Lets Talk Metal
Jan 28, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #8,356 of 29,678
Quote:
Displeased did Orchid, Morningrise, and MAYH, which are D-00081/82/83, all double LPs, all Dutch pressings. Prices really aren't bad for them, $40-50. Candlelight repressed them all in 2005 as picture discs, don't bother with those. BOB also redid them all in '08, probably wouldn't bother with those either. The original '02 pressing of Still Life by Peaceville (DLPVILE78) has the same drop out problems as the original CD, and yet people still pay a ton of money for it. Peaceville repressed the album in 2010 as a  LE with a big booklet, and re-released it in 2012 without the booklet. As far as I know it's better than the first pressing, and the 2012 version is readily available and not expensive.

A mint MFN BWP will be probably around $120-150 or so. Ghost Reveries is about the same price. Watershed is expensive, and from what I remember sounds kinda weird as the band wanted an "old fashioned" sound to the vinyl edition. I don't know what that means. Heritage is widely available and not expensive.

DaveBSC....your an amazing reference of information.
Watershed is amazing on vinyl. It sounds state of the art to me. One of the best sounding metal records I have ever heard in my life actually?!

Most likely the most played record for me when I received my WOO 5 LE.

A funny small silver plastic disk rolled out too? An added surprise. All and all I feel Opeth on vinyl may be some of the best recorded metal.

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #8,358 of 29,678
Jan 29, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #8,359 of 29,678
Just a heads up, we got a few promos that are really stellar, a new interview lined up, and we are going to be starting some new series of articles soon on Metal-Fi.....thanks to all who read and give us feedback, Dave and I really appreciate it! :)

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #8,360 of 29,678
Quit talkin' 'bout it and just tell me where to read stuff. :D

Quote:
Just a heads up, we got a few promos that are really stellar, a new interview lined up, and we are going to be starting some new series of articles soon on Metal-Fi.....thanks to all who read and give us feedback, Dave and I really appreciate it! :)

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #8,361 of 29,678
Hey guys, random question: How loud do you listen to your metal? Many genres I listen to I can tolerate low, chill- out volume levels, but with metal I can't help but crank it up a little. I was wondering if anyone else had similar sensibilities, or if im just crazy and forever 18 years old. I can't imagine engaging metal quietly.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #8,362 of 29,678
Hey guys, random question: How loud do you listen to your metal? Many genres I listen to I can tolerate low, chill- out volume levels, but with metal I can't help but crank it up a little. I was wondering if anyone else had similar sensibilities, or if im just crazy and forever 18 years old. I can't imagine engaging metal quietly.

Always lower to mid volumes. Heavy use of dynamic compression normally prevents me from cranking it up. Trade secret, its one of the first things I test when I put on some new music - whether I have control of the volume knob or the insane engineer does.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #8,363 of 29,678
I always felt these guys were overlooked in the early 2000's, members of Buzzov-en, Grimple, and Word Salad.  A little too produced for my tastes, but I'm able to get past that with these guys, really rippin mix of old and new styles.

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #8,364 of 29,678
Quote:

If I can turn music up loud and it just seems to get better as the volume goes up, then I know it's a good mix. Oftentimes it just gets painful, though. I do that with all music, not just metal. I will never turn it up painfully loud or to any level that I think might be damaging to my ears, but it's relatively loud when the production is good.

Haken teaser #2. I hope the entire album isn't like this; too much prog wankery.

http://www.facebook.com/HakenOfficial/app_178091127385

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #8,368 of 29,678
Some promising new thrash metal...

Decaysia

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #8,369 of 29,678
But wait, there's more! I've been having good luck with Youtube lately. I'm liking this atmospheric black metal band, Frozen Land.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #8,370 of 29,678
Alrighty guys. Metal has once again robbed me. 

Pyramids (w/ Wraiths) - Magpie & Raven (One Side, One song. 25 minutes)
Borknagar - Quintessence
Septic Flesh - Mystic Places of Dawn

More vinyl I can't listen to yet. Hoping this Borknagar sounds better than my last one, but Back on Black doesn't make me hopeful. It was used, and cheap, and I love the band so I went for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back