Let's Create a Head-Fi Best Metal List!
Jul 8, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #76 of 122
I will confess - only started listening to Opeth two years ago, when I started reading the Darkest Desire thread . . . and used Dark Angel's list of Top 50 as reference. I much prefer Opeth's earlier albums.

I started listening to metal in the mid-late 1980s, hence I certain fondness for Iron Maiden and Dio!

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #77 of 122
I'll chip in my bit. The top 10 most listened metal bands in my last.fm are:

1. Opeth
2. Pain of Salvation
3. Gordian Knot
4. Deadsoul Tribe
5. Neuraxis
6. Between the Buried and Me
7. Isis
8. Ulver
9. Dark Tranquillity
10. Arsis

Still a big Opeth fanboy even though I find myself listening to a lot of POS these days. I think they hit their peak at Still Life and have been struggling for consistency since.

Jul 8, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #78 of 122
I have to say if we're talking "best of" or "most influential" my list is going to change, I listed my favorites because I don't necessarily believe it's an objective decision.

Regarding Opeth, I gave them a passing glance when I touched on the gothenburg scene while I was in high school, but really got into them some 5 or 6 years ago.

Venom is fantastic though... I'll check out Psalm 9 at some point. Sorry you're bummed about your list, it's fun to check out. I've got a handful of recommendations I haven't heard as of yet.

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #80 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraegorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here goes nothing:

3. My Dying Bride
10. Paradise Lost

Isn't that timely?
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #82 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraegorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh... listed on order of preference, I'm afraid.

I meant that I had just brought up the names of those two bands a few posts before yours...and voila! They appeared on someone's list. Maybe I'm psychic.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #83 of 122
1. Dio
2. Dio
3. Dio
4. Dio
5. Dio
6. Dio
7. Dio
8. Dio
9. Dio
10. Aqua

Just kidding.

Jul 8, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #84 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Esoteric is a death/drone band, with psychedelic elements.

They're textbook funeral doom, arguably with death elements. No drone whatsoever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamora /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, Alice in Chains isn't a metal band.

Prove it.

...What a ridiculous request. Prove to me that Avril Lavigne isn't a metal artist.

Jul 8, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #85 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK now I see what is bumming out EZ...................

Only two bands from his top 10 list made it to the final top 25 list
frown.gif

Don't worry also not making list were:
-Led Zeplin
-Ozzy

Amazing to see how far Opeth has come, I wonder how many people that voted were actually buying Opeth albums in 1990s when they were making thier great albums (very few).........

As far as I am concerned neither Zep nor Ozzy are metal. Hard rock (Ozzy) and Rock (Zep) but not metal.

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #87 of 122
1. Meshuggah
2. Napalm Death
3. Primordial
4. Nostromo
5. Dolorian
6. Enslaved
7. Iron Monkey
8. Satyricon
9. At The Gates
10. Blut Aus Nord

not comprehensive, but to actually try to do this properly would take hours.

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #88 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're textbook funeral doom, arguably with death elements. No drone whatsoever.

...What a ridiculous request. Prove to me that Avril Lavigne isn't a metal artist.

I don't know what I was thinking that night
tongue.gif

Its funeral doom with death metal elements and a somewhat psychedelic sound.

Jul 9, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #89 of 122
I suppose it's the irony that comes with doom. You're doomed to either love it or hate it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant that I had just brought up the names of those two bands a few posts before yours...and voila! They appeared on someone's list. Maybe I'm psychic.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #90 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, it's been a blast(beat), but I think I'm gonna call it quits. It doesn't look like the top of the list is going to change all that much, and if I type one more list that doesn't contain Hellhammer or Venom, I'm going to go insane. For godsake, we've had 177 bands named, and nobody's put down Venom? What kind of metal fans are you? Clearly, there is not much of a thrash fandom here either:

Exodus
Sodom
Sadus
Destruction

None of these have been mentioned? What?

And by god, how can nobody have listed Possessed? 177 bands and not one of them is Possessed. I have been trying to be patient - but I give up. Come on guys, some serious metal history is being overlooked here.

I like all the thrash bands you named very much, but included none of them in my list, why ? Think about exodus, they released Bonded by blood - awesome, probabily the most influential thrash record ever..and then ? they went into that disgusting groove/half/post-thrash whatever you call it trend like many other great bands did ( testament...anthrax ... not to mention Crapallica which went directly into bottom-of-the-barrel pop music); so in my opinion they do not merit to go into an all time best list...and the purpose of this list is to combine various opinions to obtain data from a statistical point of view ( in other words, this kind of poll is based on the equation : subjective opinion + subj. opinion + lots of subjective opinions = an "objective" one ). If you asked me a best list from a critical, historical point of view i would have no doubt included bands like Exodus, and have left out Likathea for example.

P.s. there's another great thrash band that i'm ashamed not to see in any list : Coroner check them out if you do not know them
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back