Lets Talk Metal
Nov 2, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #2,161 of 29,684
For fans of melodic death and thrash metal: I just discovered a new relatively new band called Survivors Zero, and I'm really digging the blend of thrash and melodic death styles. Great vocals too. Check these guys out.

Nov 2, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #2,162 of 29,684

Quote:
Exactly.  I have already been told that I am closed minded because I listen to *mostly mainstream heavy metal* music.  <---- Right there is immediate proof of some kind of subvert pretentiousness.

I've got no problem being labelled pretentious, and there's nothing subversive or covert about it.  You demonstrated that you are also pretentious when you subjectively stated that the music you listen to is 'better'.  Moreover, I think pretty much all people who listen to metal are pretentious, especially purists, as they, or should I say we, think that we are somehow 'special' or 'different'.  It's horses for courses.

Sorry to be picky, but I think you may have meant covert???

[size=medium] [size=small]sub·vert[/size][size=small]/səbˈvərt/[/size][/size]

[size=small]Verb: Undermine the power and authority of (an established system or institution).[/size]

The main point I was trying to get through to you (and others) is that there are infinite rewards for those who are open minded (so far you haven't successfully demonstrated that you are).  Consider it a step up to the next echelon of pretentiousness 
wink.gif

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #2,163 of 29,684

Quote:
I've got no problem being labelled pretentious, and there's nothing subversive or covert about it.  You demonstrated that you are also pretentious when you subjectively stated that the music you listen to is 'better'.  Moreover, I think pretty much all people who listen to metal are pretentious, especially purists, as they, or should I say we, think that we are somehow 'special' or 'different'.  It's horses for courses.

Sorry to be picky, but I think you may have meant covert???

[size=medium] [size=small]sub·vert[/size][size=small]/səbˈvərt/[/size][/size]

[size=small]Verb: Undermine the power and authority of (an established system or institution).[/size]

Response 1

No I meant subvert, i.e. the established system or institution. In this case representing your definition of "mainly mainstream metal" as the standard. I am not sure why it would be covert since you are being explicit in your pretentiousness. 
tongue_smile.gif

Never did I say my music is "better."  I just commented on what I thought about some of the BM bands posted.  Comparing BM to Melo DM to me, is apples vs oranges argument.

The main point I was trying to get through to you (and others) is that there are infinite rewards for those who are open minded (so far you haven't successfully demonstrated that you are).  Consider it a step up to the next echelon of pretentiousness 
wink.gif

I haven't demonstrated it to you it seems. And the defense rests....

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #2,165 of 29,684
For those who care, the new Agalloch has been youknowwhat. Be warned that it's their most black metal sounding album ever.

EDIT: The new Atheist has been youknowwhat too. But I don't need to hear it to know that it will suck.

Nov 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #2,166 of 29,684
Anyone ever listen to this band?  Great old-school Swedish death with that punkish sound and filthy guitar tone. 

Been jamming this a lot too.  Its like Incantation with more evil.  If that's possible.  Something about fall and winter is just suited to this music.

Nov 4, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #2,167 of 29,684

Quote:
For those who care, the new Agalloch has been youknowwhat. Be warned that it's their most black metal sounding album ever.

EDIT: The new Atheist has been youknowwhat too. But I don't need to hear it to know that it will suck.

http://www.vivahaterecords.com/agalloch/

Has a new song on it.  I got this link from another site posted off of MetalStorm.net that has another new song from the new album.  Very cool, I am still checking them out.

Do you have the new album?  What is the best album in your opinion?

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #2,168 of 29,684

Quote:
http://www.vivahaterecords.com/agalloch/

Has a new song on it.  I got this link from another site posted off of MetalStorm.net that has another new song from the new album.  Very cool, I am still checking them out.

Do you have the new album?  What is the best album in your opinion?

The Mantle is the only Agalloch album that I have so I can't compare it to their others, but I think it is excellent. 

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #2,170 of 29,684
Chimp Spanner, BTBAM, Animals As Leaders, Lye By Mistake, Canvas Solaris, PTH, Gordian Knot, ...

Quote:
fan of progressive metal here, any recommendations?

i can listen to anything as long as it isn't as harsh as death metal, black metal, ect.

Nov 5, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #2,173 of 29,684
pfft..your grip on the English language is a little tenuous, my friend. As is your memory of your own statements...

I think we are from different planets, after all 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

1.  Phillip Glass (the K was a typo (my apologies))

2a. No that example is better than all you have offered so far so you first...don't make me post Slayer live...don't make me.... :)

2b.  You mentioned flashy guitar work of melodic DM as being over the top and purist metal guys like me shun the simple progressions and incoherent screamings/growls of metalcore

3.  See we agree in the end.

Btw, Wagner was a prick and disgusting human being on several levels including the belief in eugenics and the whole final solution movement of the Nazis.  I agree he is a musical genius and was the first director of a big budget hollywood production (the Ring Cycle: combining the poetry of operta and the epicness of mythology with a sprinkle of German technical virtuosity) but the man was just disgusting....

Nov 5, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #2,174 of 29,684

Anekdoten, Virus (ex- Ved Buens Ende), Thee Maldoror Collective (now called TMC), Univers Zero (not really metal but very progressive rock), Riverside (Dream Theatre-ish), Arcturus (The Sham Mirrors)...
Quote:
fan of progressive metal here, any recommendations?

i can listen to anything as long as it isn't as harsh as death metal, black metal, ect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back