Lets Talk Metal
Jan 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #8,344 of 29,678
My recent vinyl Metal buys have cleaned out my LP fund for the most part, but I'll try to squeeze this one in as I have no AA in my collection. 

But if I want to get my new TT and Phono stage I have to stop buying ******* LPs. lol

Quote:
Oh sweet.....definitely pick it up! :)

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #8,345 of 29,678
Quote:
Be careful, that might be Back on Black reissue, not the original Metal Blade.

You're right, I didn't look at the details. But you said you haven't heard it yet, right? So it's entirely possible that it sounds as good as the Metal Blade version?

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #8,346 of 29,678
Back on Black is usually good stuff, but honestly, you might as well go original pressing for damn near the same price.

Quote:
You're right, I didn't look at the details. But you said you haven't heard it yet, right? So it's entirely possible that it sounds as good as the Metal Blade version?

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #8,347 of 29,678
Quote:
Back on Black is usually good stuff, but honestly, you might as well go original pressing for damn near the same price.

That's true. For that price I would take a chance with it and report back, but my vinyl rig isn't anywhere near being up to audiophile standards.

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #8,348 of 29,678

I can't believe how good the guitar is in Ophiolatry's album Transmutation.

New Koldbrann out now. Amazing!

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #8,349 of 29,678
Quote:
My recent vinyl Metal buys have cleaned out my LP fund for the most part, but I'll try to squeeze this one in as I have no AA in my collection. 

But if I want to get my new TT and Phono stage I have to stop buying ******* LPs. lol

If you're going to buy some AA on vinyl, this is the album to get. The Twilight Of The Thunder God vinyl release also sounds superb, but not quite as superb as With Oden. It's also not as good of an album, at least IMO. I haven't heard the Surtur Rising vinyl yet, I'll let you know on that one. Don't bother with Fate Of Norns and below on vinyl, the sound is really no better than the CDs.

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #8,350 of 29,678
Quote:

The big question is where'd they get their master. BOB has been known to press from redbook masters before. I would be quite unhappy if that's what they used. In general, at least 90% of the time the first pressing sounds best, unless somebody like MFSL, Analogue Productions, Music Matters, ORG etc does a high quality audiophile grade reissue from either original master tapes or high-res uncompressed masters with true experts at the controls. Koch and MOV royally blew it with the Opeth reissues for example. The early Opeth Displeased Records first pressings are pretty affordable, but of course the Music For Nations BWP isn't. It's the only way to do it right, though.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #8,351 of 29,678
The big question is where'd they get their master. BOB has been known to press from redbook masters before. I would be quite unhappy if that's what they used. In general, at least 90% of the time the first pressing sounds best, unless somebody like MFSL, Analogue Productions, Music Matters, ORG etc does a high quality audiophile grade reissue from either original master tapes or high-res uncompressed masters with true experts at the controls. Koch and MOV royally blew it with the Opeth reissues for example. The early Opeth Displeased Records first pressings are pretty affordable, but of course the Music For Nations BWP isn't. It's the only way to do it right, though.

Do you by chance have catalog numbers for those Opeth releases? They didn't do the whole catalog did they? Honestly the Opeth stuff is a bit elusive and I need it in my life. Even if BWL costs me $150.

Jan 27, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #8,352 of 29,678
Quote:
Do you by chance have catalog numbers for those Opeth releases? They didn't do the whole catalog did they? Honestly the Opeth stuff is a bit elusive and I need it in my life. Even if BWL costs me $150.

Displeased did Orchid, Morningrise, and MAYH, which are D-00081/82/83, all double LPs, all Dutch pressings. Prices really aren't bad for them, $40-50. Candlelight repressed them all in 2005 as picture discs, don't bother with those. BOB also redid them all in '08, probably wouldn't bother with those either. The original '02 pressing of Still Life by Peaceville (DLPVILE78) has the same drop out problems as the original CD, and yet people still pay a ton of money for it. Peaceville repressed the album in 2010 as a  LE with a big booklet, and re-released it in 2012 without the booklet. As far as I know it's better than the first pressing, and the 2012 version is readily available and not expensive.

A mint MFN BWP will be probably around $120-150 or so. Ghost Reveries is about the same price. Watershed is expensive, and from what I remember sounds kinda weird as the band wanted an "old fashioned" sound to the vinyl edition. I don't know what that means. Heritage is widely available and not expensive.

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #8,353 of 29,678
Displeased did Orchid, Morningrise, and MAYH, which are D-00081/82/83, all double LPs, all Dutch pressings. Prices really aren't bad for them, $40-50. Candlelight repressed them all in 2005 as picture discs, don't bother with those. BOB also redid them all in '08, probably wouldn't bother with those either. The original '02 pressing of Still Life by Peaceville (DLPVILE78) has the same drop out problems as the original CD, and yet people still pay a ton of money for it. Peaceville repressed the album in 2010 as a  LE with a big booklet, and re-released it in 2012 without the booklet. As far as I know it's better than the first pressing, and the 2012 version is readily available and not expensive.

A mint MFN BWP will be probably around $120-150 or so. Ghost Reveries is about the same price. Watershed is expensive, and from what I remember sounds kinda weird as the band wanted an "old fashioned" sound to the vinyl edition. I don't know what that means. Heritage is widely available and not expensive.

Thanks for that, really. I'm mainly wanting a mint BWP and Watershed. Sounds like Watershed will be the kicker. I'll scrounge up some Discovs stuff and see what I find price wise. Thanks.

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #8,354 of 29,678
Quote:

I have the Watershed LP rip, it sounds great. I have no idea what they meant by old fashioned, but the mix doesn't sound very different or weird in any way.

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #8,355 of 29,678
Quote:
I have the Watershed LP rip, it sounds great. I have no idea what they meant by old fashioned, but the mix doesn't sound very different or weird in any way.

Gwynbleidd is awesome. Thank you for the recommendation. Cheers!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back