Lets Talk Metal
May 23, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #18,976 of 29,666
  If you want to comment on a song, that's fine and dandy, but if you want to judge a band (implying their complete discography), you can't judge something you haven't heard.

So I'm not allowed to say that I don't like band X unless I've heard every second of every single album the band released?

May 23, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #18,977 of 29,666
  So I'm not allowed to say that I don't like band X unless I've heard every second of every single album the band released?

You are free to say and like whatever you like...but if you haven't heard a song/album by a band, you can hardly comment on it. So whatever you say is based on what you have heard so far. For all you know, you might like their other stuff much more. Most great bands have sub-par material in addition to the quality stuff. So it's really about how you specify things. If you word it in a way that means you didn't like what you heard so far, fair enough; but if you say a band sucks, and only listen to one album or song or whatever, it's hardly enough exposure to make such an assessment. Taste in music is very subjective anyway, so I guess all I'm saying is that we should state our preferences in a manner which reflects that, preferably only after really getting to know a band before jumping to conclusions. But even I can agree that Antaeus' songwriting is a little monotonous.

Put more simply, you wouldn't publish a movie review without even watching the entire movie, would you? This applies more to those who make sweeping statements about a band instead of merely stating they dislike them.

May 23, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #18,978 of 29,666

All I'm saying is that you have to actually listen to a band's songs (all of their songs!) before judging them. If you haven't even listened to them, you have no say in the matter.

I was trying to make a joke.

The songs you posted, or at least the ones I listened to, were alright. I've heard better, and I've heard worse.

May 23, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #18,979 of 29,666

You are free to say and like whatever you like...but if you haven't heard a song/album by a band, you can hardly comment on it. So whatever you say is based on what you have heard so far. For all you know, you might like their other stuff much more. Most great bands have sub-par material in addition to the quality stuff. So it's really about how you specify things. If you word it in a way that means you didn't like what you heard so far, fair enough; but if you say a band sucks, and only listen to one album or song or whatever, it's hardly enough exposure to make such an assessment. Taste in music is very subjective anyway, so I guess all I'm saying is that we should state our preferences in a manner which reflects that, preferably only after really getting to know a band before jumping to conclusions. But even I can agree that Antaeus' songwriting is a little monotonous.

Put more simply, you wouldn't publish a movie review without even watching the entire movie, would you? This applies more to those who make sweeping statements about a band instead of merely stating they dislike them.

Should have phrased it like this in your initial post :wink:
That is something I can agree on (halfheartedly). I legit think that artists like Nicki Minaj or Riff Raff are objectively bad and I will continue stating this opinion without wasting precious lifetime on listening through all the trash they released, even if that would mean that a some people would discount my opinion as the ramblings of an "uninformed".

May 23, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #18,980 of 29,666
  Should have phrased it like this in your initial post :wink:
That is something I can agree on (halfheartedly). I legit think that artists like Nicki Minaj or Riff Raff are objectively bad and I will continue stating this opinion without wasting precious lifetime on listening through all the trash they released, even if that would mean that a some people would discount my opinion as the ramblings of an "uninformed".

I wanted to make it sound like I was the dark lord of metal throwing people into the abyss, though! lol =P

I think most of us here think lots of mainstream music is inexcusable garbage.

So since you may not organize your thoughts enough to make a post in the headphones for metal thread...can you tell me more about what made you like the Kennerton Odin more than other headphones with metal? Did you like it more than other headphones with other genres as well?

May 23, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #18,983 of 29,666
Today i listened to Amon Amarth again, and i really loved how the guitars were separated between themselves, specially on pursuit of the vikings song. Amazing sound with good equipment...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_Oden_on_Our_Side
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deceiver_of_the_Gods

I like these two.

May 23, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #18,984 of 29,666

Good band. Gotta love that synchronized head-swinging.

The head thing was one of the main reasons i got into listening the band when i was only 14 years old... I really thought that it was something unique. In fact, this is the first death metal band i ever listened to.

These days i had also listened to brain drill, a very violend technical death metal band... People in this thread might love it...

May 23, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #18,986 of 29,666
  So since you may not organize your thoughts enough to make a post in the headphones for metal thread...can you tell me more about what made you like the Kennerton Odin more than other headphones with metal? Did you like it more than other headphones with other genres as well?

Oops, forgot about that :|

Well, I was a big fan of the sound signature. Thought it goes great with Metal. Enhanced, warm bass with a lot of depth and texture. "Creamy" (I hate that term) forward mids. Vocals were not too prominent. Highs did not extend that high, but that made them not fatiguing at all.
Overall very organic sound with a club-concert-like presentation. Would totally buy if I had the money.
Hmmm I don't think they are that well suited for Classic or a lot of Jazz. I would buy some STAX for that.

May 23, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #18,987 of 29,666
  If you have the patience to wait and listen the entire song , which is pretty long, painted in exile is amazing... Very deep band...

Has its moments.
Too Deathcore-ish for me though.

May 23, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #18,988 of 29,666
  Oops, forgot about that :|

Well, I was a big fan of the sound signature. Thought it goes great with Metal. Enhanced, warm bass with a lot of depth and texture. "Creamy" (I hate that term) forward mids. Vocals were not too prominent. Highs did not extend that high, but that made them not fatiguing at all.
Overall very organic sound with a club-concert-like presentation. Would totally buy if I had the money.
Hmmm I don't think they are that well suited for Classic or a lot of Jazz. I would buy some STAX for that.

I see. Definitely something to add to the collection eventually. My top priority is to find the most accurate headphones out there, though. The HE1000, HD 800, and SR-009 hold the most interest for me...not that I can exactly afford them at the moment. I've been so disappointed by non-summit-fi headphones (even $500-1,000 models) that I see the TOTL stuff as my only hope. (In the context of finding an ultimate headphone that is the most accurate and sounds great with everything, not counting bad recordings.) A few local Head-Fi'ers and I are organizing a mini-meet, so I might be able to hear the HE1000, Abyss, HD 800, HE-6, and maybe even the SR-009 all in one go soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back