Lets Talk Metal
Nov 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #12,136 of 29,657
I also really want to try the RS1is. But I'm going to go with an orthodynamic in the Hifiman HE500s. I was able to demo my friends and thought they were great for metal.

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #12,137 of 29,657
Well, I just bought my very first pair of cans (Sennheiser HD-598 for $150 shipped brand new, was on sale on Amazon for a few hours and everyone on RFD were raving about these). Are these at least decent for metal? Doesn't have to be the best, just decent. I listen to everything - death, black, folk, thrash - you name it. Been listening to the new Falkenbach and Caladan Brood non-stop lately. 

I know that they're very bass light but it should be good enough for metal right? My IEM's are Monster Miles Davis (the older ones), got em for free and they're pretty good. The bass is just too much for most metal though, it sounds too muffled and the soundstage is tiny. I also listen to a lot of drum n bass, the Miles Davis are PERFECT for DnB but not so much for metal.

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #12,138 of 29,657
  Well, I just bought my very first pair of cans (Sennheiser HD-598 for $150 shipped brand new, was on sale on Amazon for a few hours and everyone on RFD were raving about these). Are these at least decent for metal? Doesn't have to be the best, just decent. I listen to everything - death, black, folk, thrash - you name it. Been listening to the new Falkenbach and Caladan Brood non-stop lately. 

I know that they're very bass light but it should be good enough for metal right? My IEM's are Monster Miles Davis (the older ones), got em for free and they're pretty good. The bass is just too much for most metal though, it sounds too muffled and the soundstage is tiny. I also listen to a lot of drum n bass, the Miles Davis are PERFECT for DnB but not so much for metal.

It all comes down to personal preference. We're not going to be able to tell you if you'll like them or not, but based on what I know about the HD598s I think I would like them for metal personally. Best thing you can do now is wait and see for yourself. 

It's not often that I like "symphonic" metal but this is pretty interesting.

Shade Empire

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #12,139 of 29,657
I have the HD598s. I upgraded from the M50s and also listen mainly to metal. Based on my experience, I thought they were less than ideal. They lack energy and presentation for metal. Nice headphones overall, but I thought it was a below average fit for my music preference. After 8 months of using them I switched to the Grados sr325is. And I haven't touched them since. My friend is borrowing them for the time being.

Just my experience with them.

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #12,140 of 29,657

Shade Empire

Nice!
The vocals are pretty boring though...

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #12,141 of 29,657
evil_smiley.gif
My 6000th post right here.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Requiem/11623

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #12,142 of 29,657

It all comes down to personal preference. We're not going to be able to tell you if you'll like them or not, but based on what I know about the HD598s I think I would like them for metal personally. Best thing you can do now is wait and see for yourself. 

Shade Empire

Didn't like the drumming. It's something I've been noticing more and more lately, and something just about every metal band I've heard does from time to time. It's when the drummer just alternates between the bass and sharp drums as fast as he can, it just ruins the flow in the music for me. It was very noticeable when the drums first kicked in on the first track. It's this kind of drumming that ruined both Come Clarity and A Sense of Purpose from In Flames. Now I love In Flames, and have since I was thirteen, but I really hate it when they ruin their songs with drumming like that. Specific examples are the verses on Take This Life and Leeches from Come Clarity, and the chorus on I'm the Highway from A Sense of Purpose. This is so sad, because I love the chorus on both Take This Life and Leeches, and the verses on I'm the Highway are just awesome. Still, I just about never listen to any of them, because the bad parts are so bad that I can't really enjoy the good parts.

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #12,143 of 29,657

Didn't like the drumming. It's something I've been noticing more and more lately, and something just about every metal band I've heard does from time to time. It's when the drummer just alternates between the bass and sharp drums as fast as he can, it just ruins the flow in the music for me. It was very noticeable when the drums first kicked in on the first track. It's this kind of drumming that ruined both Come Clarity and A Sense of Purpose from In Flames. Now I love In Flames, and have since I was thirteen, but I really hate it when they ruin their songs with drumming like that. Specific examples are the verses on Take This Life and Leeches from Come Clarity, and the chorus on I'm the Highway from A Sense of Purpose. This is so sad, because I love the chorus on both Take This Life and Leeches, and the verses on I'm the Highway are just awesome. Still, I just about never listen to any of them, because the bad parts are so bad that I can't really enjoy the good parts.

Those are called Blast Beats. The basic drumming for extreme metal?

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #12,144 of 29,657
  Those are called Blast Beats. The basic drumming for extreme metal?

Then extreme metal isn't for me. I absolutely detest that kind of drumming.

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #12,145 of 29,657

Then extreme metal isn't for me. I absolutely detest that kind of drumming.

I kinda think that most listeners kind of block it out anyway. It moves the song along but just like a car motor you just don't hear it after a while. Same as dance music, at fist listen the drums are repetitive to the highest degree then after a while you don't hear em. That's my take anyway.
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #12,146 of 29,657

I kinda think that most listeners kind of block it out anyway. It moves the song along but just like a car motor you just don't hear it after a while. Same as dance music, at fist listen the drums are repetitive to the highest degree then after a while you don't hear em. That's my take anyway.
wink.gif

It's very lazy drumming, isn't it? I guess it's a go-to solution when the drummer can't think of something better or is having trouble making two parts of a song fit together.
The biggest problem I have with Blast Beats isn't the drumming itself, but how it affects the other instruments and the song as a whole. It feels like the guitars really can't follow it. I'm a sucker for melodic metal like In Flames, but whenever the drummer uses Blast Beats there is no melody, and I'm guessing it's because it doesn't provide a proper rythm for the guitars to follow. So whenever the Blast Beats come on, the most enjoyable part of the music (for me, anyways) just disappears. The In Flames songs I listed previously are perfect examples of this, in my opintion. I'm the Highway especially, such great and engaging guitar play during the verses, but all of that just dies during the chorus. It really annoys me!

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #12,147 of 29,657

It's very lazy drumming, isn't it? I guess it's a go-to solution when the drummer can't think of something better or is having trouble making two parts of a song fit together.
The biggest problem I have with Blast Beats isn't the drumming itself, but how it affects the other instruments and the song as a whole. It feels like the guitars really can't follow it. I'm a sucker for melodic metal like In Flames, but whenever the drummer uses Blast Beats there is no melody, and I'm guessing it's because it doesn't provide a proper rythm for the guitars to follow. So whenever the Blast Beats come on, the most enjoyable part of the music (for me, anyways) just disappears. The In Flames songs I listed previously are perfect examples of this, in my opintion. I'm the Highway especially, such great and engaging guitar play during the verses, but all of that just dies during the chorus. It really annoys me!

Actually it is one of my favorite parts of this style of music. I do though agree that at times it's overpowering to the rest of the song. I guess it is in it's place for the music then? It is better if the bass and guitar can go along with it. I don't know but somehow blast beats are thrilling for me. It's how it's done though which either makes the band insane and epic compared to so,so.

Still though if you have been listening to In Flames for a while you must be used to metal drumming?

By the way Slayer has a new drummer now.

Speaking of Slayer, you can here the early style of Blast Beats at the two and a half minute mark in the first song. The style just kept evolving to what it was in 2000. I am no expert here but this is how I have heard metal drumming evolve. But as you can hear in bands like Slayer there is maybe more variation. Bands like Vader have taken Blast Beats to the ultimate end and even though you can hear that they have been totally influenced by Slayer, they are a new breed of metal taking Blast Beats and integrating them to the fullest. It's the drumming with Vader that makes them what they are. That and how it integrates with the guitar and bass. IMO

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #12,148 of 29,657
Blast beats ftw!

Lasergun sweeeeps!!!
Origin never fails to entertain me :)

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #12,149 of 29,657
The modern Blast Beat done right! It starts at the 50 second mark. This is what em talking about.

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #12,150 of 29,657
  Blast beats ftw!

Lasergun sweeeeps!!!
Origin never fails to entertain me :)

Yes, the question is "Where would Technical Death Metal be with out Blast Beats?" The whole song is Blast Beats !!! 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back