Left Grado driver squeaking?
Jun 24, 2010 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Dar_T

100+ Head-Fier
So my left driver started to squeak a little when playing. Its kind of hard to explain the sound exactly. Possible fix or reason? Also on that note, I found they're lacking bass and have a lot of treble/highs. What EQ setting should I be using?

Jun 24, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 7
Jumbo pads give Grados a very different sound.  They were invented to deal with complaints, many of them from Grado haters, regarding comfort and soundstage.  The jumbos take the pressure off your ears and place it on the sides of your head.  They also widen the dispersion field and increase the ear/driver distance.  Invented specifically for the GS1000, they have the effect of radically shifting the tonal balance.  Suddenly, you'll have HF extension through roof.  Unfortunately, you'll also suffer a dramatic loss of bass.

With a warm amp - or one with variable bass boost - you can compensate for the bass drop and get the best of both worlds.  That's what things were like for me with the GS1000, though I still missed the mids.  The PS1000 brings back the mids and I use jumbos when running off my M^3.  When I'm flying solo, however, I drop to bowls, which are more spacious than flats, but which shift the tonal balance back when I'm driving off an iPod.  With all of my Grados, an iPod and bowls are a great match, but with my PS1000, it's stellar.

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 7
I'll open them up and clean them out. :) Thanks. Also I'm using a starving student as my amp. TBH after just getting reaquainted  with the grado sound I'm all smiles now. Cheers

Jun 25, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 7
If, by opening them up, you're opening the shells, take the opportunity to damp the insides of the air chamber, the back of the magnet plate, and the back of the button.

If you want radically more bass, pop the holes in back of the driver, but when doing so, make sure you have the air chamber damped.  You'll get crazy air flow that will make these bad boys amazingly punchy, but you want to make sure the inner walls are damped so you don't end up with wild resonance off the plastic shells.

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
If, by opening them up, you're opening the shells, take the opportunity to damp the insides of the air chamber, the back of the magnet plate, and the back of the button.

If you want radically more bass, pop the holes in back of the driver, but when doing so, make sure you have the air chamber damped.  You'll get crazy air flow that will make these bad boys amazingly punchy, but you want to make sure the inner walls are damped so you don't end up with wild resonance off the plastic shells.

Pics please? I'm not 100% sure whats what. What material do I damping with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back