Lets Talk Metal
Aug 22, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #20,101 of 29,676
The problem with a lot of metal like that is that it's very "by the numbers". I'll admit I kinda like Rivers of Nihil, though it might be because the vocalist reminds me of Nergal and I'll take anything that gives me a Behemoth vibe. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #20,103 of 29,676
I find AMG reviews to be highly (overly?) critical a lot of the time, but I agree with them on the new RoN. It's like they are trying to add everything under the kitchen sink into one album and it just turns out lacking cohesion. Some of the breakdowns and chugging sound too close to djent and deathcore for my tastes too. They're skilled with their instruments though, there's no doubt about that.

And I find him very biased towards all that is Stoner or Doom.

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #20,104 of 29,676
"Progressive" stopped meaning what it sounds like decades ago. The fact that "progressive" is actually a genre with a distinct sound is proof enough of that. When someone says something is "progressive rock/metal" and you know what it sounds like, it means it's not terribly progressive.

Post ran into the same problem. The early bands were using the building blocks of rock and metal to try new things, later bands just copy a formula. Even if the end result is really awesome, it's not really "post rock" any more in the sense of "after rock". It's just its own template. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #20,105 of 29,676
Some 'progressive' bands are still groundbreaking, but yeah, for the most part it's pretty formulaic. I'd say when Ulcerate came out they were doing new things. And Gorguts from Obscura on. That's why we see newer bands coming out and people say, 'They sound like Ulcerate and Gorguts'. Mithras created a fairly original sound with Behind the Shadows. The only other band that sounds like them is Sarpantium as far as I'm aware.

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #20,106 of 29,676
"Prog metal" has been interchangeable with "sounds like Dream Theater" for the past 15 years.

...and while we're on the subject, I just came to post this:

Drewsif Stalin - ...Comes To An End

Prog/djent one-man band from Baltimore that occasionally moves into metalcore territory. Great vocals, too.

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #20,107 of 29,676
Some 'progressive' bands are still groundbreaking, but yeah, for the most part it's pretty formulaic. I'd say when Ulcerate came out they were doing new things. And Gorguts from Obscura on. That's why we see newer bands coming out and people say, 'They sound like Ulcerate and Gorguts'. Mithras created a fairly original sound with Behind the Shadows. The only other band that sounds like them is Sarpantium as far as I'm aware.

God damn Ulcerate... Jamie Saint-Merat is easily top 5 metal drummers of all time. 

Aug 23, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #20,111 of 29,676
There are some female vocalists out there that really knock it out of the park. A few albums I'd recommend:

1. Obscure Sphinx - Void Mother (post/sludge)
  2. Black Math Horseman - Wyltt (ethereal doom rock/metal?)
  3. Made Out of Babies - Ruiner (It's Julie Christmas, you know she's awesome)

Aug 23, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #20,112 of 29,676
There are some female vocalists out there that really knock it out of the park. A few albums I'd recommend:

• Obscure Sphinx - Void Mother (post/sludge)
  • Black Math Horseman - Wyltt (ethereal doom rock/metal?)
  • Made Out of Babies - Ruiner (It's Julie Christmas, you know she's awesome)

Thanks! I'll give 'em a listen.

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #20,113 of 29,676
Sivyj Yar - From the Dead Village's Darkness

I dunno why it is that one-man black metal seems to produce some of the best music out there.

Aug 23, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #20,115 of 29,676
The new Myrkur will be in my Top 10 this year.

I posted a link with the whole album a couple posts back. It is always nice to hear a woman sound like a singing woman in metal. Not only are the vocals cool, but the song stuctures are new and interesting.

There is a new place for this style of music in metal. I had thought I had heard it all until this one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back