Lets Talk Metal
Oct 30, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #2,147 of 29,686

Quote:
So I saw this and kinda laughed...

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Elitist_Musical_Bastards#The_Black_Metal_Elitist

lol, I hate you for making me feel gay

edit: all of us, actually
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #2,149 of 29,686
 Buys from the last two or three weeks:

5128959946_01ff38756e_z.jpg

- Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II - Dialogue With The Stars - Candlelight CANDLE141CD
- Immortal - Damned In Black - Osmose Productions OPCDL 095
- Slayer - Reign In Blood - Unknown, Matrix: NO 1468
- Slayer - South of Heaven - Def Jam 9 24203-2
- Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell - Warner Bros CD 3372
- Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal To the Flesh - Earache MOSH 180 CD
- Artillery - Terror Squad - Roadrunner / FGL / Axe Killer 3038642 ARC 321
- Black Sabbath - Sabotage - Essential ESM CD 306
- Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated - Metal Blade Records 3984-14427-2
- Burzum - Burzum / Aske - Misanthropy / Cymophane Prod. AMAZON 003 EYE 003
- Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane - Nuclear Blast NB 129 27361 61292
- Darkthrone - Hate Them - Moonfog Records TE034
- Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters - Southern Lord SUNN83
- Napalm Death - F.E.T.O. + Scum - Earache Records MOSH 8CD
- Candlemass - Ancient Dreams 2CD - Peaceville Records CDVILED203X
- Kampfar - Heimgang - Napalm Records NPR 257
- Merrimack - Grey Rigorism - Osmose Productions OPCD 229
- Thor's Hammer - May the Hammer Smash the Cross - Ancestral Research Records AR002
- Isengard - Vinterskugge Peaceville Records CDVILEM 61
- Primordial - Imrama - Cacophonous Records NIHIL 8CD
- Terrorizer - World Downfall (grey version, or is it green?) - Earache MOSH 16CD
- Bethlehem - Dark Metal - Red Stream RSR-0117
- Bethlehem - Dictius Te Necare - Red Stream RSR-0112
- Bethlehem - S.U.I.Z.I.D. - Red Stream RSR-0118
- Taake - ...Doedskvad" - Karisma Records KAR 006
- Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest - Nuclear Blast NB 2224-2 27361
- Hades - ...Again Shall Be - Displeased Records D-00201
- Abyssic Hate - Suicidal Emotions - No Colours Records NC 039 (digipak ltd to 1000 copies)

I'm almost there
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #2,150 of 29,686

Quote:
Hah. That was good. I think Metalocalypse nailed black metal elitism pretty well.

Pretty much on the money.  Well you know what, if you are Black Metal kinda guy, you kinda have to be an elitist <insert some kind of derogatory remark> in order to foster and support the music.  If you enlisted more people to listen to band X your worse nightmare may come true:  More than 6 people know and enjoy them.

My favorite line in the above clip is:

Black Metal Dude:  "Do you like this?"

Pickles: "Kinda."

Black Metal Dude:  "Then I hates it."

That pretty much sums it up.

EDIT:  I was definitely ridiculed because I didn't know who Voivod were  (I do now obviously).

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #2,151 of 29,686

Quote:
My favorite line in the above clip is:  
Black Metal Dude:  "Do you like this?"

Pickles: "Kinda."

Black Metal Dude:  "Then I hates it."

That pretty much sums it up.

Yep. I also love the dig at black metal production.

"Where are the Dethklok records?"

"I don't sell those. Sigh..... too digital."

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #2,152 of 29,686
Jpac, that's pretty cool man.

I just ordered an Atlantean Kodex shirt. Hellyeah

Btw, elitism is good for music. Why reject it?

Also, words of the wise

"My English its not good and i don't have many post.
If you play many years rock metal loud and get old you will have an ear problem.
If you get old you will need soft sounds to your ears and slower.
If you are 16-22years old your blood its very hot.

Scream and die don't cry"

Nov 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #2,153 of 29,686

Quote:
That's a very personal question, isn't it?  It depends on your perspective.  The early stuff was pioneering but sounds very dated by todays standards.  I would like to hear a newly recorded version of To Mega... but that's an impossible dream.  I can just imagine it with the sound and slower grooving pace of Celtic Frost 2004, it would be awesome.

@ cianyx, I agree with you about Triptykon, not quite CF but I respect TGF/W enough to see them play, if I ever get the chance.  What I have heard of Episastera Daimones sounds too dreary compared to the incredible energy of Monotheist.  I think Tom is taking the down tempo mood thing a bit too far, but hopefully they improve.  The thing that made CF great was the tension and spark between Warrior and Ain, which ultimately destroyed them.  How romantic :wink:

btw I admire the way Monotheist retains the guitar signature of their early albums, and is able to make it heavier and rawer and fresh all at the same time.  I LOVE the distortion and feedback layers, the extraneous string noise that was deliberately left in.  It speaks to me of passion, integrity and vision.  However, a remastering at a lower volume would help a lot to see much further into the layers.

Be warned Trogdor, CF is not about precise musicianship and perfect sound, so you may not like CF at all...

I like Morbid Tales more than I do In Mega Therion (IMT) after giving both a whirl twice.

Morbid Tales seems more diverse to me and seems to age better to my ears than IMT.  It also retains its black metal feel as the whole album has a darker atmosphere than IMT. 

I especially like the slow progressions which devolve into a main theme with some interesting breakdowns in between  (Dethroned Emperor is my favorite by far for its sure diversity).

For some reason Usurper off of IMT feels like it could be an old school Slayer song if played a tad faster.

I'd be interested in what Mono has to offer....did they go more IMT or more Tales?

Nov 1, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #2,154 of 29,686

Quote:
Jpac, that's pretty cool man.

I just ordered an Atlantean Kodex shirt. Hellyeah

Btw, elitism is good for music. Why reject it?

Also, words of the wise

"My English its not good and i don't have many post.
If you play many years rock metal loud and get old you will have an ear problem.
If you get old you will need soft sounds to your ears and slower.
If you are 16-22years old your blood its very hot.

Scream and die don't cry"

Because the reasoning behind the elitist is typically idiotic.  Rejecting music based on some meta property (the group's popularity) instead of the music itself is ridiculous.  Most of the folks who fit the BM elitist archetype have some sense that they have been bestowed magical ears and that they live on a higher plain of existence which allows them to "get it."

Nov 1, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #2,155 of 29,686
Show me a person who has done that. Elitism has never been about rejecting music based on it's popularity. The vast majority of bands typically worshipped by these so called 'elitists' are extremely popular within the scene and usually considered staples in it. Case in point, Morbid Angel, Possessed, Immolation, Deicide and At the Gates. For BM, Mayhem, Burzum, Immortal, Bathory and Darkthrone. All liked within the metal community despite being the biggest names in metal

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #2,156 of 29,686

Quote:
Show me a person who has done that. Elitism has never been about rejecting music based on it's popularity. The vast majority of bands typically worshipped by these so called 'elitists' are extremely popular within the scene and usually considered staples in it. Case in point, Morbid Angel, Possessed, Immolation, Deicide and At the Gates. For BM, Mayhem, Burzum, Immortal, Bathory and Darkthrone. All liked within the metal community despite being the biggest names in metal

Correct. But Elitist still has a ring about a pretentious twit who is bumping his own self-esteem thinking he is somehow better than others for reason or another, "Elite" you know. Thats why I prefer term Purist as in my ears the tern is not so much aabout the listeners selfworth but more about the very picky/perfectionist taste of music/genre.

Nov 2, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #2,157 of 29,686

Quote:

Correct. But Elitist still has a ring about a pretentious twit who is bumping his own self-esteem thinking he is somehow better than others for reason or another, "Elite" you know. Thats why I prefer term Purist as in my ears the tern is not so much aabout the listeners selfworth but more about the very picky/perfectionist taste of music/genre.

Exactly.  I have already been told that I am closed minded because I listen to *mostly mainstream heavy metal* music.  <---- Right there is immediate proof of some kind of subvert pretentiousness.

Nov 2, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #2,158 of 29,686
SO I saw the Devin Townsend project a couple of days ago.  I met Devin Townsend.  Really nice Canadian.  Very thankful of his fans, really goes the extra mile.

The show was great.  He played for 2 hours with a small break and had 10 people come up on stage to dance to Bendit like Bender.  Really cheese.  But great none the less.  His set was mainly Ziltoid, Addicted, and some Accelerated (not much, he did play Deadhead thank god).  No Ki.  I was kinda bummed out by that.  I realize its slower material but I really like it.

The band sounded tight and he was really pumped.  It was a small show and there only ~100 folks at the show.

What's interesting is before the show, he plays some prerecorded Ziltoid sketch where Ziltoid is a radio DJ playing the hardest metal on the planet (our planet) which consisted of "I'm a Barbie Girl" and one of Beyonce's later singles.  Good stuff.  Drove me nuts for 15 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back