Lets Talk Metal
May 24, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #19,006 of 29,687
May 25, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #19,007 of 29,687
Anyone know of good death metal out this year? The only things I have been impressed by are Sulphur Aeon and Ad Nauseam (I have Alkaloid... It's aiiight, but not great)? Any old school recommendations?

There have been a lot of massive black metal albums though... Shining, Porta Negra, Akhlys, and my favorite, Arcturus.

Do you consider Keep of Kalessin to be death metal? I picked up their new release Epistemology the other day. Haven't actually listened to it yet (at least all the way through) so I can't really comment on it, but I got it on the strength of the streaming samples I've heard, and I was a big fan of their last album Reptilian.

Really looking forward to Arcturus' Arcturian myself, the preview stuff I've heard so far has been promising. Paradise Lost has a new album called Plague Within coming out soon too that sounds very death metal-ish.

May 25, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #19,008 of 29,687
It's maybe more like epic symphonic blackened death metal (and whatever other adjective you want to throw on there). Not particularly what I am after right now, but they don't sound bad. Thanks for the tip. I'll probably buy Undead and Gruesome to satisfy my hankering for new OSDM.

That Arcturus is really great. I had only heard some songs off their weaker albums, so I thought they sucked... Arcturian definitely changed my mind about them. I'll be getting The Sham Mirrors ASAP, as I heard it's better than Arcturian. Anyone care to comment on that claim? This may have been discussed already, but I was pretty busy the last month and didn't read the thread here.

May 25, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #19,009 of 29,687
It's maybe more like epic symphonic blackened death metal (and whatever other adjective you want to throw on there). Not particularly what I am after right now, but they don't sound bad. Thanks for the tip. I'll probably buy Undead and Gruesome to satisfy my hankering for new OSDM.

That Arcturus is really great. I had only heard some songs off their weaker albums, so I thought they sucked... Arcturian definitely changed my mind about them. I'll be getting The Sham Mirrors ASAP, as I heard it's better than Arcturian. Anyone care to comment on that claim? This may have been discussed already, but I was pretty busy the last month and didn't read the thread here.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sideshow_Symphonies
Purchased 2005's Sideshow Symphonies as my first album by the band in 05. One of my best sounding metal CDs.

Only album I know of besides this new one? I actually like it better than the new album still.

May 25, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #19,010 of 29,687

Just listen to their discography from beginning to end. I do not consider them to have any weak albums.

May 25, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #19,014 of 29,687

Do you consider Keep of Kalessin to be death metal? I picked up their new release Epistemology the other day. Haven't actually listened to it yet (at least all the way through) so I can't really comment on it, but I got it on the strength of the streaming samples I've heard, and I was a big fan of their last album Reptilian.

Really looking forward to Arcturus' Arcturian myself, the preview stuff I've heard so far has been promising. Paradise Lost has a new album called Plague Within coming out soon too that sounds very death metal-ish.

I've got Keep of Kalessin's 2008 release Kolossus. It's a really good album IMO. But, I'd squarely put their style (on that album) in the black metal school. But, accessible/almost commercial if that's possible and very varied-rock, symphonic, melodeth (maybe the DM association) and prog. Song writing quality is high. It's not a purist cvlt BM release. But, it is good music. I wish I had bought the CD version rather that the MP3....don't make that mistake anymore.

May 25, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #19,015 of 29,687

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sideshow_Symphonies
Purchased 2005's Sideshow Symphonies as my first album by the band in 05. One of my best sounding metal CDs.

Only album I know of besides this new one? I actually like it better than the new album still.

Aren't the volume levels kind of jacked up on sideshow symphonies? Listening to track two right now and it sounds considerably quieter than the first track like I'd read on wiki. I will buy this though, sounds good. Just crank the volume to 11.

May 25, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #19,016 of 29,687
Aren't the volume levels kind of jacked up on sideshow symphonies? Listening to track two right now and it sounds considerably quieter than the first track like I'd read on wiki. I will buy this though, sounds good. Just crank the volume to 11.

I believe there were mastering issues with a few of the tracks that resulted in them being softer than the others.

I really do recommend hearing Arcturus' full discography, in any case. Essential band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back