3) Death
4) Iron maiden
5) Nile
6) Iced earth
7) Dio
8) Helloween
9) Lykathea aflame
10) Dream theater

Pretty strange i'm including in an all-time best list a band that wrote only one album, but Likathea's Elvenfris was so mindblowingly good...

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #62 of 122
1] NIGHTWISH

then

2] DREAMQUEST
3] WITHIN TEMPTATION

the rest...

4] IN FLAMES
5] ARCH ENEMY
6] XANDRIA
7] VISIONS OF ATLANTIS
8] DARK TRANQUILITY

i have yet too hear any more that i can put in a top 10

only been listening 4 months or so

btw nightwish are about 100x better than 4-8 and 10x better than 2-3

Jul 7, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #63 of 122
I think its kind of BS that Rosetta scored as a high as it does. I'm a big fan and I know Rosetta is FOTM right now, but considering that they have one okay album and once excellent and the fact that they are essentially disciples of Neurisis and owe pretty much everything stylistically to those two bands, there is no way Rosetta should be outscoring either of them. IMO.

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #67 of 122
1. Arcturus
2. Death
3. Opeth
4. Bathory
5. Unexpect
6. Blind Guardian
7. Tristania
8. Theatre of Tragedy
9. Draconian
10. Manowar

I would give Arcturus more points if I could. And I just had to add Manowar to the list. I've spent too many hours "with them" to ignore them
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #69 of 122
Guys, it's been a blast(beat), but I think I'm gonna call it quits. It doesn't look like the top of the list is going to change all that much, and if I type one more list that doesn't contain Hellhammer or Venom, I'm going to go insane. For godsake, we've had 177 bands named, and nobody's put down Venom? What kind of metal fans are you? Clearly, there is not much of a thrash fandom here either:

Exodus
Sodom
Sadus
Destruction

None of these have been mentioned? What?

And by god, how can nobody have listed Possessed? 177 bands and not one of them is Possessed. I have been trying to be patient - but I give up. Come on guys, some serious metal history is being overlooked here.

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #70 of 122
Sorry we let ya down dude........I would have used a couple of those bands in top 10 if you would have asked for:

10 most influential dark metal groups from historical perspective

But you asked for 10 best metal groups which is wide open to any style and any time period

A couple of those names in final top 25 list are surprising to me

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #71 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
10 most influential dark metal groups from historical perspective

It's not just about history or influence. Venom's Black Metal holds its own against any metal album from the last 25 years. Anyway, this is a democracy, so I can't blame anyone. I think this whole exercise further demonstrates how impossible a task it is to get metal heads to agree on any kind of list. Even the most rational way of going about it seems to fail miserably.

I mean if Carcass and Neurosis are not on the Top 25 of metal bands, isn't something wrong? Am I crazy?

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #72 of 122
i want to play...

1. Iron Maiden
2. Black Sabbath
3. Metallica
4. Meshuggah
5. Mastodon
6. Slayer
7. Megadeth
8. Judas Priest
9. The Darkness
smily_headphones1.gif

10. Dethklok >)

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #74 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean if Carcass and Neurosis are not on the Top 25 of metal bands, isn't something wrong? Am I crazy?

OK now I see what is bumming out EZ...................

Only two bands from his top 10 list made it to the final top 25 list
frown.gif

Don't worry also not making list were:
-Led Zeplin
-Ozzy

Amazing to see how far Opeth has come, I wonder how many people that voted were actually buying Opeth albums in 1990s when they were making thier great albums (very few).........

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #75 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Amazing to see how far Opeth has come, I wonder how many people that voted were actually buying Opeth albums in 1990s when they were making thier great albums (very few).........

Clearly, this must be the case. Otherwise, there would be more votes for Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride - two of my favorite bands from the early nineties that were doing this dark "melodic" stuff at the beginning of the genre (IMHO).

Oh, another metal band that is completely overlooked these days but was immensely influential: Trouble. Does anyone else here own Psalm 9 besides me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back