Lets Talk Metal
Jul 7, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #1,456 of 29,662
Can't go wrong with Bergtatt, among the top Black Metal albums ever.

Nattens Madrigal is an aquired taste but it's an inch better than most black metal.

Don't like their electronic stuff either, each time I read or hear the rave reviews I try to see the light but I don't seem to grok it each time.

Jul 8, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #1,457 of 29,662
I see the new Blind Guardian album (to be released later this month) is available in a few different formats:

- CD: jewel case, digi (2cd), and some wacky pyramid-shaped package

- vinyl: single pic disc, and 4-LP box set (that is, 4 12" mini-LPs).

Well, I'm torn.  I would generally prefer a vinyl version, but I think a single pic-disc would not sound good enough, and the 4 mini-LP set with one or two songs per side would require too much flipping.  Ideally I'd get the nonexistent 2LP set with accompanying CDs for ease of ripping.  Oh well, I'll probably just get the digipak.

http://www.emp-online.es/bin/shop.php?prog=search&Sucheintrag=Blind%20Guardian&nurint=1

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #1,459 of 29,662
I didn't even know there was another one.  I have one of them which was good (it has Bright Eyes on it I think).

With that said, Iced Earth frontman has gone all political which always turns me off (whether you agree or not).

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #1,462 of 29,662

Quote:
Do a little Googling...his Sons of Liberty project etc

*Quick google search*

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=141736

I... see. An admirable goal I admit, but not in a way I agree with...

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #1,464 of 29,662
Guiding principles of the Sons of Liberty project, from its website:

--------------------------
IN GENERAL

1. Remain objective and trust your gut instinct.

2. Embrace the truth, regardless of how disturbing it may be.

3. Assemble, coordinate, and get involved!

--------------------------

There's some kind of funny logic there.  Remaining objective and embracing truth are, in my experience, antithetical to trusting gut instincts.  But, I suspect Mr. Schaffer is also rather well armed, so I will not push my argument further than that.  :p

I like politics in my metal, as long as they are buried under layers of epic myth, drama, and fantasy.  Good vs. evil, hubris, etc.  These are big themes that have a place in metal lyrics.  Specific information about foreign policy or health care - save it for punk rock and folk music.  :)

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #1,465 of 29,662

Quote:
I like politics in my metal, as long as they are buried under layers of epic myth, drama, and fantasy.  Good vs. evil, hubris, etc.  These are big themes that have a place in metal lyrics.  Specific information about foreign policy or health care - save it for punk rock and folk music.  :)

Agreed! Also getting specific just makes for lazy and poor songwriting. Holy Wars is a classic. "Fema's comin' to get me!, help me Fox News!" aka Endgame is not. It's childish, and the worst song on the album. 

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #1,466 of 29,662

Quote:

Agreed! Also getting specific just makes for lazy and poor songwriting. Holy Wars is a classic. "Fema's comin' to get me!, help me Fox News!" aka Endgame is not. It's childish, and the worst song on the album. 

I don't think its the worst song on the album but I agree.  I can't stand when Dave gets political or religious.  It sucks.  I understand songwriting comes from within.  I also realize that your religious and political background can be the dominent influences when writing an album.  However, the type of lyrics Dave comes up (MD is one of my all-time favorites) with are indeed childish - he makes a point then belabors it with gems like above.

Btw, I thought Endgame was much better than UA but still worse than the System is Down (which was a solid album).  I saw them play RIP on the 20th anniversary tour and will be seeing them again with Slayer.  MD is still one of the great metal overlords.

Schaffer needs to go back to writing comics.  With that said, Iced Earth still rocks.

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #1,467 of 29,662
I prefer UA to Endgame by quite a bit. There are parts of Endgame that are excellent, the first two tracks, Headcrusher, and one or two others, but other than that I think its average, and much of the song writing throughout is weak, such as in Bite The Hand That Feeds and 44 Minutes, where he actually uses the phrase "gettin' schooled".

Jul 10, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #1,470 of 29,662

Quote:
Great, more Endgame style nonsense...

WHAT?!! Have you even read the book "The Creature from Jekyll Island?" Read it and then talk. People are friggin paranoid nowadays for a reason. If you're not, you're probably drugged up on the common everyday doctor dispensed mood pills and/or worse. Wake up people, sleepy time is over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back