Lets Talk Metal
May 23, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #18,991 of 29,666

I see. Definitely something to add to the collection eventually. My top priority is to find the most accurate headphones out there, though. The HE1000, HD 800, and SR-009 hold the most interest for me...not that I can exactly afford them at the moment. I've been so disappointed by non-summit-fi headphones (even $500-1,000 models) that I see the TOTL stuff as my only hope. (In the context of finding an ultimate headphone that is the most accurate and sounds great with everything, not counting bad recordings.) A few local Head-Fi'ers and I are organizing a mini-meet, so I might be able to hear the HE1000, Abyss, HD 800, HE-6, and maybe even the SR-009 all in one go soon.

Yeah, impressive from a technical POV but just not my cup of tea sound sig-wise.
Wouldn't bother with the SR-009. Marginally better than the other STAX models, if you ask me. Certainly not worth a couple kilobucks more.
I don't know, man...the TOTL equipment I tried really wasn't super crazy better than mid-tier stuff. If your disappointment with the mid-tier gear was that big, I don't think you will suddenly be the happiest moneybag alive with the TOTL ones.
Anyway, best of luck with your odyssey.

May 23, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #18,993 of 29,666
  Yeah, impressive from a technical POV but just not my cup of tea sound sig-wise.
Wouldn't bother with the SR-009. Marginally better than the other STAX models, if you ask me. Certainly not worth a couple kilobucks more.
I don't know, man...the TOTL equipment I tried really wasn't super crazy better than mid-tier stuff. If your disappointment with the mid-tier gear was that big, I don't think you will suddenly be the happiest moneybag alive with the TOTL ones.
Anyway, best of luck with your odyssey.

I know miceblue actually likes the SR-207 more than the SR-009, but I'll have to hear everything for myself before knowing which I will prefer. Since the SR-207 is so cheap imported from Japan, I can buy that one earlier without having to seek out an audition.

May 23, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #18,994 of 29,666
  I know miceblue actually likes the SR-207 more than the SR-009, but I'll have to hear everything for myself before knowing which I will prefer. Since the SR-207 is so cheap imported from Japan, I can buy that one earlier without having to seek out an audition.

Just buy a used one from someone in the US.

Still my favorite Funeral Doom song.

May 23, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #18,995 of 29,666
  Just buy a used one from someone in the US.

Still my favorite Funeral Doom song.

For under $400* like I can get it brand new from Japan? Not likely. (But just in case, link me to the ones you see for sale.)

*After shipping and buying the necessary voltage transformer or power supply with negative polarity, the total cost would be around $500 -- still far cheaper than the $790 US retail price.

I have that album!

May 24, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #18,996 of 29,666

[rule]Still my favorite Funeral Doom song.

Their three latest on season of mist are stellar albums. I've been on a total funeral kick lately...esoteric, evoken, mournful congregation, corrupted, etc have dominated my playing for the last week. I think it got kicked off after I fell in love with the new Bell Witch, amazing album that is fast becoming a big favorite

May 24, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #18,997 of 29,666

I have been living in Seoul for about a month and I have to say, this place is amazing. Here's a picture of me testing out some Sony MDR-Z7 at the mall. They have most big name brands, and MDR-7520 were only about $170 brand new. If I didn't own a pair already I would have bought them. The Meshuggah shirt obviously makes this post relevant to the metal thread.

May 24, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #18,998 of 29,666
These days i had also listened to brain drill, a very violend technical death metal band... People in this thread might love it...

Heh, I only just posted the track on the Metal-Fi forums a few hours ago. As I've said: I'm not really a fan of Technical Death Metal, but this track is one of the exceptions. Although now that I think of it, I don't remember if that album had any other song that was just as good, so maybe not. Track's still cool, though.

May 24, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #19,000 of 29,666
Anyone know of good death metal out this year? The only things I have been impressed by are Sulphur Aeon and Ad Nauseam (I have Alkaloid... It's aiiight, but not great)? Any old school recommendations?

There have been a lot of massive black metal albums though... Shining, Porta Negra, Akhlys, and my favorite, Arcturus.

May 24, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #19,001 of 29,666
Anyone know of good death metal out this year? The only things I have been impressed by are Sulphur Aeon and Ad Nauseam (I have Alkaloid... It's aiiight, but not great)? Any old school recommendations?

There have been a lot of massive black metal albums though... Shining, Porta Negra, Akhlys, and my favorite, Arcturus.

New Slayer comes out 9-11
Cattle Decapitation 8-7

Heard Morgoth and the new Sylosis that came out?

I just listen to Vader's 2014 release over and over?✌:tone1:

May 24, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #19,003 of 29,666
Pretty slow year for death metal. The last few were great. Can't ask for too much I guess.

Yes, last 4 years were amazing! Maybe it was just a fad like the hula-hoop? .......oh yes It never goes away.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back