Legally Downloadable Binaural recordings links
Mar 7, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #31 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OH DAM!!! Jude, please oh please sticky this one!!

Gradoheads... you guys gotta demo some of these tracks. RS1 with HUGE soundstage!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif

Whoa! It looks like you did it, Kramer!

Cool! I'll keep on adding them as they come around (or I make them!) That sure makes me one happy camper!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Mar 7, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #33 of 269
First time I've heard this kind of recording.. Very cool indeed.. Sounds so natural.

Do many CDs come in binaural recording?

Mar 7, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #36 of 269
This is very lovely dinner for your ears!!!! Thanx Ter for adding your stuff here. Keep up the good work!!!
2 words for this thread: Absolutely stunning-wonderful!!! Maybe 3 then
tongue.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #37 of 269
To be revised.

Mar 9, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #38 of 269
I just heard the recording you made yourself, Terry and I must say that I was amazed by the quality of them. They are among the best "outside recordings" I have ever heard. ( and I have heard a lot of them)

You must have really liked the plane ( or car?) passing by at track 5. Whether it did not belong to the song it does have a really nice effect when recorded binaurally.
smily_headphones1.gif

You did a great job there!

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #39 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just heard the recording you made yourself, Terry and I must say that I was amazed by the quality of them. They are among the best "outside recordings" I have ever heard. ( and I have heard a lot of them)

You must have really liked the plane ( or car?) passing by at track 5. Whether it did not belong to the song it does have a really nice effect when recorded binaurally.
smily_headphones1.gif

You did a great job there!

Thanks!

We just felt that a)that take had the best power to her voice and b) the jet "fit" kinda as an allegory for the king's spirit going into the spirit plane (as in the lyric...) but really, we just thought it was cool timing and thought it was kinda funny showing up when it did! Sounds really cool, too!

The success of those tracks was all about mic placement! That is the only controlling factor we utilized there. Some engineer friends feel mic placement is all you need to know in a recording studio, and that all the other equipment is superfluous if you get the mic's right. I like taking on that challenge whenever I can!

More tracks coming over the next couple months!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #40 of 269
Great to see that this thread have became a sticky one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #41 of 269
Just added some more DSM mic recordings made with the same equipment as the mountain dulcimer recordings, but in a totally different setting! They are large files, but if you are a fan of ambiance, the wait for the download is worth it for the lovely reverb tails! Find them as usual, over at the bottom of post #1.

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Mar 13, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #42 of 269
Sweet terry!!!
When you close your eyes it is as if you are really there. These are true funrecordings. Nice to hear the people talking and the trafficnoise on the background. The flute seems quite far away compared to the drums and the voices seem to be more closer to you and the flute than the recordingmics.
Gives a spacier sound to it. I have to say; these cans are the ultimate for this sort of recordings!!! (IMO)
Thanx for adding them here!

Mar 13, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #43 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet terry!!!
When you close your eyes it is as if you are really there. These are true funrecordings. Nice to hear the people talking and the trafficnoise on the background. The flute seems quite far away compared to the drums and the voices seem to be more closer to you and the flute than the recordingmics.
Gives a spacier sound to it. I have to say; these cans are the ultimate for this sort of recordings!!! (IMO)
Thanx for adding them here!

Yes, that is the idea behind these, to create that "you are on the street listening" kind of thing, keeping the "unplugged" dynamics differences of the flute and the percussion and the rest all the way it really sounds.

Sorry about the indexes being off - I used one of the original "working" CDs to grab the mp3's from - but they will run together just fine downloaded to an iPod or computer. I'll fix those so they all start in the right places again later on! Anyway, fun is the key word! This is a fun sequence to loop in the background every now and again. You'll be dancing or tapping your foot all of a sudden if you do! And then you'll actually be there!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Mar 14, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #44 of 269
Very nice recordings again. Makes me want to pick up a djembe and play along.

Now, I had a question about these recordings: How can you make sounds sound like they are coming from a certain direction?

I spefically mean the front and the back. The left and right are pretty obvious, but the front and back are a different story.

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #45 of 269
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice recordings again. Makes me want to pick up a djembe and play along.

Now, I had a question about these recordings: How can you make sounds sound like they are coming from a certain direction?

I spefically mean the front and the back. The left and right are pretty obvious, but the front and back are a different story.

The Sonic Studios DSM ([size=x-small][size=x-small]Dimensional Stereo-surround Microphones) [/size][/size]mics I'm using in my recordings (and used on the "Quiet American" series and for all the Sonic Studios' demos) are omni-directional and are worn hanging from a pair of glasses-stems in these recordings just in front of the ears, so that they pick up the air-bound directional phase changes from reflections, reverberations, wind currents, nodal resonance and cancellations, etc. and the head and body's own absorption and reflection alterations made to the sound hitting us and being reflected (or not) into our ears (direction awareness coming from nodal phase cancellations and reinforcements coming from the reflections, and awareness of the lack of thereof from the absorptions) - all these affecting the sounds as they are coming in towards us from different directions, changing the way the sound would sound if heard up close without these alterations figuring in.

If heard as a continuum, say, like one can hear clearly in the shaking matches recording or the rustling paper one, you can clearly hear the "filter-sweep" effect as the sound changes position. We use these cues subconsciously to cue directionality information(s) to ourselves. The relative changes to the ones heard previously help us determine the moving direction of sounds coming from a moving source.

The Pinnea (the "outer ear" folds) interact at specific frequency notches for a quantized directionality sensitivity (that is, to help make it more obviously noticeable to our ears these otherwise subtle changes) creating specific "high-level warning" spots of focus so we hear the oncoming direction of attackers, predators and surround sound! For the sounds that sound like they are coming from behind us, I'd say the Pinnea is having the most pronounced effect on telling us about the phase info of those sounds and what direction they are coming from! The reflections off of our shoulders into the Pinnea would be the primary creators of that special phase information. These omni mics pick up that phase info directly - the Pinnea affect the notch filtering when you listen later on through your headphones, especially if the Pinnea is involved in the headphone's design like it is with Ultrasones, AKG K1000 "Speakerphones" and some other angled driver headsets.

I hope that points you in the right direction of understanding this! Especially the sounds from behind! Phase-altered (some might say phase-filtered) sound! Pretty wild, eh?

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back