Lets Talk Metal
Apr 30, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #18,511 of 29,646
Best prog metal album in some time. I'm not really a fan of theatrical vocals, but these guys pull it off so well and they have a slightly-off way of doing everything that's really refreshing.

Native Construct

https://nativeconstruct.bandcamp.com

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #18,514 of 29,646
Apr 30, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #18,515 of 29,646

Cool. Thanks. I figured whoever wrote the lyrics to Deathmask had to have some serious issues. Interesting. I still think it's going to go down as a landmark album. At least for me.

Could not agree more regarding its landmark status. Not surprisingly, controversy ensued upon revealing the cover art. Charlie's response to alleged transphobia was quite fascinating (to say the least), especially when he recounted in vivid detail his personal experiences involving LSD and a sexual encounter with a random transgender person as proof that he (and the album art) is anything but transphobic. As you can imagine, further misunderstandings ensued.

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #18,517 of 29,646
Kinda messed up what those guys did to Charlie, though. Seems like he wrote most of it and they just hijacked the band. Can't say I'll be as interested in following Lord Mantis anymore after reading that interview with Charlie. Them breaking up makes total sense after what he did, there's no excuse for that.

But taking the identity of a band you didn't really care about until you realized the record was actually brilliant... what an *******. Also those lyrics and songs seem deeply personal and without the member who wrote most of it in the band, it just comes off as an insincere money grab and nothing more. You're just someone else, essentially covering another bands songs but posing as them. That's how I see it anyway. Band breakups are weird, complicated and usually awful though. Hope it works out for all involved, as long as everyone is still making music, that's good.

In other news, this new Monolord is still just destroying me, I love it.

Aaaand I also got some Dunu Titans yesterday. Sunn o)))) sounds amazing on them!

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #18,518 of 29,646
  New Leprous song : https://prog.teamrock.com/news/2015-04-30/leprous-rewind-in-latest-track

I could never really get into Leprous. Maybe this album will convert me.

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #18,519 of 29,646
  Best prog metal album in some time. I'm not really a fan of theatrical vocals, but these guys pull it off so well and they have a slightly-off way of doing everything that's really refreshing.

Native Construct

https://nativeconstruct.bandcamp.com

Great stuff!
Reminds me a lot of Haken (which I'm going to see live with BTBAM in a couple of months).

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #18,520 of 29,646
  I could never really get into Leprous. Maybe this album will convert me.

I try really hard but i can't get into them at all.  the last two haven't been bad in any way but i don't get it i guess.  i'll probably pick up the new one but i'm not so sure i'll get it either ha ha ha

i have been listening to the new tribulation (children of the night) and i'm really enjoying it, kind of a blackened prog/goth/rock adventure and masterfully sequenced as an album...

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #18,521 of 29,646
  Kinda messed up what those guys did to Charlie, though. Seems like he wrote most of it and they just hijacked the band. Can't say I'll be as interested in following Lord Mantis anymore after reading that interview with Charlie. Them breaking up makes total sense after what he did, there's no excuse for that.

But taking the identity of a band you didn't really care about until you realized the record was actually brilliant... what an *******. Also those lyrics and songs seem deeply personal and without the member who wrote most of it in the band, it just comes off as an insincere money grab and nothing more. You're just someone else, essentially covering another bands songs but posing as them. That's how I see it anyway. Band breakups are weird, complicated and usually awful though. Hope it works out for all involved, as long as everyone is still making music, that's good.

In other news, this new Monolord is still just destroying me, I love it.

Aaaand I also got some Dunu Titans yesterday. Sunn o)))) sounds amazing on them!

I've only made it through three of the Monolord songs and I'm pretty sure it will be in my top five albums of the year. Totally up my alley 
beerchug.gif

I thought the Roger Waters/Gilmore Pink Floyd  break up was bad
tongue_smile.gif

Yeah- it looks like he got shafted. But, he strikes me as one of those fascinating individuals sensitive and bruised. So much great art comes from suffering  and pain.

like a lot of you have said-it's hard to be disturbing but something about the crushing sludge/death/doom and the lyrics was more unnerving that just about anything I've heard in recent memory. He took music for those of us willing to join him in such a dark place. More than just the words-anyone can write about gore and Satan. But the lyrics were written in an almost poetic way to me where the meaning was not completely clear cut-but deeply disturbing. I'm an old actor. I remember being in theater productions that had all the right pieces, but weren't successful. And vice versa-sometimes the synergy is something that can't be explained.

You can't predict elements that come together and make something greater than the sum of its parts. I remember reading the lyrics while listening initially and not getting everything on a literal level but feeling really disturbed like a well written novel.  Like the first read through of The Shining or Salem's Lot...needing to put the book down and go outside to see the sunshine....but knowing I was compelled to come back. I've not had the feeling from many albums.

May 1, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #18,523 of 29,646

Users who are viewing this thread

Back