Lets Talk Metal
Aug 24, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #20,146 of 29,676
I think I'm in the "not" category. And, I'm open to all kinds of metal, and love new sounds. Same with Ghost. I'm just not blown away. Plenty of "pretty" female vocals to be found in symphonic metal. I see there is a contrast. But, even so, the music has to stand on it's own.  I'm just kind of, whatever,  meh?

I"m glad you don't really like "M" or the new Ghost. On this "M" album, I'm more or less interested in the possibilities it offers. Somehow it would be cool to me to hear Viking Bathory tunes this way?

Yes, when did our beloved genre start to be mixed with Enya? It was a matter of time until they figured out the formula and boxed it up to be sold to the mainstream masses. The edgy days are over where the lead vocals kill themselves and the rest of the band make necklaces from the bone fragments. That was then this is now.

You are the coolest one here!

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #20,147 of 29,676
To each their own. I like BM. SM, not so much. So even there were ethereal vocals, I wouldn't be listening to them anyways.

I should like them based on the styles involved.  Strong female vocals, shoegaze BM. Guess the album didn't click with me.

I often like a lot of the bands that get a buzz . I like Deafheaven, I got into Isis when Oceanic and Panapticon came out. I enjoyed Mastodon in the early days. And, I love ethereal female vocal's.

I'll have to listen again.

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #20,148 of 29,676
  I think I'm in the "not" category. And, I'm open to all kinds of metal, and love new sounds. Same with Ghost. I'm just not blown away.

Dito.
This Myrkur album is alright, I guess. Same level of "meh" the new Rivers of Nihil is.
And Ghost is just...there. Don't get why they are so popular.

The new Alda album is nice.

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #20,149 of 29,676
I usually like a lot of the stuff you post.  These two bands just didn't hit. You know how some music that hits big in the blogosphere doesn't affect you in the way you were expecting or hoping for. You've turned me onto some great new music.

Quote:

I"m glad you don't really like "M" or the new Ghost. On this "M" album, I'm more or less interested in the possibilities it offers. Somehow it would be cool to me to hear Viking Bathory tunes this way?

You are the coolest one here!

Really Redcar? You don't need to be glad that.....oh, wait, sarcasm. I get it.

Cute .

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #20,150 of 29,676
Really Redcar? You don't need to be glad that.....oh, wait, sarcasm. I get it.

Cute .

"M"is produced by Garm of Ulver. So if you have heard any of their stuff from 2007 on? This album does the same for me. I can't say I love it, but at times it has a soundtrack feeling which I like. And yes I have 2 Enya CDs too.

Ulver 2007 Shadows of the Sun
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YSwIahX6t6I

I'm glad not everyone likes "M". I was not being sarcastic. Why would everyone like it?

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #20,151 of 29,676
 I should like them based on the styles involved.  Strong female vocals, shoegaze BM. Guess the album didn't click with me.

I often like a lot of the bands that get a buzz . I like Deafheaven, I got into Isis when Oceanic and Panapticon came out. I enjoyed Mastodon in the early days. And, I love ethereal female vocal's.

I'll have to listen again.

Early Mastodon is all ever listen to!

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #20,152 of 29,676
"M"is produced by Garm of Ulver. So if you have heard any of their stuff from 2007 on? This album does the same for me. I can't say I love it, but at times it has a soundtrack feeling which I like. And yes I have 2 Enya CDs too.

Ulver 2007 Shadows of the Sun
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YSwIahX6t6I

I'm glad not everyone likes "M". I was not being sarcastic. Why would everyone like it?

OK, my bad. Yeah, Leviathan was so good.

Funny thing, I grew up hearing my mother's love of Irish music, folk, and new age. I actually like Enya!

And I like the female vocals on any number of BM albums-thinking of some COF, Wolves in the Throne Room. And, I listen to a good bit of non metal female singer songwriter, alt rock and even some pop. I like ambient music.  The new Chelsea Wolfe is one of my favorites this year. I know not everyone can get into her. But Abyss strikes a strong chord with me.

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #20,153 of 29,676
OK, my bad. Funny thing, I grew up hearing my mother's love of Irish music, folk, and new age. I actually like Enya! And I like the female vocals on any number of BM albums-thinking of some COF, Wolves in the Throne Room. And, I listen to a good bit of non metal female singer songwriter, alt rock and even some pop. the new Chelsea Wolfe is one of my favorites this year.

Yes, my Stepmother and Irish music. There was whole Irish musician groups in my living room playing that crap early on Saturday mornings. I actually hate Irish music. Those little squeeze boxes, violins, banjos. I'm so happy I actually live on an island where there is a good chance I will never ever have to hear it again.....ever.:expressionless:

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #20,154 of 29,676
Yes, my Stepmother and Irish music. There was whole Irish musician groups in my living room playing that crap early on Saturday mornings. I actually hate Irish music. Those little squeeze boxes, violins, banjos. I'm so happy I actually live on an island where there is a good chance I will never ever have to hear it again.....ever.:expressionless:

Ha-ha! My Wild Irish Rose. Well, you sound pretty safe from Irish music, then.

I 'll hold off on posting a video of Drop Kick Murphy's Irish punk drinking music or River Dance
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #20,155 of 29,676
Ha-ha! My Wild Irish Rose. Well, you sound pretty safe from Irish music, then.

I 'll hold off on posting a video of Drop Kick Murphy's Irish punk drinking music or River Dance:tongue_smile:

I used to keep my mouth shut and just listen in Irish bars ( what are you going to do?):grimacing:Still it was more just singing none of those devil instruments.

Aug 24, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #20,156 of 29,676
shoegaze BM

Stop swearing or I'll report you.

In all seriousness, all these blackgaze bands were so popular that before I heard the subgenre I figured I'd like it. I hate it for the post part. I just don't get how those sappy sounding chords fit in. As soon as I hear them, game over. I wish I were a musician so that I could specify more clearly what I'm talking about. Also, and this might sound petty, but when I watch live metal show on YouTube I want to see metal heads in the audience. The blackgaze shows I've watched had hipster audiences. Extreme metal is going mainstream, which judging by most popular music nowadays is a bad bad thing.

Aug 24, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #20,157 of 29,676
  From what I understand, Stalaggh was more of a psych "therapy" thing for the patients where they got to release themselves through the various screams and whatnot. Kind of a neat album, not terribly fun to listen to even if what you want it "terror" music, haha. I'll go for Gnaw Their Tongues if that's what I'm aiming for. 

I loves me some weird-ass music, but I admit the music itself needs to carry its weight, too. I mean, Burzum wouldn't be as fascinating if those four albums hadn't been friggin' amazing. 

Ha. Figures you would already know Stalaggh. I once listened to Projekt Misanthropia all the way through while driving down a highway, just to see if I could stand it. haha

Never heard of Gnaw Their Tongues. I'll have to check it out.

Burzum is completely formulaic compared to the crazy music I make up in my head. (But I do like Burzum.)

What I was trying to say was with "M" I can hear that it IS a female in the growls.

I thought you were talking about how you couldn't tell that Arch Enemy's vocalist was female.

Aug 24, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #20,159 of 29,676
Stop swearing or I'll report you.

In all seriousness, all these blackgaze bands were so popular that before I heard the subgenre I figured I'd like it. I hate it for the post part. I just don't get how those sappy sounding chords fit in. As soon as I hear them, game over. I wish I were a musician so that I could specify more clearly what I'm talking about. Also, and this might sound petty, but when I watch live metal show on YouTube I want to see metal heads in the audience. The blackgaze shows I've watched had hipster audiences. Extreme metal is going mainstream, which judging by most popular music nowadays is a bad bad thing.

If you think blackgaze is "mainstream" I challenge you to go out to any bar on a given night and find many people who've even HEARD of Deafheaven, Ghost Bath, Lantlos, and Russian Circles let alone are fans or could name an album. XD

Metal was mainstream in years gone by, it ain't even close to it now. People trying to act like Sabbath, Priest, and Slayer weren't household names back in the day. Unless Cattle Decapitation being number ONE HUNDRED on the Billboard Top 200 counts to you as mainstream, you're just being elitist, and being surprised that there are hipsters in a blackgaze show is like being surprised to find sports fans at a football game. What are you expecting in a blackgaze show? Corpse paint? Bloody arms? A moshpit?

I'll tell ya who I don't want to see in the audience at a metal show: a guy who gets mad that the "wrong crowd" is in the audience at a metal show. 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back