Let's Create a Head-Fi Best Metal List!
Jul 9, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #91 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

P.s. there's another great thrash band that i'm ashamed not to see in any list : Coroner check them out if you do not know them
wink.gif

I only have Grin, which is one of their later albums, and pretty much blows from what I remember. Maybe I'll check out their early stuff.

As far as ranking bands, I base my judgement on the band's output at their best. All metal bands eventually turn to crap. Bands like Metallica, Venom, Exodus and Carcass should (in my opinion) be judged on the basis of their best/most influential albums - which were classics - and not so much their later wankier stuff.

Jul 9, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #92 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as ranking bands, I base my judgement on the band's output at their best. All metal bands eventually turn to crap. Bands like Metallica, Venom, Exodus and Carcass should (in my opinion) be judged on the basis of their best/most influential albums - which were classics - and not so much their later wankier stuff.

well put, and i agree with this, but...
i think the more prolific a band is at producing solid albums should definitely overshadow a band with say one or two solid albums of the same quality.

that being said, i put dethklok on my list!?
confused.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #93 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by claymon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the more prolific a band is at producing solid albums should definitely overshadow a band with say one or two solid albums of the same quality.

Key word being "same". I rank a band with one or two "classic" albums over a band with 10 good albums any day. If the rest of you are anything like me, it's the "classic" albums that we tend to keep going back to as time passes, in terms of listening and using as our internal reference bar for assessing the quality of new albums/bands. The "just good" albums tend to be forgotten with time.

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #94 of 122
Coroner is in my list. Exodus isn't in mine because I prefer heathen and coroner.

I don't have possessed, because while they have a legendary release that is very good, it doesn't trounce any of the other death metal bands I listed imo.

Venom is an overrated band in my eyes, and they have never been anything that special.

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #95 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Venom is an overrated band in my eyes, and they have never been anything that special.

Are you saying you don't even like Black Metal?
eek.gif
Believe me, I understand how people's tastes can differ. I never really liked Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, or Motorhead, for that matter. So, who am I to talk?

Aug 3, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #97 of 122
Quote:

Coroner is in my list. Exodus isn't in mine because I prefer heathen and coroner.

I did follow this up and bought Punishment for Decadence. Great innovative thrash album. You were right on the money with the Coroner pick. I would imagine you like the early Voivod albums, too?

Aug 3, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #98 of 122
1. Dream Theater
2. Black Sabbath
3. Dio <---can't believe they aren't on the list
4. Metallica
5. Iron Maiden
6. Megadeath
7. Tool
8. The Sword
9. Slayer
10. Deathklok

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #99 of 122
Quote:

I did follow this up and bought Punishment for Decadence. Great innovative thrash album. You were right on the money with the Coroner pick. I would imagine you like the early Voivod albums, too?

Yessir
icon10.gif

But right now I've been listening to Kroda and Pagan Reign (definitely check them out).

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #102 of 122
Quote:

I also really like Coroner and have the middle 3 albums:
-Punishment for Decadence
-No More Color
-Mental Vortex

They do have a fresh sound with some nice tempo variations and skilled technical playing that set them apart from the hordes of thrash bands out there.
Must give them some love since they are often lost in the mix, we need threads like this to introduce them to new head bangers out there.

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #103 of 122
Quote:

I don't have possessed, because while they have a legendary release that is very good, it doesn't trounce any of the other death metal bands I listed imo.

Venom is forvever famous since Lars of Metallica cites them as an influence for early sound of the band as well as Diamond Head and a couple other groups.......I don't really consider them extreme metal mainly because of weak lead guitar skills, very fun to listen to like the Misfits, Motorhead early Bathory etc.

You are making big mistake not having Posessed - Seven Churches, it is a stone cold classic and essential for any serious metal collection!

Aug 4, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #104 of 122
I've owned that album for a while. It is good, but there are much better releases out there.

Also, I really do not care if they influenced metallica, since they only had one really good release (RTL). Lars Ulrich is also a tool.

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #105 of 122
1. opeth
2. agalloch
3. moonsorrow
4. dark tranquility
5. vintersorg
6. in flames
7. tristania
8. ulver
9. borknagar
10. amorphis

yes, that's slightly skewed toward scandinavia...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back