Lehmann Audio Black Cube + Grado PS1000?
Jun 3, 2009 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gooner26

New Head-Fier
i am attempting to build a high end headphone based system based around the Linn Sneaky DS. the combination i have in mind is the Lehmann audio black cube partnered with the new grado ps1000's? would they compliment each other well do you think? thanks for your time

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi,
The Lehmann BCL is from my point of view an absolutely stunning amp, provided you like its sound signature. Yes, the lehmann has a sound signature (which is a part of his charm), which is to be slightly on the cool side of neutral. Contrary to what a lot of people think, it is not bright (meaning too much treble), but it is clear (meaning there is more upper medium energy than other amps). It is also very dynamic, accurate and sharp, and at the same time very smooth (it is the only amp I know that manages to combine the two so well).

To sum up:

+ very controlled on everything (bass is deep, never bloated, and articulate)
+ smooth
+ dynamic
++ great resolution
++ holographic soundstage and pin-point precise imaging

- has a sound signature: clear, and on the cool side
- the sound is never bigger-than-life : too much finesse sometimes, you could say
- you may want more bass and treble volume.

Now, the ideal thing would be to listen by yourself, but the headphone amp market is so confidential...

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 6
No, the lehmann is significantly better.
Still, the Graham Slee Solo is different. I would discribe it as fast, dynamic (very), powerful. It is slightly on the warm side, but a little sibilant as well.

But it cannot be compared to the black cube in terms of imaging, density, and control through the whole spectrum. But some might prefer the warmer presentation of the Solo.

Aug 26, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 6
PS1000+ BCL is a nice combo.
I prefer BCL to Earmax SE when paring with PS1000.Maybe PS1000 is better with solid stage amp.
PS1000 and Earmax SE combo is kind of too bassy for my taste but it's not bad at all.

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Hi,
The Lehmann BCL is from my point of view an absolutely stunning amp, provided you like its sound signature. Yes, the lehmann has a sound signature (which is a part of his charm), which is to be slightly on the cool side of neutral. Contrary to what a lot of people think, it is not bright (meaning too much treble), but it is clear (meaning there is more upper medium energy than other amps). It is also very dynamic, accurate and sharp, and at the same time very smooth (it is the only amp I know that manages to combine the two so well).

To sum up:

+ very controlled on everything (bass is deep, never bloated, and articulate)
+ smooth
+ dynamic
++ great resolution
++ holographic soundstage and pin-point precise imaging

- has a sound signature: clear, and on the cool side
- the sound is never bigger-than-life : too much finesse sometimes, you could say
- you may want more bass and treble volume.

Now, the ideal thing would be to listen by yourself, but the headphone amp market is so confidential...

What other solid state amps have you compared the BCL to?  I was always under the impression it was "wire with gain" - I've always enjoyed my one though - I though it was neutral when comparing to all my other tube and hybrid amps.  I've enjoyed it more so when owning the D7000 and more again with the LCD2 - it has a tube like smoothness to the upper mids, a clear and precise treble, with an iron grip in of the bass... I'd say centre mids and lower mids were not as prominent as pure tube amps, with the Cayin tube amp exhibiting greater subbass levels and impact, but without the control of the BCL.  With the LCD2 I was quite startled at how good the BCL was indeed.  Never did appreciate it as much with mid-level cans, where the preferences were with tube amps....but why would you want more treble than the BCL already gives? and more bass would be an extra coloration, no?  I like it the way it is exactly, as it told me everything about each of my cans.

I wish I had another solid state headamp to compare with, I only have a entry Yamaha head-out for solid state comparos, but thats just silly, the BCL is 5 steps ahead in that game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back