Lets Talk Metal
Dec 29, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #12,736 of 29,669
Could it be their collaborative album with Ulver?
Sunn O))) has new material for preorder on their site :p Lucky day!

No that's Terrestials in Feb 2014. CLICK ME

2014 is going to be a BIG year with new releases from Ulver, Agalloch, Behemoth, Godflesh, Pallbearer, Alcest (well, that is not metal and AMG's review wasn't very kind), and Agalloch!

Did I mention Agalloch?

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #12,737 of 29,669

Makes sense. Do you listen to most of your music directly from the PC vs an traditional stereo set up? I'm guessing a lot of you have monitor speakers for your PC.

Directly from my PC. I have some active monitor speakers right in front of me and they are doing their job more than fine.
Really happy with this setup!

I also have a small stereo setup, but that's just a $200 one from LG. I'm barely ever using it :p

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #12,740 of 29,669
  Also Nokturnal Mortum and PROBABLY Darkspace. Hopefully more Vektor as well
:D

And yes, Agalloch + Panoptican. 

I'm totally down for some more Darkspace!
But Nokturnal Mortum? I wouldn't mind these Nazis to just quit and be gone forever.

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #12,741 of 29,669
well i guess it's the end of the year and i've had some time to review my 2013 in metal....so in no particular order 

Leucosis - Leucosis
Killer USBM with a depressing sound and plenty of post rock atmosphere.  Awesome record and a good mix of atmosphere and traditional blast beats

Oathbreaker - Eros/Antaros
It took me a while to warm up to this, but the fantastic vocals and lo-fi feel won me over.  

Gorguts - Coloured Sands
This may be my #1 this year.  Amazing mix of styles and superbly well recorded for how brutal and technical it can be in spots.  And beautiful...which for gorguts is saying something!

Cultes des Ghoules - Henbane
Scary, old school BM, with an occult tongue firmly in chanting cheek.  They don't make it like this much anymore

Cult of Luna - Vertikal
Everyone should have heard this by now.  Just gorgeous and very deep, great for quiet late night listening

Protest the Hero - Volition
Super well recorded uber-tech wankery, and the closest i get to enjoying "prog".  Strong record from the young Canadians 

Gris - A l'Ame Enflammee, l'Ame Constellee
this one has a beauty and delicate side that is impossible to resist.  Sad stuff and constantly rewarding on further listens

The Dillinger Escape Plan - One of us is the Killer
A nod to the older math-metal origins of the band, with plenty of hooks and classic Dillinger wit.  

Immolation - Kingdom of Conspiracy 
Brutal tech death, done right.  Rips from start to finish

Soulfly - Savages
This one surprised me, more brutal and death-oriented than anything from Max in the last decade +.  Just plain fun

And of course the honorable mention, Ash Borer -  Bloodlands.  My favorite metal recording this year without question but only an EP so i won't count it :)

Looking back through there was actually a lot of strong recordings this year, including some surprises from some old school favorites and a good representation of all the genres, it would be easy to name another 10-15 metal albums this year that were outstanding for one reason or another

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #12,742 of 29,669
Colored Sands...didn't like it tbh. The "dynamic mastering" thing left the low-end really murky and totally destroyed the power of Luc's vocals. I get that this was an intentional choice but it grates with me. The drumming sounded uninspired and boring, plus that production and the guitars were kinda messy. No bite or heaviness. I liked what Gorguts tried to do and they are still quite skillful in it but in this type of music the production is kind of a big part of the music

Immolation have been going through the motions tbh, least they haven't gone stale. Kingdom of Conspiracy is proof that they're still good.

Soulfly i never really liked...

DEP and Gris really delivered, so did Cult of Luna and other bands.

Not a fan of USBM really, so i might check out Leucosis .

Cultes des Ghoules sounds Polish, are they from Poland? Just curious, might listen to them.

Anyways, just my opinion. I'm not one of those meathead "elitist" metalhead telling you to go listen to some "ultra-br00tal" Devourment or some shiz like that or the typical RYMer metalhead so...yeah. Hi :D

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #12,744 of 29,669
Colored Sands...didn't like it tbh. The "dynamic mastering" thing left the low-end really murky and totally destroyed the power of Luc's vocals. I get that this was an intentional choice but it grates with me. The drumming sounded uninspired and boring, plus that production and the guitars were kinda messy. No bite or heaviness. I liked what Gorguts tried to do and they are still quite skillful in it but in this type of music the production is kind of a big part of the music

Do you use SoundCheck or ReplayGain when you listen to metal? If not, give it a shot with the new Gorguts record and jump around and see if you still feel the same way.

You may, but figure I would ask anyway.

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #12,745 of 29,669
Looking back through there was actually a lot of strong recordings this year, including some surprises from some old school favorites and a good representation of all the genres, it would be easy to name another 10-15 metal albums this year that were outstanding for one reason or another

Great list, but I want to harp on that last point you made since its spot on. This year had a LOT of awesome albums to choose from. More so than last year I think. What's strange is despite all that I thought overall, the death and doom index both went up (especially death) and the black index was definitely down.

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #12,746 of 29,669
"here"

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #12,747 of 29,669
Apparently they are not fascist anymore.

Suuuuure....
Just the rebelious phase of some pubescent teenagers.

It got a bit silent around this band, but the last thing they posted on their FB site was that they are working on a new album.
So, I guess that's one record I'm looking forward to :)

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #12,748 of 29,669
Yeah, wasn't as many solid black metal releases as there were death and doom (now we need more death doom lol)

And yeah I tried Soundcheck and replay gain and it didn't really change of opinion of Colored Sands. It's a 3.5/5 imo.

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #12,749 of 29,669
Yeah, wasn't as many solid black metal releases as there were death and doom (now we need more death doom lol)

Totally

And yeah I tried Soundcheck and replay gain and it didn't really change of opinion of Colored Sands. It's a 3.5/5 imo.

Thanks for doing that, much appreciated.

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #12,750 of 29,669
Suuuuure....

Just the rebelious phase of some pubescent teenagers.

It got a bit silent around this band, but the last thing they posted on their FB site was that they are working on a new album.

So, I guess that's one record I'm looking forward to :)

[/quote]

Ah Galloloch....lol!

VoS was amazing. Be hard to top that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back