Lets Talk Metal
Feb 2, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #8,386 of 29,678
Quote:
How do you guys feel about Draconian's A Rose for the Apocalypse? I heard a few of their songs via Pandora tonight and really liked it. Same with Zonaria's The Cancer Empire. 

Pandora actually came through for once.

A Rose for the Apocalypse was great! It was a true go ahead for the Gothic genre. Too bad the singer left right after. I'm not really a Goth but purchased that album and the one before it. It was a favorite the year it came out. It's also something that never gets old for some reason.

Great sounding and well thought out masterpiece.

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #8,387 of 29,678
Quote:

Another release that is loved around here is the original release of Catch 22 original release from 2002. It was redone with new vocals in 08 but lost a little of it's dirty spontaneous vibe. I play the CD all the time, though most of the metal community hates it, as they think it's Nu-metal. It's not just experimental and brave.

Equating the brilliant Catch 22 with Mudvayne or Drowning Pool has never made any sense to me whatsoever. Supposedly it all stems from the "garbage can" drum sound that the album has. Whatever. I've always thought it was fantastic. v2.0.0.8 was totally unnecessary IMO, it was basically the same thing with the guitars pushed forward a bit, and the original high pitch shrieks replaced with death growls. Re-recording the whole thing was a total waste of time.

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #8,388 of 29,678
Quote:
How do you guys feel about Draconian's A Rose for the Apocalypse? I heard a few of their songs via Pandora tonight and really liked it. Same with Zonaria's The Cancer Empire. 

Pandora actually came through for once.

Both are great albums. Draconian has released a few short demos with their new singer, but not enough to really get a sense of what she can do. Lisa will be sorely missed, that's for sure. The Cancer Empire rocked, unfortunately their latest one is a MASSIVE disappointment.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #8,389 of 29,678
Anyone listen to The Project Hate MCMXCIX? Heavy, uncompromising and very very anti-christian industrial death metal. One of the few bands that gets the IDM sound right and without gimmicks. Very solid discography overall.

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #8,390 of 29,678
Fun story that involves Metal LPs today. My wife(ish) and I were out to dinner and we were deciding if we wanted to do something or just go home. I grinned and she knew exactly what I wanted to do...trip to the record store. 

She refused but of course eventually caved. On the way there we discussed how bored she got every time I went to the record store. I proposed a rule that I have a feeling we'll follow from now on. She has to flip through some stuff and buy something she's never heard of. Whether it be based on cover art or whatever.

Tonight I knew what I wanted. A copy of In Flames' A Sense of Purpose that I'd been eyeing for a few trips now. Went straight to it and picked it and was ready to go (I had promised to keep it short this time). We were held up by her eyeing something I'd also had my eye on for awhile. A copy of Baroness' Blue Record. She likes pretty things and man is that cover art gorgeous...

So we walked out with my record, and a copy of the Blue Record as well. I have a feeling we'll end up with their Red Record and Yellow & Green Record, too. Looking forward to it. 

I swear...I'm going to get her into music if it kills me (or our bank account). :D

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #8,391 of 29,678
Quote:
Fun story that involves Metal LPs today. My wife(ish) and I were out to dinner and we were deciding if we wanted to do something or just go home. I grinned and she knew exactly what I wanted to do...trip to the record store. 

She refused but of course eventually caved. On the way there we discussed how bored she got every time I went to the record store. I proposed a rule that I have a feeling we'll follow from now on. She has to flip through some stuff and buy something she's never heard of. Whether it be based on cover art or whatever.

Tonight I knew what I wanted. A copy of In Flames' A Sense of Purpose that I'd been eyeing for a few trips now. Went straight to it and picked it and was ready to go (I had promised to keep it short this time). We were held up by her eyeing something I'd also had my eye on for awhile. A copy of Baroness' Blue Record. She likes pretty things and man is that cover art gorgeous...

So we walked out with my record, and a copy of the Blue Record as well. I have a feeling we'll end up with their Red Record and Yellow & Green Record, too. Looking forward to it. 

I swear...I'm going to get her into music if it kills me (or our bank account). :D

I actually purchased that on vinyl too in 08. A beauty of a gatefold. It is pretty good but I still prefer Clayman era In Flames.imo

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #8,392 of 29,678
This might sound bad to some but Come Clarity is my favorite In Flames, I think.

I need to run through their discog again to make sure, but it's the album that got into them and it seems to be the one that always sucks me back in. It's a little whiny, but it's sooo good. 

Quote:
I actually purchased that on vinyl too in 08. A beauty of a gatefold. It is pretty good but I still prefer Clayman era In Flames.imo

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #8,393 of 29,678
Quote:
This might sound bad to some but Come Clarity is my favorite In Flames, I think.

I need to run through their discog again to make sure, but it's the album that got into them and it seems to be the one that always sucks me back in. It's a little whiny, but it's sooo good. 

I think Colony and Clayman are my favorites.

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #8,394 of 29,678

What's funny is my "boss" is so used to me stopping by the record store, she has her routine down. She is actually pretty supportive of my hobby (its a lot cheaper and safer than many others).

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #8,396 of 29,678
Quote:
Guys, in case you are interested, I wrote a little op-ed piece about Ash Borer vs Ash Borer since Profound Lore re-mastered their debut.

Here is the first and amazing track off the original version pro-cassette:

Fans of atmospheric black metal should absolutely go buy this new release!

I'm an older middle age black metal fan. How does that happen? Well, having listened metal since, well the late 70's if you count AC/DC, Kiss, early Aerosmith (OK- not metal), I've just never grown out of that "stage". The difference is-I listened to a much broader range of music than I did when I was 20. I can go from extreme metal to classical to punk to jazz.

In my old age, I have an affinity to wierd, unconventional soundscape stuff. I l really enjoy Nuerosis and Isis and the like. This year, Swans The Seer is my favorite release.

A Few years back I checked out drone-doom....so Earth, Electri Wizzard, and Sunn and Boris, etc. initially got my attention. Sunn's Black One from '05 sparked my interest in blackened drone. And, so there you go.

That said-
I like the new Ash Borer. I think the Winterfelleth and Marduk releases this year are pretty good as well. The final in the Blut Aus Nord is pretty compelling-not exactly metal, huh?

I'm having a harder time getting into Bosse De Nage.

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #8,397 of 29,678
Quote:

I think the Blue is my favorite-Yellow and Green is very good-much more of a rock album, though.

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #8,398 of 29,678
Cradle Of Filth is coming to town in april, I have heard a song or two and I think they're ok, but to anyone who has seen them before, is the show worth it?

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #8,399 of 29,678
They were great live with their earlier albums but I'm not sure how they'll be because I hated this new album. No telling how the live show changed. They're touring with great bands though...and NOT COMING TO AUSTIN.

Quote:
Cradle Of Filth is coming to town in april, I have heard a song or two and I think they're ok, but to anyone who has seen them before, is the show worth it?

See, we make trips to the record store maybe...twice a week. I can't go myself as I can't drive (vision issues) so she has to take me...every time. lol

Quote:
What's funny is my "boss" is so used to me stopping by the record store, she has her routine down. She is actually pretty supportive of my hobby (its a lot cheaper and safer than many others).

Good to hear that they're good. Even if I hated every album I'd want just to art to frame. Pissed I missed some of the first pressing color editions. They did some gorgeous stuff.

Quote:
I think the Blue is my favorite-Yellow and Green is very good-much more of a rock album, though.

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #8,400 of 29,678
Quote:
They were great live with their earlier albums but I'm not sure how they'll be because I hated this new album. No telling how the live show changed. They're touring with great bands though...and NOT COMING TO AUSTIN.

Thanks, I'll check some more of their music... I probably won't go but it would be nice, I recently moved and here a lot of black/ death metal bands come, the metal community here is quite large, so we get a lot of bands every year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back