Lets Talk Metal
Oct 28, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #2,131 of 29,701
Finally, some people whose fine taste in music I can relate to:

Quote:

rehabitat you know there's a Wacken '06 video of the whole concert (50 min.) floating around with much, much better sound. Speaking of festivals.. Hellfest '11, with three Swiss band, but that's not all.. Bad Brains and Melvins OMG. 

Guess Wacken gotten to big and generic, before there were some problems with the logistic for Hellfest, but the last years this festival has really gotten very good. Highly recommended and one can also combine it with a holiday in France and Netherlands, high speed Thalys from Paris to Amsterdam 3h 18m. There also this -> http://www.avantgardefestival.de/ the weekend after Hellfest. As you can tell I'm researching my next summer holiday..

Thanks for the heads up on the wacken show, I'll have to track that down.  Maybe on Zomb...

Man I wish I could plan a holiday just so...very slim
normal_smile .gif
 chance for me to go as my wife's cousin is marrying in Germany next spring...savesavesave!!!!!!!!!!
we'll see.  I am in Australia, so it will be difficult.

Yes, the Swiss triptych from hell; Coroner, Young Gods and Triptykon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ooOh!  there's something about them Swiss..........anyone want to buy a kidney???

edit: If they add Sleepytime Gorilla Museum to the roster, I'll throw in my left lung.

Quote:
Thanks. I spent all last night tracking down Coroner albums. I now have...

Death Cult
R.I.P
Punishment For Decadence
No More Color
Mental Vortex
Grin
Coroner
The Unknown Unreleased Tracks (1985-1995)
Death Cult (2009)

Wow!  you move fast.  Okay NMC and Grin are top for me, the ST and the live set on UUT come close second.

I am very pleased to help a new convert to Coroner.  This is my mission in life, you see.  That way I get to know those with truly good taste 
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #2,132 of 29,701
Speaking of Triptykon, new EP out a few days ago. Official vid here. Bring back Monotheist. I don't even know what this is. It's just atmosphere for the sake of it. The riffs are incredibly weak and boring. Stick with the Full-length. I'm not a fan of it, but it still retains the aspects albeit less effectively which made Monotheist amazing.

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #2,133 of 29,701
I have a wishlist for Hellfest '11, hoping that they'll get Giant Squid to Europe:

That Triptykon EP are from the recording sessions of their first record, leftovers that didn't make it.. so my expectation are low. Those 17 minutes might be of some interest, but I suspect it's more for the die hard fans cashing out. At least it seems that we get another album from Tom Gabriel Fischer and the current line-up, looking forward seeing them live. If Hellfest booked Samael it would be scary...

Looking forward to next summer already, hope that the avant-garde festival near Hamburg book some great acts, as in recent years Faust, Moebius/ Rother, Chris Cutler, member of Amon Düül and Guru Guru have played there.. reaching levels of intensity that gets the attention of any (free minded) metal fan.

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #2,134 of 29,701

Quote:

Wow!  you move fast.  Okay NMC and Grin are top for me, the ST and the live set on UUT come close second.

I am very pleased to help a new convert to Coroner.  This is my mission in life, you see.  That way I get to know those with truly good taste 
biggrin.gif

I haven't listened to them all yet. But when I get some spare cash I will treat myself to a CD of Grin.

Oct 28, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #2,136 of 29,701
Many dislike Monotheist, but I like the new style compared to the old. At Wacken they even played older material in their new Monotheistical way, which was great as I dislike rehasing of oldies, but goldies. There's a concencus about Cold Lake though, but most I think agrees about this:

BNR Metal Pages:
The essence of Celtic Frost is best captured in the first three albums, with Morbid Tales being the most raw, Pandemonium the most experimental (and BNR favorite), and To Mega Therion being the most consistent and probably the best representation of the band's style.

Oct 28, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #2,138 of 29,701

Quote:
What is Celtic Frost's best album?  To Mega Therion?

That's a very personal question, isn't it?  It depends on your perspective.  The early stuff was pioneering but sounds very dated by todays standards.  I would like to hear a newly recorded version of To Mega... but that's an impossible dream.  I can just imagine it with the sound and slower grooving pace of Celtic Frost 2004, it would be awesome.

@ cianyx, I agree with you about Triptykon, not quite CF but I respect TGF/W enough to see them play, if I ever get the chance.  What I have heard of Episastera Daimones sounds too dreary compared to the incredible energy of Monotheist.  I think Tom is taking the down tempo mood thing a bit too far, but hopefully they improve.  The thing that made CF great was the tension and spark between Warrior and Ain, which ultimately destroyed them.  How romantic :wink:

btw I admire the way Monotheist retains the guitar signature of their early albums, and is able to make it heavier and rawer and fresh all at the same time.  I LOVE the distortion and feedback layers, the extraneous string noise that was deliberately left in.  It speaks to me of passion, integrity and vision.  However, a remastering at a lower volume would help a lot to see much further into the layers.

Be warned Trogdor, CF is not about precise musicianship and perfect sound, so you may not like CF at all...

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #2,139 of 29,701

Quote:
I just got Decapitated - Organic Hallucinosis, and all I can say is that it's great.  Can't wait to catch them touring, and see how the new members mesh with the old when it comes time to write new material.  

I've been wanting to like them.  I tried, but nothing clicked with me which is odd considering with the bands I like they SHOULD fit right in.

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #2,142 of 29,701

Quote:
I've been wanting to like them.  I tried, but nothing clicked with me which is odd considering with the bands I like they SHOULD fit right in.

Not even their Winds Of Creation album? Album which I consider nothing short of masterpiece? (with heavy does of nostalgia I admit as it is the album that got me into deathmetal)

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #2,144 of 29,701

Not even their Winds Of Creation album? Album which I consider nothing short of masterpiece? (with heavy does of nostalgia I admit as it is the album that got me into deathmetal)

I went to youtube and listened to a few tracks.  Don't get me wrong, it's better than the average death metal band.  I like tracks "nine steps" (especially the last riff) and "the eye of horus", but I'll probably never buy it.

I often listen to death.fm, having it on in the background and occasionally I'll hear a riff that turns my head causing me to  look and see who is playing.  There have been times where that band was Decapitated.  But when I gave it a chance to the very end, I never felt like purchasing it.  It was just good.  Same with Nile.  I know it's great music, but it just doesn't click for me.

I can say nothing bad about either bad though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back