Lets Talk Metal
Dec 9, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #12,406 of 29,660

Pelagial is one of my favorites from recent memory. It's insanely good, IMO.

I am SO PISSED this is not getting a physical release. Their other live album was fantastic, and I have a DVD and LPs for that.

That settles it. My next purchases will be Pelagial, Windhand, and Russian Circles. I'm also interested in the new Sub Rosa.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #12,407 of 29,660

I liked that album for about 30 minutes and then I was just waiting for it to end. Good songs, but waaaaaaay too long. The whole thing kind of felt like an hour-long drawn out jam.

I've got Earthless 2007 release-rhythm's from a cosmic Sky. The guitarist is from Nebula-a favorite stoner band of mine. The dude just jams and jams.

That album is like 3 songs-two of them over the 20 minute mark. That said, for blues based jam stoner rock, they are so good. It's awesome, but yes it takes some patience.

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #12,412 of 29,660

The guitarist is from Nebula-a favorite stoner band of mine. The dude just jams and jams.

I'll have to give them a listen. Been trying to find more music of this genre recently. What album would you start with?

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #12,414 of 29,660
Because why not. A neat little piece of Technical Grindcore I haven't listened to in a while.

Full album with an incredible playing of 12 minutes?

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #12,416 of 29,660

I'll have to give them a listen. Been trying to find more music of this genre recently. What album would you start with?

Are you asking about stoner in general, or this band?

I have Earthless' Rhythms Cosmic Sky from 2007. It's good-but songs are sooo long. Like Stevie Ray Vaughn on acid if he just kept playing a continuous guitar solo for 30 minutes straight...Led Zeppelin has some live stuff like that-these ridiculous medleys that approach 30 minutes-cool in that you get the concert vibe but feel indulgent-to me anyway.

I lump stoner into the whole retro rock thing-The Sword, Witchcraft,

If you want to investigate the origins of the genre....
there's plenty of more bite sized songs

if you haven't heard Kyuss Blues for the Red Sun or Welcome to Sky Valley-I would start with those two. Those are the most classic to me in all of stoner. I really like Welcome to Sky Valley.

Fu Manchu has a fuzzed out classic (well several) called In Search of... which is killer. Fuzzed out riffs that sound so fat you can almost see them through bong haze.

And, I would add Monster Magnet's classic, Spine of God. I'd add Power Trip and Dopes to Infinity. I'm a big MM fan.

Those three to me are like First Generation in BM terms.Kyuss, Fu Manchu and Monster Magnet.

Nebula is good, too. They were started w/ some guys from Fu Manchu. Actually, Eddie Glass who writes most of Nebula's music and sings and plays lead guitar played on In Search Of. Nebula have a bit more of a punk edge mixed in their stoner. I would recommend To The Center and Atomic Ritual. Great psychedelic punk tinged hard rock. Great riff rock, vocals not so much. MM and Kyuss seal the deal in the vocal department.

But, there's some pretty good newer stuff as well. I would throw the new Clutch in the stoner genre. And stuff like HOF that crosses into extremity.

It pays to be selective as stoner can get repetitive. But doom is where the action is now. I'd then throw in some stoner doom classics like Sleep, Pentagram, Spirit Caravan (anything Wino's done-kind of the Lemmy of doom), Electric Wizard, YOB, MDB, UFOmammut and the list goes on.

But, I may have misunderstood your question...

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #12,417 of 29,660

Are you asking about stoner in general, or this band?

I was just asking about Nebula, but thanks a lot for the detailed answer! My dad used to listen to Grateful Dead concert recordings all the time so I grew up with a bit of that.

Quote:
I have Earthless' Rhythms Cosmic Sky from 2007. It's good-but songs are sooo long. Like Stevie Ray Vaughn on acid if he just kept playing a continuous guitar solo for 30 minutes straight...Led Zeppelin has some live stuff like that-these ridiculous medleys that approach 30 minutes-cool in that you get the concert vibe but feel indulgent-to me anyway.

I might listen to that one too. Can't say no to SRV on acid. 
biggrin.gif

It pays to be selective as stoner can get repetitive. But doom is where the action is now. I'd then throw in some stoner doom classics like Sleep, Pentagram, Spirit Caravan (anything Wino's done-kind of the Lemmy of doom), Electric Wizard, YOB, MDB, UFOmammut and the list goes on.

I've never been able to get into those classic "Stoner Doom" bands. I did really enjoy Alkahest's release from earlier this year, though.

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #12,418 of 29,660

I might listen to that one too. Can't say no to SRV on acid. 
biggrin.gif

I've never been able to get into those classic "Stoner Doom" bands. I did really enjoy Alkahest's release from earlier this year, though.

Yeah, I never got into the Dead, but I'd say Earthless is more of the Dead style of long jams with an updated hard blues rock sound. Nebula, like Fu Manchu has a more song oriented approach. But, it's still more the atmosphere than any individual song.

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #12,420 of 29,660
Need to catch up with the last few days, but I was just thinking of some of my most enjoyed releases from 2013, so I'll list my favorite 10+1 (I guess it's about that time of year haha):

Oranssi Pazuzu / Valonielu
Gris / A L'Âme Enflammée, L'Âme Constellée...
Bölzer / Aura
Fyrnask / Eldir Nótt
Kayo Dot / Hubardo
Windhand / Soma
Gorguts / Colored Sands
VHOL / VHOL
Lycus / Tempest
The Ruins of Beverast / Blood Vaults - The Blazing Gospel of Heinrich Kramer

Honorable Mention:
Sombres Forêts / La Mort Du Soleil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back