Lets Talk Metal
Dec 29, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #12,721 of 29,666
Heavy metal is part of the reason I joined this forum. I need to pursue my need to hear my complex music while on the go and at my shop. After poking around this forum for a day, I've learned that I have much to learn.

Here's some bands I listen to every damn day...

The Sword
Clutch
High on Fire
Gojira
Red Fang
Karma to burn
Orange goblin
Electric wizard
Sleep
Bison BC
Eyehategod
Mastodon
Witchcraft
Baroness
Down
Kyuss
4arm
Goatsnake
Dozer
The Company Band
Alabama thunder *****
Truckfighter
Fireball ministry
Acid Kings

I can't seem to hear this **** loud enough or clear enough. I just bought the Bose QC20. And I'm not sure if they are cutting it. Only had them one day. Noise canceling is great. But it's the sound I'm worried about. Not sure if I could get something better for the same 300 dollars.

There is a disturbing lack of Bongripper in your list, my friend.

You can get some pretty great equipment for 300 bucks. Do you really really need the noise-cancelling?

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #12,723 of 29,666
I had the QC15 for about 5 years, and then decided to look into better headphones. I've found that the QC15 mids are too recessed, bass is uncontrolled and too high in the FR, and overall resolution just isn't great. There are many, many options for $300 or less that beat the Bose in every respect except noise cancelling. Maybe check out offerings from Grado, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, and possibly AKG.

I dig Sennheiser's sound. I got a pair of HD600 for $350 and they blow Bose out of the water! I had Grado 325is for about a year and found them to be too harsh in the highs. Ultrasones were garbage for metal and terribly uncomfortable. Beyer DT770 (~$200) are fairly good, but the highs sound artificial. You may want to look into some planar magnetic headphones, but comfort, cost, and weight issues kind of keep me away from them personally.

The thing about headfi is that there are too many options, and too many differing opinions about each of those options. You need to just experiment and see what suits your tastes.

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #12,724 of 29,666

Actually it's is broken up into 3000 CDs and 65 U-haul boxes of records. The records end up being a pain in the azz after a while. CD's are nothing. It is truly amazing when you live with the weight difference between the two formats. CD's are soo much more easy.

Not all my records are extreme metal. A bunch are heavy metal and other junk. About 90% of my CDs are extreme metal. If I get board I just put one on. With my collection some of my stuff I have not heard since 2003. lol

I think I'll stick with digital. Having that much physical media sounds like a nightmare when moving day comes, especially the vinyl!

I don't have many CDs anymore, and the ones I have get ripped to my cpu and don't really get touched after that. Thank you Bandcamp indeed. They need to make a world-wide law that every metal label must make all of their releases available on Bandcamp.

itunes sucks

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #12,725 of 29,666
Thank you Bandcamp indeed. They need to make a world-wide law that every metal label must make all of their releases available on Bandcamp.

itunes sucks

campj for international digital music distribution Bandcamperism president person!

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #12,726 of 29,666
If elected, my first initiative is to have many releases on Bandcamp "Pay what you want" where consumers can decide how much they would like to give for an album, or download it for free. I also plan to allow users to stream nearly all releases without paying a dime. Lastly, I'd like to make all releases available in a plethora of digital formats to suit consumer's desires: FLAC, ALAC, WAV, 320kbps MP3, and many others! Vote campj for President everyone!

:D

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #12,727 of 29,666
  60k METAL CDs.
And how many CDs do you own overall?

I only own like 300 physical copies and maybe another 400 digital ones (thanks, Bandcamp).
That's still a lot for someone of my age, I guess.

Do you store all your digital files on a PC or do you have them stored on an external drive? I'm always curious how people store digital music and back up  their flies?

I only ask because I've done an overhaul of how listen, access and store music. In my case, I have an old outdated PC I used for music and it won't accommodate all my music. When we bought a new computer for the house, I agreed to keep music off it, so as not to hose it down with all my music.

Now, that I've converted everything to lossless-and I really own 90 some percent-but not all-of my music on CD-vs download and then digitize each CD as I purchase. Since my old PC couldn't store all those lossless files, I have them stored on a Network-attached storage (NAS)connected to a my network providing data access. But, I have to continually remove music from my dinosaur PC. I know newer computers can hold a lot more music.

I haven't counted-but I don't have that much music-nothing like Redcarmoose (you are the man!)-but currently have about 11,000 tracks which is pretty much everything I own digit zed.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #12,728 of 29,666
Just some stuff i've listened to from this year. Just a small list, i'd post more releases but kinda lazy lol.
Black Death Horizon by Obliteration
Death Metal from Norway

a track from the album

Curse & Chapter by Hell
Good ol heavy metal, was surprised that old school heavy metal could be so good in 2013

a track from the album

Aura by Bolzer
Blackened Death Metal from Switzerland. One of the best releases of 2013

Magic Circle- S/T debut
Well done doom metal, singer sounds like Ozzy imo

Seventh Swamphony by Kalmah
Melodic Death Metal, music video is kinda entertaining lol

Death's Crown Is Victory by Solstice
Doom Metal with a Heavy Metal influence, not "doom lite" but is quite epic-ish. Great EP

Waldschrein by Equilibrium
Folk Metal to put it simply, solid EP. I liked it better than their previous album tbh

Autopsychosis by Katalepsy
Slam Death from Russia (with love <3) Also my favorite Slam Death release...evah

The Point of You by Withem
Progressive Metal + Power Metal.
Melodic and Technical Progressive Metal for the Serious Prog Metal Fan ~ Butterflyman (RYM user and review)
a track from the album

The Tide, the Thief & River's End by Caligua's Horse
More Progressive Metal, slightly more prog rock than metal but still metal

Ruins of Humans by Brutality
Floridian Death Metal band makes a return :D

Song of the Crippled Bull by Black Crown Initiate 
Death Metal + Prog/Djent

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #12,729 of 29,666
Do you store all your digital files on a PC or do you have them stored on an external drive? I'm always curious how people store digital music and back up  their flies?

I only ask because I've done an overhaul of how listen, access and store music. In my case, I have an old outdated PC I used for music and it won't accommodate all my music. When we bought a new computer for the house, I agreed to keep music off it, so as not to hose it down with all my music.

Now, that I've converted everything to lossless-and I really own 90 some percent-but not all-of my music on CD-vs download and then digitize each CD as I purchase. Since my old PC couldn't store all those lossless files, I have them stored on a Network-attached storage (NAS)connected to a my network providing data access. But, I have to continually remove music from my dinosaur PC. I know newer computers can hold a lot more music.

I haven't counted-but I don't have that much music-nothing like Redcarmoose (you are the man!)-but currently have about 11,000 tracks which is pretty much everything I own digit zed.

I run a NAS, which is great but slow (no time or $ to church it up), so I also run an HTPC with good large internals and a secondary backup system involving external HDD's, one of which I keep in a bank box LOL. I have a very large collection and I'm quite paranoid about it, it's been 25+ years of acquiring it after all. The ability to download almost anything from iTunes/bandcamp etc. has really changed the way I can get and store music, no doubt. I think I have maybe 100 cd's and 50 LP's left for physical copies and only those because they are collector or box set or an old favorite
One of the nice things about PC is how easy and cheap it is to change or add a fast, large internal drive, which are so much better to work with (for an old guy) than an external or a NAS

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #12,730 of 29,666
Sunn O))) has new material for preorder on their site :p Lucky day!

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #12,732 of 29,666

I keep around 200GB of music on my computer's drive and everything else on a portable hard drive. I would keep it all on my PC for convenience if it would fit. I also have everything on my PC backed up to a 1TB not-so-portable hard drive.

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #12,733 of 29,666
I run a NAS, which is great but slow (no time or $ to church it up), so I also run an HTPC with good large internals and a secondary backup system involving external HDD's, one of which I keep in a bank box LOL. I have a very large collection and I'm quite paranoid about it, it's been 25+ years of acquiring it after all. The ability to download almost anything from iTunes/bandcamp etc. has really changed the way I can get and store music, no doubt. I think I have maybe 100 cd's and 50 LP's left for physical copies and only those because they are collector or box set or an old favorite
One of the nice things about PC is how easy and cheap it is to change or add a fast, large internal drive, which are so much better to work with (for an old guy) than an external or a NAS

Thank you my friend. I need to do some research. 

I'm sure going straight to digital makes more practical sense. Sounds like you keep most of your new digital downloads on the HTPC and back it on the HDD?

I'm still getting the gear for my set up...but I'm beginning to wonder if that ever really ends

I've got most of my pricey Sonos goodies for house listening. Sub and playbar for a home theater. Uh, next upgrade my shelf speakers with some real towers........$2,000 later....maybe look into  new PC options for music. For now, I can still put on quite a bit on my NAS.

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #12,734 of 29,666
I store all my music on my PC and some of my most precious albums as a backup on an external harddrive.

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #12,735 of 29,666
  I store all my music on my PC and some of my most precious albums as a backup on an external harddrive

Makes sense. Do you listen to most of your music directly from the PC vs an traditional stereo set up? I'm guessing a lot of you have monitor speakers for your PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back