Lets Talk Metal
Dec 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #12,706 of 29,687
Personally, I'd say not being able to digest music the way I used to is the downside. I used to only be able to afford 1-2 CDs per month, and I'd listen to then until they were about worn out. I can put a Deicide album that I haven't heard for ten years on right now and I'd still know every lyric, every riff, and every drum beat. Now I'll buy 5-10 albums at a time every couple weeks because they are cheaper, some are free, and I'm making more money. I can't honestly say I'm completely familiar with all of them. I'll be lucky if I listen to an album five times before moving on.

There's a bright side to this information overload, though. It kind of makes all my newer music sound fresh for a lot longer.

Dec 28, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #12,707 of 29,687
Personally, I'd say not being able to digest music the way I used to is the downside. I used to only be able to afford 1-2 CDs per month, and I'd listen to then until they were about worn out. I can put a Deicide album that I haven't heard for ten years on right now and I'd still know every lyric, every riff, and every drum beat. Now I'll buy 5-10 albums at a time every couple weeks because they are cheaper, some are free, and I'm making more money. I can't honestly say I'm completely familiar with all of them. I'll be lucky if I listen to an album five times before moving on.

There's a bright side to this information overload, though. It kind of makes all my newer music sound fresh for a lot longer.

Oh yeah-it's totally a double edge sword. I wouldn't want to go back to the old days. I haven't posted an end year list, because I'm still buying music from 2013 and a lot of it I have recently and I haven't spent enough time with some of the big hitters-The Ocean, Windhand, Oranssi Pazuzu. I haven't picked up Gorguts yet. Something complex-for instance Altar of Plagues or CUL-both of which I have had for several months-take time to digest. I doubt anyone could listen to either of those two albums once and make a definitive statement.

Also, I definitely buy my share of used stuff and have downloaded free stuff-or borrowed CDs, but I try to be conscious of these bands barely making a living and do think about how they are compensated for their blood sweat and tears. I don't feel that bad about buying  a used copy of some old Rush album or whatever that came out 20 +years ago and figure they are all probably millionaires.

Honestly, I wonder how many people throw something in their top 10 or whatever having streamed it on their Iphone one time. There should probably be a disclosure-this is on my top ten and I actually own this piece of music-the artists made a couple of cents off my enjoyment of their music (the Carcass liner notes says something like thanks to all those who purchased a new copy of this CD), and that  I have listened to this more than once! Or, uh, I'm putting Sunbather/Carcass/Gorguts/In Solitude on my list because everybody says it's the greatest album since The Joshua Tree, ooops wrong genre-Master of/Reign In/Blackwater/Highway to/ Screaming for/Number of the something, and I haven't really listened to it, but I'm sure it's good cause Pitchfork tells me so and it's on 20 other lists.

One thing I know for certain,  no one has listened to every single metal album on every list available on line. So really-how can one say what the best album is....it's more of a case of-these are my favorite albums that I have heard, but there's probably several hundred decent recordings I'll never hear.

(for the record I like Sunbather, bought a new copy and have listened to it a bunch of times...and after all the year's hype I hope they have a couple of nickels to rub together 
devil_face.gif
)

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #12,708 of 29,687
Or, uh, I'm putting Sunbather/Carcass/Gorguts/In Solitude on my list because everybody says it's the greatest album since The Joshua Tree, and I haven't really listened to it, but I'm sure it's good cause Pitchfork tells me so and it's on 20 other lists.

hahaha

That Gorguts is really good. It also takes some time to digest, but it is well worth it. That's one new album I have that has gotten regular rotation since I bought it.

There are a few albums that came out this year that take some good hard listening time to appreciate. I'd list Colored Sands, Vermis, and Gigan's new release.

Gigan's is underrated IMO... it's one of the trippiest, most complex/technical releases this year, and nobody seems to be talking about it. Did not enough people buy it? Does the style not appeal to people? I don't get it.

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #12,709 of 29,687

Or, uh, I'm putting Sunbather/Carcass/Gorguts/In Solitude on my list because everybody says it's the greatest album since The Joshua Tree, and I haven't really listened to it, but I'm sure it's good cause Pitchfork tells me so and it's on 20 other lists.

hahaha

That Gorguts is really good. It also takes some time to digest, but it is well worth it. That's one new album I have that has gotten regular rotation since I bought it.

There are a few albums that came out this year that take some good hard listening time to appreciate. I'd list Colored Sands, Vermis, and Gigan's new release.

Gigan's is underrated IMO... it's one of the trippiest, most complex/technical releases this year, and nobody seems to be talking about it. Did not enough people buy it? Does the style not appeal to people? I don't get it.

I've been resisting Gorguts, but I'm about to break down. I'm just not a big fan of tech death. But, if it's as good as everyone says, I should pick it up. I like to think I'll listen to just about anything if it's well done.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #12,711 of 29,687
I've been resisting Gorguts, but I'm about to break down. I'm just not a big fan of tech death. But, if it's as good as everyone says, I should pick it up. I like to think I'll listen to just about anything if it's well done.

Everyone loves Gorguts, but most don't realize it at first. :D

Dec 28, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #12,712 of 29,687
today i bought tarja turunen double lp on splatter vinyl, very nice package it is too.

Dec 28, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #12,714 of 29,687
  I've been digging a band called Infestus lately. Black metal!

https://dmp666.bandcamp.com/album/e-x-i-s-t

What's most astonishing is that he plays every single instrument on the album, includin the drums. Guy gets mad respect from me, and is criminally overlooked IMO. The result is really maturely crafted, dynamic black metal. This is what professional black metal dressed up in a suit n slacks should sound like, IMO.

Some great news... he has a live lineup and is in the process of creating a new album!

Dec 28, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #12,715 of 29,687

I like to think about it like that. If I want to get to know a piece of music as well as the old albums you mentioned, I can always listen to it more. Having options is nice.

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #12,716 of 29,687
I only know of half the bands posted here. So maybe a couple of years ago I realized there was way more metal coming out than I could get into. In a way I feel lucky because number one, I'm old and feel fine letting metal pass me by. Two that I amassed a bunch of trunks containing 60k of metal CDs. I have enough to listen to for the rest of my life even if I don't get one new album. I guess I'm lost in the years 1990 to 2009. Lol

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #12,718 of 29,687
60k METAL CDs.
And how many CDs do you own overall?

I only own like 300 physical copies and maybe another 400 digital ones (thanks, Bandcamp).
That's still a lot for someone of my age, I guess.

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #12,719 of 29,687
  60k METAL CDs.
And how many CDs do you own overall?

I only own like 300 physical copies and maybe another 400 digital ones (thanks, Bandcamp).
That's still a lot for someone of my age, I guess.

60K CDs? You have a problem. :p

Actually it's is broken up into 3000 CDs and 65 U-haul boxes of records. The records end up being a pain in the azz after a while. CD's are nothing. It is truly amazing when you live with the weight difference between the two formats. CD's are soo much more easy.

Not all my records are extreme metal. A bunch are heavy metal and other junk. About 90% of my CDs are extreme metal. If I get board I just put one on. With my collection some of my stuff I have not heard since 2003. lol

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #12,720 of 29,687
Heavy metal is part of the reason I joined this forum. I need to pursue my need to hear my complex music while on the go and at my shop. After poking around this forum for a day, I've learned that I have much to learn.

Here's some bands I listen to every damn day...

The Sword
Clutch
High on Fire
Gojira
Red Fang
Karma to burn
Orange goblin
Electric wizard
Sleep
Bison BC
Eyehategod
Mastodon
Witchcraft
Baroness
Down
Kyuss
4arm
Goatsnake
Dozer
The Company Band
Alabama thunder *****
Truckfighter
Fireball ministry
Acid Kings

I can't seem to hear this **** loud enough or clear enough. I just bought the Bose QC20. And I'm not sure if they are cutting it. Only had them one day. Noise canceling is great. But it's the sound I'm worried about. Not sure if I could get something better for the same 300 dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back