Lehmann black cube Linear
Aug 12, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #17 of 95
I am also using a BCL as my main listening amp with an HD600 and Cardas cables (my source is a Linn Ikemi but I will be upgrading to a Resolution Audio Opus 21). I am very pleased with this setup, and now prefer it to electrostatic rigs (many previously owned) and the K1000.

Aug 20, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #18 of 95
Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
Anyone know what source would synergize well with the hd650 and bcl?

just try any good quality source. Should do.

Kind regards from Cologne

Norbert

Aug 21, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #19 of 95
I have a weird question: how heavy is the amp (i'm currently having a problem with my meier moving around whenever i plug and unplug different headphones-which is bad for my interconnects).

Aug 21, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #20 of 95
Aug 21, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #21 of 95
I would estimate that it weighs between 3-5 lbs., but it is very sturdy and solid. It has rubber feet on the bottom that keep it from sliding. I particularly like the narrow footprint that fits perfectly in the limited space that I have available.

Aug 21, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #22 of 95
UHF Magazine had a review of three headphone amps in a recent issue

They liked the CEC HD35R V8 the best, followed closely by the DAC1 followed by the BCL.

Aug 21, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #23 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
UHF Magazine had a review of three headphone amps in a recent issue

They liked the CEC HD35R V8 the best, followed closely by the DAC1 followed by the BCL.

I can't find it... did they review them as dacs or amps?

Aug 21, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #24 of 95
I've heard the CEC HD53R and the headphone output of a Benchmark DAC1. With the Benchmark as source in each case, there is no way either is better than the Lehmann BCL using the AKG K701 or Sennheiser HD650. I also have a Lavry DA10, and its headphone out is nowhere near the Lehmann.

The Lehmann BCL is a very revealing amp. I think it is more neutral than the AT-HA5000 or RSA Raptor and imposes less of its own sonic signature. Source differences are more apparent.

Aug 21, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #25 of 95
any criticisms you owners might have of the amp?

Aug 21, 2006 at 10:43 AM Post #26 of 95
Some of my personal critique of the Lehmann BCL:

- Needs a high quality source

- Revealing with lower-quality tracks (can also be a positive with a quality source and better recordings)

- Less suitable for Audio-Technica or Grado headphones, more suitable for Sennheiser/AKG/Beyerdynamic

- Using two headphones at the same time affects sound slightly

- Requires suitable power cord

- Loses to the AT-HA5000, RSA Raptor in some specific areas; differences are not large, though, and depends on the headphones being used

Some of what I especially like:

- Black background

- Revealing with a quality source (also can be a negative with some recordings)

- Excellent sound with HD650/K701/DT880 and good source

- Beats the AT-HA5000, RSA Raptor in some specific areas; differences are not large, though, and depends on the headphones being used

- Good-sized and smooth volume knob

- Preamp functionality

- Gain switches

- Form factor, appearance, materials quality

- Value

Aug 21, 2006 at 11:48 AM Post #27 of 95
I don't own one, but I had one on trial for some time.
Not to say anything bad about the SQ of the BCL, but I didn't like it and didn't keep it.
For me it had three disqualifying properties:
- Rather disappointing dynamics. It sounds very polite and far away. It does not give me the feeling I am realy there. I contributed it to rather poor dynamics (I may be wrong, but that is what I thought to be the cause).
- It does wonderful with Senn (HD650) but less so with other brands. Specifically my ATHs (W100) and Victor DX1000 did not do well with it. They sounded rather flat and uninvolving.
- It did not have the ability to drive my (headphile) K340 to even a remotely acceptable level.

I am not trying to put this amp down, because I acknowledge it can be a truly very fine amp with phones that match it.
I just don't think it will be everybodies friend...

Aug 21, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #28 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
I can't find it... did they review them as dacs or amps?

They reviewed them as headphone amps only, and as a separate DAC (Benchmark, which they thought was excellent) in a previous issue. I'm only going on what I read in the printed issue at the bookstore. You can't see the review online unless you pay a few bucks for a download copy of issue 76 or buy the newstand copy. They also said the DAC1 as a headphone amp was more analytical, which confirms what I've heard before. I believe what they say generally as they are really frank about their listening reviews.

They only tried a Koss Pro and Goldring headphone with it, so I guess you could take their reviews with a grain of salt, but I believe their ranking based on their equipment. I think they mentioned one flaw of the BCL is that it put the instruments too ahead of the performers....crowed them out so to speak.

Aug 22, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #29 of 95
does the "polite and far away" sound happen with the HD650 or other cans as well?

how's the amp's soundstage?

Aug 22, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #30 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
does the "polite and far away" sound happen with the HD650 or other cans as well?

how's the amp's soundstage?

"Polite and far away" is something that matches the sound signature of the HD650. It fits the laid back sound of the senns. It is something you (I) expect when listening to these phones. It also makes the senns sound a bit more clear (less soggy some might say), which is a good thing. It takes away something of the liveliness and forwardness of the sound signature of ATHs though (and I guess it would do that with Grados too, but I did not test those). The midrange did not "bloom" any more the way I was used to.

As I remember, the soundstage is very good, especially with the senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back