Let's Create a Head-Fi Best Metal List!
Sep 7, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #106 of 122
Finally picked up two old school classics:

Sabbat - History
Sabbat - Dreamweaver

51FhmrhDe7L._SL160_.jpg
61u3V%2BL5UpL._SL160_.jpg

Very cool stuff, has nice tempo variations with some acoustic and spoken word mixed in with the basic thrash style. I can clearly see a major influence for later Cradle of Filth work, COF has done Sabbat covers and if the Sabbat singer had the same extreme dynamic range of Danni and used more gothic keyboards would sound like early development of COF
redface.gif

Sep 8, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #107 of 122
1. Iron Maiden
2. Judas Priest
3. Black Sabbath
4. Dream Theater
5. Symphony X
6. Queensryche
7. Metallica
8. Megadeth
9. Crimson Glory
10. Death

Sep 8, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #108 of 122
1. Devin Townsend/The Devin Townsend Band (same thing, really)
2. Strapping Young Lad
3. The Meads of Asphodel
4. The Mark of Cain
5. My Dying Bride
6. Taake
7. Solefald
8. Type O Negative
9. Nevermore
10. Celtic Frost

Sep 8, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #109 of 122
1) Pain of Salvation
2) Shadow Gallery
3) Pictorial Wand(Prog Rock, but deserved a mention)
4) Symphony X
5) Dream Theater
6) Circus Maximus
7) Liquid Tension Experiment
8) Iced Earth
9) Mastodon
10) Seventh Wonder

Progressive Metal love.

Sep 8, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #112 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, it's been a blast(beat), but I think I'm gonna call it quits. It doesn't look like the top of the list is going to change all that much, and if I type one more list that doesn't contain Hellhammer or Venom, I'm going to go insane. For godsake, we've had 177 bands named, and nobody's put down Venom? What kind of metal fans are you? Clearly, there is not much of a thrash fandom here either:

Exodus
Sodom
Sadus
Destruction

None of these have been mentioned? What?

And by god, how can nobody have listed Possessed? 177 bands and not one of them is Possessed. I have been trying to be patient - but I give up. Come on guys, some serious metal history is being overlooked here.

Just to reiterate, I stopped keeping track a few months ago.

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #113 of 122
Eh, Venom are really nothing more than a curio in the pages of Metal history.

Were they incredibly influential? Undoubtedly.

However, taken on their own they're really not the greatest band.

Chronos does however have an amazing voice.

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #117 of 122
I'm going to get flamed to heck and back for a couple of these I'm sure, but screw you this is what I listen to!

1. Sabbath
2. SOAD
3. Metallica
4. Demons & Wizards
5. In Extremo
6. Zao
7. Motorhead
8. DragonForce
9. Maiden
10. InFlames

Sep 9, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #118 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My point still stands. There's not 177 metal bands better than Venom.

What about those of us who just enjoy listening to guys wail on guitars for a bit and then move on to other music? I've been listening to rock and metal for a couple decades now and I've never heard of Venom. Perhaps I'm ignorant, but then again I'm likely ignorant in every single genre of music. When you make a poll like this, you're going to get mostly people for whom a genre is simply a part of their musical experience.

Most people don't focus on a particular genre enough to learn the history and intricacies of it. You have, and that's awesome. For me? I've got over 1000 artists in my music collection and am an avid listener of Metal, Classical and most of the stuff in between there. You can get angry that people don't know who some of your favourite bands are, but that doesn't really solve anything. There are lots of metal fans in the thread, why not say something like "Hey guys, I notice nobody has picked these bands. They weren't really big so you may not have heard of them, but they were early and influential. Here is a couple artists and albums that you should listen to." That would go much further for the education of us metal ignoramuses.

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #119 of 122
I know there's no one keeping track but, hell, here it goes anyway:

1. In the Woods
2. Nevermore
3. Venom
4. Primordial
5. Slayer
6. Emperor
7. Morbid Angel
8. Cynic
9. Sun of the Sleepless
10. Edge of Sanity

Although this is in no way written in stone. Moods change, I have old-school thrash weeks, sometimes technical death, black metal, whatever...

Sep 11, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #120 of 122
Yay, Venom's been listed. The thread may continue!
rolleyes.gif

Sound advice from RedLeader. There's too much arrogance and hostility in the metal threads here. Sure, it's frustrating when people who listen to fringe metal come and say "AC/DC are the best metal band ever!", but it works both ways.
People who don't know metal well (and confuse other genres for metal) should realise they're among company that knows metal much better than they do. And people who've spent the last 8 years listening to every metal band from the 70's to now shouldn't be so arrogant as to put the newbies on the defensive straight away.

That said, newbies entering a thread where serious metalheads are discussing should do some listening before talking.

Metal seems to be the fanboy genre atm and everyone wants to call himself a metalhead these days, regardless of what he actually listens to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back