Lehmann black cube Linear
Aug 9, 2006 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 95

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi... In my search for something that sings with the HD650, i came accross this amplifier. Yet, i can't find any recent reviews or hype about this particular amp. So my question is, how does it compare to something like a modern Headroom desktop or a GS-1?

(i have a pretty good dac, so i don't care about the various dac options)
orphsmile.gif

Thanks
eggosmile.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 95
Anyone?

Aug 10, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 95
thanks... anyone currently using this amp?

Aug 10, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 95
I just bought one, have had it about a month, and I'm loving it. Using it with HD650's and an Emu 1212m for a source. I do not have much experience, as this is just my second amp, but it sounds fantastic to me! I am very pleased with my choice.

From what I had read, this is a very neutral and detailed amp, and matches extreemly well with the HD650s: something that appealed to me. The Headroom Desktop, and the GS1, were both on my short list as well. They are certainly more popular, but I think the BCL is a great value.

Aug 10, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 95
I have a Lehmann Black Cube Linear for a while and it is still my favorite amp amongst my collection. Very accurate, detailed and smooth. One of the best solid state headamps in the market in my opinion.

Very good synergy with HD650. Drives K701 very well too. Highly recommended.

Aug 10, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 95
I loved the BC linear as a soldid state amp - clean, neutral, good imaging, detailed, great transient attack and dynamics, strong and well defined bass.

No opamps and zero total negative feedback in the output circuitry with a well designed power supply.

Aug 10, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #8 of 95
I've used a Lehmann Black Cube Linear for more than a year.

Compared to the RSA Raptor, AT-HA5000 or Dared MP-5, it is the most like a "wire with gain." It is more transparent than the other three amps and source differences are more apparent.

I also think it is excellent with the HD650 and K701. It can function as a preamp. It is a very impressive amp and I don't think I'll ever sell it.

Here's the Lehmann BCL in battle against the Corda HA-1 MkII. The Lehmann wins easily.

(click thumbnails to view)

Versus the RSA Raptor and AT-HA5000, the BCL wins some and loses some. It holds its own overall and earns the respect of the two more expensive amps.

Aug 10, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #9 of 95
Good grief.. i just realized this thing has 1/8th outputs... i could sense cable grief.....

Good, the neutrality is something that would be very appreciated. Do they sell a USB and a non USB version, or just one type now?

Aug 10, 2006 at 7:15 AM Post #11 of 95
sorry, must have not looked closely enough... the outputs eemed so small...
k1000smile.gif

any info on the size of the amp's soundstage? air and such?

Aug 10, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #12 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
Do they sell a USB and a non USB version, or just one type now?

USB version should be released in September. I'm waiting for that one also.

Aug 10, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #13 of 95
There's something about the Lehmann BCL's headphone outputs that feel very high quality. When you plug in a 6.3mm plug, it almost feels as if there is suction force from the output socket which "pulls" the plug in. The output sockets grip the plug the tightest of any amp I've experienced. Higher force is necessary to pull a plug out of the Lehmann BCL.

OK, I realize this may sound weird to some people. Until you've plugged and unplugged a headphone plug from the Lehmann BCL, you might not know what I mean.

Aug 10, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #14 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
There's something about the Lehmann BCL's headphone outputs that feel very high quality. When you plug in a 6.3mm plug, it almost feels as if there is suction force from the output socket which "pulls" the plug in. The output sockets grip the plug the tightest of any amp I've experienced. Higher force is necessary to pull a plug out of the Lehmann BCL.

OK, I realize this may sound weird to some people. Until you've plugged and unplugged a headphone plug from the Lehmann BCL, you might not know what I mean.

That sounds a bit like I recall the Grace 901 being.

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #15 of 95
good to know that i'll eat my RCA cables...
orphsmile.gif

bump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back