Let's build Krmathis a Beta22!
Jul 17, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #91 of 590
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it would have to be a free raffle to select the "winner".
If not a charitable contribution becomes a pseudo business and I am pretty sure the staff here would have a problem with that.
And I think "The build pool" would have to be a per project kind of thing or we start treading across that same ground.
If there are funds left after the project is completed and shipped I believe they should be donated to the forum but that is just my opinion as a semi interested party.

The voice of reason, sounds good. I like the idea. Hope my name comes up for something with tubes.
cool.gif
I'm up for it, love to see the community chipping in a little bit to make somebody very happy.
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #92 of 590
Alternative for left over money, and/or selecting future builds.....

I've seen a couple of times where respected, long-term members have come upon tough times and had to sell a lot of their gear. Even a simple Alien DAC and Millett Starving Student might help them get through their problems a little easier.

Jul 17, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #93 of 590
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there is interest in group-builds after this one, we could certainly do it again. I suggest that we do some kind of raffle to determine the recipient of the amp, so anyone could have a chance.

I'd throw a 'me too' vote in for that idea.

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #94 of 590
With just a whisper of effort on the part of individual members of the DIY community, our combined effort is that of an 800lb gorilla on steroids. We have to use this power carefully. :wink: Edit: I might add thank you Jude for your original contribution that made this forum possible.

I am going to start listing parts that have been contributed, even though it's too early to have received them yet, on the first post. I will start from earliest to latest, and remember it's a tool to try and eliminate unnecessary duplication.

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #96 of 590
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If we choose to do a raffle about next build, the participants should be those who have contributed to the previous build. That encourages more people to participate.

Good idea.

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #97 of 590
Quote:

If we choose to do a raffle about next build, the participants should be those who have contributed to the previous build. That encourages more people to participate.

Of course, that wouldn't be the primary reason to contribute (as evidenced by this initiative already), but it would help to keep things rolling along.

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #98 of 590
Quote:

I suggest that we do some kind of raffle to determine the recipient of the amp, so anyone could have a chance.

ANYONE!

Guys the idea of the raffle is it's a random way to select the recipient.
As soon the participants of the raffle are determined by preference or excluded by prejudice (however you look at it) the recipient is longer a random selection.
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #99 of 590
How about the excess goes to charity? Perhaps selected by krmathis?

Any future builds could then be undertaken on an individual bases, perhaps kept as special events?

This is a fantastic and very enjoyable endeavour, it would be a shame to make it routine.

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #100 of 590
Quote:

Quote:

ANYONE!

Guys the idea of the raffle is it's a random way to select the recipient.
As soon the participants of the raffle are determined by preference or excluded by prejudice (however you look at it) the recipient is longer a random selection.
wink.gif

You could argue that those who have contributed to this build have already bought themselves a ticket to the next round. Anyone else who wants to be in the running can make a contribution to the next pool - by buying a ticket. Isn't the need to buy a ticket exclusionary?

If this were to get up an running, then I would propose that any unused funds remain in the pool for the following round.

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #101 of 590
Quote:

Totally disagree with this...

I can't speak for others that have freely donated to this endevour, but I didn't do it for any such purpose (getting raffle tickets for myself that is). I believed that it was worthwhile and a way to give something back into this community. The DIY forumn is and should be about sharing.

Quote:

No, it would have to be a free raffle to select the "winner".
If not a charitable contribution becomes a pseudo business and I am pretty sure the staff here would have a problem with that.
And I think "The build pool" would have to be a per project kind of thing or we start treading across that same ground.
If there are funds left after the project is completed and shipped I believe they should be donated to the forum but that is just my opinion as a semi interested party.

I do agree with MisterX. If this is done on a more regular basis in the future it should be done via a raffle to allow many others participate. I would hope that the individuals queing up for the raffle are those that need a helping hand because they cannot afford the costs. There are a lot of students (HS & College) participating on this forum who certainly can't afford the kind of toys others are collecting.

Additionally though, I don't see anything wrong with another member doing the same as amphead did in starting a thread to suggest a donated build be offered to a specific individual. After all, someone may be aware of another member who may have lost all in a fire or flood that cannot be replaced. That might be a tremendous gesture on the communities part to reach out a helping hand. I believe I would certainly be willing to help out!

Donations were also given with the understanding that they are for a specific purpose - the krmathis build. If there is anything left in the pool (after defraying all expenses) they should be donated to the forum. Only other alternative would be to return the remainder to those that donated which would be a ridiculous nightmare for amb.

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #102 of 590
Quote:

Originally Posted by 04BluMach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally disagree with this...

I can't speak for others that have freely donated to this endevour, but I didn't do it for any such purpose (getting raffle tickets for myself that is). I believed that it was worthwhile and a way to give something back into this community. The DIY forumn is and should be about sharing.

Given that the concept of a raffle has only come up in the last few pages, it is probably safe to assume that we all freely donated with no expectation of a tangible return.

Perhaps it would be best to get this thread back on topic; a beta22 for krmathis.

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #103 of 590
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Perhaps it would be best to get this thread back on topic; a beta22 for krmathis.

Now that sounds like a great idea
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #104 of 590
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, Everyone seems more concerned about the next amp, Let's get this one started first.

Jul 17, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #105 of 590
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, Everyone seems more concerned about the next amp, Let's get this one started first.

X2000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back