Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4
Jun 12, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #526 of 1,075

Quote:

I dont know the difference between the OPamps, why would the AD797 be a better option to the AD8610?

I have had amps in which I could use either of these two op-amps. I then proceeded to swap them and to my ears with my music and my gear I preferred the AD797. It was a bit lusher and mellower which may not be what every one wants. At the end of the day it will depend on what YOU like.

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #528 of 1,075

Quote:
Whats the difference between the  UHA-4    AD8610ARZ  and OPA209AID

I'm told by Nick the 209 has a more typical smooth, laid back burr brown house sound.  The 8610 is the standard musical, balanced sound w/ good clarity by Analog Devices that Leckerton uses standard.  I've been waiting for the UHA4 loaner to show to compare but no luck so far.  Therefore I'll do the opamp comparo using just the UHA6 instead.  Not sure about grabbing the UHA4/209 w/o a 8610 to compare to.  

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #529 of 1,075

^^^ YES I admit I've been flaking on it, I'll try to get it out next week, you wouldn't believe what alcohol costs at the bars here!
@estreeter YES those amps are bricks compared to the UHA-4, I've just started using the UHA-4 in place of my PA2V2 (which is why I bought the UHA-4) and I slipped the rig (S639-UHA-4) in my shirt pocket and I know now this is the amp!!!! I'm glad I found this amp too, I'm building my road bike (the kind you pedal) and it is gonna get pricy (the way I like it :wink:  )

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #530 of 1,075

Quote:

^^^ YES I admit I've been flaking on it, I'll try to get it out next week, you wouldn't believe what alcohol costs at the bars here!
@estreeter YES those amps are bricks compared to the UHA-4, I've just started using the UHA-4 in place of my PA2V2 (which is why I bought the UHA-4) and I slipped the rig (S639-UHA-4) in my shirt pocket and I know now this is the amp!!!! I'm glad I found this amp too, I'm building my road bike (the kind you pedal) and it is gonna get pricy (the way I like it :wink:  )

Hang on - I thought you were buying the Decware Zenhead ? That amp is a lot closer to the Lisa III in size than the uHA-120 is. You also mentioned that you were interested in buying two AHA-120s to use in a balanced rig - you'll need some serious coverall-size pockets for that lot. 'Bob The Builder' needs to post a security guard outside his dressing room, methinks.  :wink:

Jun 19, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #531 of 1,075
^ LOL

Like you I wanted a transportable rig, but I realized the winner is in the semi distant future, The Portacode, so I'll be a patient little monkey and wait for it. 
What attracted me to the UHA-4 was the size, its ability to drive the HD650's so beautifully pretty much pacified MY need for a "mini brick" amp (YMMV), I wonder what I'll do when the L3 arrives? I've paid for it and everything..
, My Lisa III will tide me over transportably until the Portacode is finished. 
As much as I love the headphone fun stuff (and I do love it) I have other interests I'm working on, most notably a road bike, I have already bought the Bianchi touring frame (thats just something for now) and I am generating funds for the Litespeed Titanium frame (that is the last frame I'm ever gonna buy, I don't trust Carbon Fiber) but I hope to do a 'Frisco run (fly up, bike down) and I can't really take anything heavy or large, I was thinking KSC-75's or 35's and the Pa2v2 and my S639 

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #533 of 1,075
^ you said in an earlier post that the UHA-4 is bass heavy... 
Did you buy the same UHA-4 as I? I used a NEUTRAL IEM (ER-6) and the bass was less than the Arrow, it was just more dynamic like a pair of Ultrasones, but more natural and without the bass emphasis. 

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #534 of 1,075

Quote:
^ you said in an earlier post that the UHA-4 is bass heavy... 
Did you buy the same UHA-4 as I? I used a NEUTRAL IEM (ER-6) and the bass was less than the Arrow, it was just more dynamic like a pair of Ultrasones, but more natural and without the bass emphasis. 

Yeah - a couple of other folk said the same thing - dunno, but the bass doesnt sound 'natural' through my cans with my music/ears. I describe it as 'boosted', but thats the nature of subjective impressions. We've both had our say on the uHA-4 in some detail, so I guess its over to other folk to form their own impressions.

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #536 of 1,075
Stay away from the arrow, your head might explode! 
basshead.gif

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #537 of 1,075

Quote:
Stay away from the arrow, your head might explode! 
basshead.gif

Oh come on.  The Pico Slim thumps both their bottoms.  
tongue.gif
  On default I really don't find the Arrow to be anywhere north of neutral in bass at all.  It has excellent impact and bass imaging or focus but the quantity isn't exaggerated at all.  To my ears. 

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #538 of 1,075
I might add that the degree of 'bass thump' has definitely decreased over the weeks since I first got the uHA-4 : depending on your belief system, that could be burn-in and it could be my ears becoming accustomed to the sound signature. Or it could be placebo - whatever, I gave it 50+ hours and plenty of listening time, and for now I stand by what I said earlier, particularly with my modded Grados. No, its not Ultrasone bass, but if I want that I will buy a pair of Ultrasones and the ZO - forget $200+ portable amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back