. I think when Andy Sneap recorded the album he just recorded them the way they are. Of course we only have one quality to the female vocals.

One of the greatest albums of 2005. IMO

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6jrfX1FpXAQ

Full album stream of "M" by Relapse Records

So Myrkur comes along and there is talent in that she not only has a female voice which she uses in the ethereal passages but in contrast sings black metal growls too, but you can HEAR it is a female in the black metal growls. IMO

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #20,119 of 29,652
Arch Enemy is maybe an example, where 2005s Doomsday Machine is produced perfect in every way. But to me the vocals don't sound female. I think when Andy Sneap recorded the album he just recorded them the way they are. Of course we only have one quality to the female vocals.

I remember when I first bought that album from Best Buy, when I lived in Florida. Went out to my Nissan Pathfinder, put the CD into the stereo, and within a few seconds, thought to myself, "OHHH, YESSS." That intro is so epic.

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #20,120 of 29,652
I remember when I first bought that album from Best Buy, when I lived in Florida. Went out to my Nissan Pathfinder, put the CD into the stereo, and within a few seconds, thought to myself, "OHHH, YESSS." That intro is so epic.

Doomsday Machine is my favorite album by them. The intro is amazing. Still it was maybe my best sounding album for a long time too. So not only is the music great but the album is recorded well. What can I say, I'm kind of an Andy Sneap fanboy? Lol But the sound of albums like this do it. I have it both on CD and vinyl and it just rules in the SQ department.

I'm a guitar player so maybe it's just how the guitars are recorded?

Hard to imagine it was out a full 10 years ago already?

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #20,121 of 29,652
Maybe what I was getting at earlier. The ethereal vocals are such a great counterpoint to the music. Admittedly, I have quite limited exposure to female metal lead vocalists, but what I've heard so far doesn't touch Myrkur's ethereal nature. I'm going to try those artists you recommended on the last page and see if my thoughts change.

I would say that Myrkur's vocals in the ethereal passages don't fit our tried and true idea of Black Metal. For that I think we are going to see a polarized crowd of listeners. Some will like it, other will not?

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #20,122 of 29,652
I would say that Myrkur's vocals in the ethereal passages don't fit our tried and true idea of Black Metal. For that I think we are going to see a polarized crowd of listeners. Some will like it, other will not?

I already loved Myrkur's debut and am now loving her sophomore effort. The ethereal vocals are a great match for atmospheric black metal, IMHO.

Anyone with foobar2k tested DR yet?

Aug 23, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #20,123 of 29,652

I liked it tbh, but i wouldn't call it groundbreaking. To me it's very similar to alcest and a lot of the blackgaze bands, except it sounds different because of the female vocals

Aug 23, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #20,124 of 29,652

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6jrfX1FpXAQ

Full album stream of "M" by Relapse Records

So Myrkur comes along and there is talent in that she not only has a female voice which she uses in the ethereal passages but in contrast sings black metal growls too, but you can HEAR it is a female in the black metal growls. IMO

I guess I just don't see why "sounding female" is an issue. The way you're saying it is like "female voice" means soft clean singing only and if she's doing growls it's "not female". Sounds kinda... odd, to me. Like IMO there's clean vox and growls, end of transaction. The fact that the vocalist from Arch Enemy sticks with the harsh vox doesn't mean it's "bad".

Hell, ever listened to Cerebral Bore? I didn't even know that was a female until I saw them online. Landmine Marathon did the same. It's like, from the above posts, if a band has a female singing then they HAVE to make them "feminine". Screw that. Just make good music.

Aug 23, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #20,125 of 29,652
  I guess I just don't see why "sounding female" is an issue. The way you're saying it is like "female voice" means soft clean singing only and if she's doing growls it's "not female". Sounds kinda... odd, to me. Like IMO there's clean vox and growls, end of transaction. The fact that the vocalist from Arch Enemy sticks with the harsh vox doesn't mean it's "bad".

Hell, ever listened to Cerebral Bore? I didn't even know that was a female until I saw them online. Landmine Marathon did the same. It's like, from the above posts, if a band has a female singing then they HAVE to make them "feminine". Screw that. Just make good music.

I think he just meant that he couldn't tell it was a female growling; not that it was bad. (I think it's easy to tell that it's a female growling in Arch Enemy, though. hehe)

Aug 23, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #20,126 of 29,652

I think I'm in the "not" category. And, I'm open to all kinds of metal, and love new sounds. Same with Ghost. I'm just not blown away. Plenty of "pretty" female vocals to be found in symphonic metal. I see there is a contrast. But, even so, the music has to stand on it's own.  I'm just kind of, whatever,  meh?

Aug 23, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #20,127 of 29,652
I think I'm in the "not" category. And, I'm open to all kinds of metal, and love new sounds. Same with Ghost. I'm just not blown away. Plenty of "pretty" female vocals to be found in symphonic metal. I see there is a contrast. But, even so, the music has to stand on it's own.  I'm just kind of, whatever,  meh?

To each their own. I like BM. SM, not so much. So even there were ethereal vocals, I wouldn't be listening to them anyways.

Aug 23, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #20,128 of 29,652
To each their own. I like BM. SM, not so much. So even there were ethereal vocals, I wouldn't be listening to them anyways.

Same. Just because there are vaguely similar vocals doesn't mean I'd like the instrumentation and song structure. 

I also admit I'm a massive sucker for post/gaze style black metal. Dat new Deafheaven doe.

Aug 23, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #20,129 of 29,652
Who else besides me loves all styles of metal?
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back