Left speaker in my Ether C volume keeps dropping, need help
Jun 30, 2022 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

symphy

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a pair of Dan Clark Ether C that I absolutely love. I saved up along time to afford them. They have been my daily driver headphones, I have been using them for 4 years now.

A few months ago I noticed the volume on the left speaker started fading down and staying a touch lower then the right speaker at random times. The headphones can work fine for a whole day, then the next it happens all the time. The problem has become frequent over time, happening every time I use them now.

It usually goes away when I unplug them and wait a few seconds before plugging them back in. I thought it might be my amp, but switching to a different one or a completely different source device it still happens.

I then thought it could be the cable, so I tried different ones, and it still happened. I can even swap the left and right connector on the headset and the problem stays on the left speaker.

I reached out to Dan Clark audio, and they can't help me since the headphones are too old(They are the one off FIFA edition).

I am good at repairing electronics and want to try to repair them myself, since else they are just a 1000$ paper weight.
I would think that there is a wire problem inside with the connector or the speaker.

My question now is if anyone here has experience opening the carbon fiber cup on the Ether C headphones?
I have tried opening them and they seem to be glued on.
I've tried loosening the glue with a hot air soldering gun, set to a safe temperature without any luck.
Dan Clark support told me they can't be opened without destroying them, but I want to try my luck anyway, since they are already broken.

Any help or tips are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Jun 30, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 10
Did you ask Dan Clark if he could fix them ?

Jun 30, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 10
^

It's one thing to be told that there would be a cost to repair a 4 year old headphone, but another to be told that there is no help available. They made the headphone and sold it to you, it would be nice to have them attempt to help.

Jul 1, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 10
I Was told to buy new headphones...
Here is the email I got:
I have bad news. We will not be able to repair these headphones. The FIFA was a one off for gaming and we do not have the parts to do any replacements.

The good news is you are a ClubDCA member and can enjoy a 15% discount on any new headphones! Plus Andy just authorized another 10% off on an Ether C Flow.

Let me know if you want to take advantage of this. It would be a brand new Ether C Flow for $1349.25.

Stay healthy and safe!

Best Regards,

Sue Regan
Sales and Operations Mgr
Office-619.501.6313
Cell-707.320.8220
sue@danclarkaudio.com

Jul 1, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 10
bought in norway?
4 years and not possible to repair? no good....

Jul 1, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #7 of 10
:unamused:

Jul 21, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 10
I was told my MrSpeakers Alpha Prime's cannot be repaired either as they are too old. Understandable that they are old, but I figured fixing wiring inside should be doable regardless of whether drivers and such are made still or not.

Both my Prime's and Aeon2 have a left-side volume issue just like the OP. I guess I will be attempting to open up the Alpha Prime and see what I can do about repairing it myself and if it turns out to be easy ill post what I did. I seem to see a lot of people on the internet with a left-side volume issue on all models of MrSpeakers/Dan Clark Audio headphones. The only constant over the past 8 years and all speaker models seems to be the input connector staying the same. COuld it be something to do with how that connector gets soldered?

Anyway, for the OP, I would suggest trying to unscrew the driver from the earcup and seeing how much of the parts you can remove out of the cup that way. This may give you enough access to get inside and do your repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back