Lets Talk Metal
Apr 29, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #18,496 of 29,647
Looks like the Arcturus interstellar cruser will be landing at MDF in Baltimore on May 24th, for any Americans to see.

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #18,498 of 29,647
That's my birthday! ^_^

I was going to get you the Chord Hugo and HD800s but changed my mind and got you a picture of flowers, more special, I think?

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #18,500 of 29,647
  Will do! I did not know they lost their vocalist, he's incredible so that sucks. Saw they are getting some dudes from Indian, who definitely have a similar style and also rule(d?). Could still could make some great music, it just won't quite be the same.

Every time I throw on Death Mask I just stop whatever I'm doing and listen, it rules.

I remain cautiously optimistic since the new vocalist Dylan O'Toole did vocals and lyrics on Negative Birth, which to me is remains one of Death Mask's absolute highlights. Like you said, Dylan and Charlie have really similar styles. LM plans to record a new EP in May, so here's hoping new tracks surface soon.

For those mourning the departure of Charlie and Ken: chin up, get excited: http://www.nocleansinging.com/2015/03/09/prepare-for-the-advent-of-missing-an-interview-with-jeff-wilson/

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #18,501 of 29,647
I remain cautiously optimistic since the new vocalist Dylan O'Toole did vocals and lyrics on Negative Birth, which to me is remains one of Death Mask's absolute highlights. Like you said, Dylan and Charlie have really similar styles. LM plans to record a new EP in May, so here's hoping new tracks surface soon.

For those mourning the departure of Charlie and Ken: chin up, get excited: http://www.nocleansinging.com/2015/03/09/prepare-for-the-advent-of-missing-an-interview-with-jeff-wilson/

It's not Charlie's vocals or writing contributions, it's the catharsis that was brought into the studio...death mask wears me out. I'll continue to be a fan though, the new lineup is insane

And talk about satans supergroup for the 'missing', I'm very much anticipating that one! Thanks for the info

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #18,502 of 29,647
This one is for markm1...a devastating doom record. It's really well produced fuzzed out stoner with crazy riffs. Just picked it up and although I prefer death/doom the clean singing works here

http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/04/22/stream-monolords-vaenir-in-full-the-best-doom-record-of-2015-so-far/

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #18,504 of 29,647
So much metal! Wish I had time to listen to it all.

Who here likes the HD 650 with metal? I will probably buy one very soon.

Yes, I will get a pair of HD650s someday. They are the best headphone there is for the W3. Warm and smooth sounding that you could listen to for hours.

Did I just say warm and smooth to define the sound of headphones?

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #18,505 of 29,647
Yes, I will get a pair of HD650s someday. They are the best headphone there is for the W3. Warm and smooth sounding that you could listen to for hours.

Did I just say warm and smooth to define the sound of headphones?

I plan on just using my Schiit Fulla until I can afford the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil. (But I would only get those after much higher-end headphones.)

Does the warmth and smoothness sound good to you with all genres of metal? I'm assuming it will be less warm and smooth on a solid-state amp, which is fine with me.

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #18,506 of 29,647
I plan on just using my Schiit Fulla until I can afford the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil. (But I would only get those after much higher-end headphones.)

Does the warmth and smoothness sound good to you with all genres of metal? I'm assuming it will be less warm and smooth on a solid-state amp, which is fine with me.

i had my Woo 5 LE at a Head-Fi meet and had the Woo 3 sitting out on a table for sale. This new guy askes to try it, plug the Woo 3 where my 5LE was. The guy comes over with the HD650s and plugs them in. I had never heard the W3 ever sound so good. I then took the sale tag off the Woo3 and decided to keep it.

They are said to be made where the early ones were dark and the new one not much. Don't know how much truth is in that.

They should be good with bright SS. Some here like the HD650s better than anything made.

They maybe don't seem like metal headphones, but they are.

I did not listen to all genres of metal, but I think they would be fine as the stuff I was playing was mixed genre in a way.

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #18,507 of 29,647
I know in about 60 seconds if I'm going to like a headphone. Maybe equipment takes a while, but headphones are easy, I just know what sound I like.

The HD650 has a really big guitar harmonic to it. Soundstage is big plus it is medium fast which works, mind you I was only using the W3, it could be very different with other amps.

In testing gear I always ask myself if I could listen long term and be happy. The mids are the best and metal is all mids anyway.

Apr 29, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #18,508 of 29,647
This one is for markm1...a devastating doom record. It's really well produced fuzzed out stoner with crazy riffs. Just picked it up and although I prefer death/doom the clean singing works here

http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/04/22/stream-monolords-vaenir-in-full-the-best-doom-record-of-2015-so-far/

Thanks brother.  Appreciate the thought. Sounds great. Big massive sound. I will be picking this one up.

Big Lord Mantis fan.

+1 for Perverter-it's more of mixmash of styles . Sorry to hear about the vocalist leaving, but sounds like some good stuff may be coming.

I'm in agreement those two albums were two of the best extreme metal albums in the last few years for me.

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #18,510 of 29,647
It's not Charlie's vocals or writing contributions, it's the catharsis that was brought into the studio...death mask wears me out. I'll continue to be a fan though, the new lineup is insane

And talk about satans supergroup for the 'missing', I'm very much anticipating that one! Thanks for the info

Now I see what you meant by catharsis and whatnot: http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/03/12/exclusive-lord-mantis-ex-frontman-charlie-fell-band-blow/

I saw them live late last year and noticed that something was amiss: Andrew did all the vocals and Charlie looked like he was not having a good time. Back then I thought he had a sore throat or something, hence Andrew on vocal duty, but the Metal Sucks interview would suggest otherwise. I saw LM some months earlier and back then Charlie was a force of nature on stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back