Lets Talk Metal
Jul 3, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #1,444 of 29,637

Quote:
Im buying the new Kalmah album...12 Gauge

12 Gauge for me at least is unlistenable. I hear what sounds like high frequency static throughout the entire album, regardless of which headphones or speakers I use. Aside from that, it's just not that good. Better than the last one, but nowhere near the quality of the first three.

Jul 4, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #1,445 of 29,637

Quote:

Mortuus - De Contemplanda Morte

I just received this in the mail today. If you like some mid-paced black metal with extremely of dark atmosphere, check this CD out.

Listening them on Myspace, song Penetrations Of Darkness. I constantly a feeling that this sounds extremely familiar until it hit me: This sounds very much like Ondskapt, their midpaced stuff, though perhaps thats just me. Havent listened other songs yet.

Jul 5, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #1,447 of 29,637
I haven't been around lately but japc, that is a very good haul. I love Sludge, so here's, have some

Jul 6, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #1,448 of 29,637
Quote:
Listening them on Myspace, song Penetrations Of Darkness. I constantly a feeling that this sounds extremely familiar until it hit me: This sounds very much like Ondskapt, their midpaced stuff, though perhaps thats just me. Havent listened other songs yet.

Definitely similar to Ondskapt. I do find them to be a bit more aggressive and harsh sounding than Mortuus.

Jul 7, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #1,449 of 29,637
So I just did a little research on Ulver and boy are they unique (to say the least).

I am assuming since I am a humongous Opeth fanboy, I would like the Black Metal Trilogy?

Btw, I just got Slania because of this thread and I must say, not bad, not bad at all.

Jul 7, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #1,450 of 29,637
Nice post, Cianyx. IM was such a good band, Rest In Peace Johnny Morrow.

Quote:
So I just did a little research on Ulver and boy are they unique (to say the least).

I am assuming since I am a humongous Opeth fanboy, I would like the Black Metal Trilogy?

Btw, I just got Slania because of this thread and I must say, not bad, not bad at all.

I'd say if you liked what you heard already, its hard to go wrong with Ulver. The electronic stuff isn't for everyone though. They are pretty straight laced with their BM stuff, but then again they were one of the godfathers of the last wave and they were great at that. I'm more into their atmospheric, minimalist stuff. Hope you enjoy the experience.

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #1,454 of 29,637

Quote:

I'd say if you liked what you heard already, its hard to go wrong with Ulver. The electronic stuff isn't for everyone though. They are pretty straight laced with their BM stuff, but then again they were one of the godfathers of the last wave and they were great at that. I'm more into their atmospheric, minimalist stuff. Hope you enjoy the experience.

Ulvers blackmetal stuff is good indeed. But if one is a newbie to Black Metal, I'm not sure Ulver is the best starting point to explore this music. Well, except Bergtatt album perhaps. Nattens Madrigal album sounds abrasive as hell.

I never liked Ulvers electronic stuff. It is a bit dissapointing that they discarded Black Metal after couple of albums only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back