Lets Talk Metal
Jul 12, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #1,486 of 29,663

Quote:
I don't doubt that; how was the title track?  I've seen some clips on YouTube, and they seem to be getting better and better at it...

That being said, Leviathan is up there in my top 5, and I simply think it works better.  I like edge, and that had that in loooooads.  CTS...not so much.  

I guess different strokes :).

(btw, listening to Sepultura - Alive; one of the most underrated thrash/groove albums ever IMHO).

You are 100% right, Leviathan is their strongest material hands down.  Hands down.  When they played Blood and Thunder...holy god....the whole place erupted.

I am just stating that CTS is not a bad album.  Its a great concept album.

Alright, I am saying it RIGHT now, whoever recommended Kalmah should get an award.  Kalmah is amazingly good.  If you not heard Kalmah you owe your self to listen to anything with the word *swamp* in it!  :)

Jul 12, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #1,487 of 29,663
I bet.  Blood and Thunder is one of my top energy songs.  That end--extremely reminiscent of early Metallica (spec: Creeping Death).  Just brilliant!  Best part of it (for me), after the break when they go into the "split your lungs with blood and thunder" deal.  Just epic. 

Anyone like Finntroll?  Never really liked folk metal, but their black tendencies really help out for me...and Solsagan is EPIC.

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #1,488 of 29,663

Quote:
Moving on indeed.  :)

I love that guitar tone.

Me too
bigsmile_face.gif
! The whole album has a nice feel too it and it flows well. Not super metally in the "long-haired" intellectual way but very much a jammin record!
L3000.gif

Quote:
*rolls over and falls back to sleep*

hehe

See?...you're on my list pal
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #1,489 of 29,663

Quote:

Anyone like Finntroll?  Never really liked folk metal, but their black tendencies really help out for me...and Solsagan is EPIC.

I love Finntroll.  They are one of the first bands that got me remotely interested in metal, and to this day they are one of my favourite bands.  Ur Jordens Djup is a great listen late at night with eyes closed and good headphones.  I haven't had time to get too deeply into their latest album, but it sounds great so far and they get high bonus points for enclosing a CD with the vinyl release.

Jul 14, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #1,492 of 29,663

Quote:
Very simply...

In Flames vs Dark Tranquility?

Simple. A once great band vs. a still great band. I'm not really a fan of Lunar Strain or Subterranean, but Jester Race is a genre defining masterwork, and definitely superior to the early DT albums. I don't think DT really started to get their sound together until The Mind's I. Unfortunately, In Flames just lost the plot after Clayman. Reroute is tolerable, but Soundtrack is just a piece of garbage, and Come Clarity is no better. A Sense Of Purpose is a minor improvement over the two previous albums, but compared to We Are The Void or Panic Broadcast, it's still lousy.

With Jesper Stromblad out of the band, I don't think there's much hope for In Flames in the future.

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #1,493 of 29,663
In Flames' "Whoracle" has been one of those albums that defined my taste when I was a kid. I can remember going completely insane insane when it was just released. Still my favourite "Gothenburg death metal" album of all time together with Sacrilege's "The Fifth Season" and Dark Tranquillity's "The Mind's I". In hindsight, it's amazing how that Gothenburg sound influenced almost all modern metalcore/ nu-thrash/ melodeath.

In Flames, like many other bands that I liked in the nineties, became a totally different band over the years. To me, these days they are utterly cringeworthy. :frowning2:

Jul 15, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #1,494 of 29,663

Quote:
(btw, listening to Sepultura - Alive; one of the most underrated thrash/groove albums ever IMHO).

You mean Arise? Usually people rate Sepulturas earlier albums higher, though I really cant get into those (or havent managed yet anyway). But Arise is one of my fav Thrash albums, it has the ballgrapping attidute and sound which I dont find in Sepulturas earlier nor later albums. Arise is Thrash to the core. The moment I heard the title song kick in I was sold. :D

In any case, Dimmu Borgir is going to release a new album.
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=142781

Seriously, Abrahadabra... Can you think about album title like that with straight face? It might have interesting translation with a history, but practically everyone knows it from the magician cliche Abra-cadabra, AND will always relate it to that. What the hell are they thinking I must ask... On related to this new album, it is rumored that Therion's Snowy Shaw has joined Dimmu Borgir, to replace ICS Vortex.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=142878

He certainly has big shoes to fill. Despite Dimmu Borgir being epic fail on last few albums (IHMO) the rare Vortex parts were always epic as hell. What little I have heard of Snowys vocals, they are not up with Vortex. I mean, he is a great vocalist, but he is different type of clean vocalist. Vortex has this epic and strong tenor style where Snowy apparently is just clean singer, not powerful. Though I might not have heard the correct clips yet.

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #1,495 of 29,663

Quote:
In any case, Dimmu Borgir is going to release a new album. http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=142781

Seriously, Abrahadabra... Can you think about album title like that with straight face? It might have interesting translation with a history, but practically everyone knows it from the magician cliche Abra-cadabra, AND will always relate it to that. What the hell are they thinking I must ask... On related to this new album, it is rumored that Therion's Snowy Shaw has joined Dimmu Borgir, to replace ICS Vortex.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=142878

He certainly has big shoes to fill. Despite Dimmu Borgir being epic fail on last few albums (IHMO) the rare Vortex parts were always epic as hell. What little I have heard of Snowys vocals, they are not up with Vortex. I mean, he is a great vocalist, but he is different type of clean vocalist. Vortex has this epic and strong tenor style where Snowy apparently is just clean singer, not powerful. Though I might not have heard the correct clips yet.

Yeah I can't help but think Abra-cadabra when I look at the title of Dimmu's new album. Really bad. It's going to be interesting to see how they try and replace Vortex's vocal parts. Replacing Mustis is frankly no big deal, but Vortex has a signature vocal style that your average clean vocalist just isn't going to be able to replicate. Scar Symmetry couldn't replace Christian Älvestam with TWO vocalists.

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #1,496 of 29,663
You guys are really harsh!  I was having this discussion with a good friend of mine who is a big In Flames fan and I too am more into Dark Tranquility than In Flames (though I really like In Flames).  I don't think In Flames is THAT bad as you guys are making them out to be.  I mean Come Clarity and Soundtrack to Your Escape were not that bad (My Sweet Memory is considered a fan favorite for sure, its a great song).  The last album was mediocre for sure.  I listened to it now twice and was like...ehhhn....

But Dark Tranquility to me is on a whole new level - Fiction is FANTASTIC and so is The Gallery.   I can't wait to see them this year with Threat Signal. 

Please tell me they are amazing live!  :)

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #1,497 of 29,663

Quote:
You guys are really harsh!  I was having this discussion with a good friend of mine who is a big In Flames fan and I too am more into Dark Tranquility than In Flames (though I really like In Flames).  I don't think In Flames is THAT bad as you guys are making them out to be.  I mean Come Clarity and Soundtrack to Your Escape were not that bad (My Sweet Memory is considered a fan favorite for sure, its a great song).  The last album was mediocre for sure.  I listened to it now twice and was like...ehhhn....

But Dark Tranquility to me is on a whole new level - Fiction is FANTASTIC and so is The Gallery.   I can't wait to see them this year with Threat Signal. 

Please tell me they are amazing live!  :)

I think you'll find that a lot of fans of In Flames early albums will have much harsher words for Soundtrack or Come Clarity than I do. It's like asking diehard fans of Master Of Puppets what they think about St. Anger. As for My Sweet Shadow, I liked it the first time I heard it, when it was called Ordinary Story. Seriously, take any recent In Flames song that seems "not that bad" and compare it to Ordinary Story. They are all just sad retreads.

Dark Tranquility is fantastic live. Check out their new DVD Where Death Is Most Alive. It's an incredible performance.

Jul 16, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #1,500 of 29,663

Quote:
Hey, comparing anything to St. Anger is the ultimate insult. Nu In Flames is not *that* bad.

It's not that good either. Frankly at this point I think they should just hang it up and go home. The band's creative well has obviously been dry for years. Leave the melodic death metal to the bands that are still good at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back