Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4
May 21, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #376 of 1,075

Quote:
^Haha maybe.  I actually was about to pull the trigger on a D6 not too long ago, but figured it was overkill with the D10 and UHA-4 in rotation already.  If I didn't have one or the other, I'd probably would have gotten a D6 to play around with.

As for any official reviews, I have not actually read any yet, just the musings of some owners here and there on the D6 appreciation thread.  I'm not certain, but chances are fairly high that maybe HiFlight might have one, he is quite the guru on iBasso amps (or at least has heard/gone through a good variety of them), so maybe check the thread if he posted on mini reviews or perhaps drop him a PM to request his inputs.

I've been going through the D6 thread page by page, but it's slow going. 

As for the UHA-4, I've been continuing to listen on K701's, and I'm finding a lot of distortion with fuller sounds when I push the UHA-4 to its max.  It's very noticeable in Delorean's "Stay Close" about 1:00 in, particularly in the synth and the lead vocals.  Interestingly, at the same volume, I'm not noticing much distortion when I listen to Amon Tobin's new album, but that focuses more on the lows and highs, and it seems to be the mids experiencing the most distortion.  

I wouldn't say any of this is a reflection on the UHA-4's capabilities with most headphones, but with something as difficult to drive as the K701's, it seems like it just lacks the necessary punch.  Unfortunately, my nice IEM's are busted right now, but I tried it out with some Klipsch S2m's I have, and I'm not getting any distortion.  I haven't spent a whole lot of time with the amp and the S2m's, but if I notice anything particular, I'll post it here.

estreeter, you've convinced me.  I'm ordering the D6 today.  Hopefully it arrives with enough time for me to compare the two thoroughly before I have to return the UHA-4.  Also, if anyone on the west side of LA wants to try out the UHA-4, PM me.  I don't have much experience with headphone amps, so it'd be good to get other opinions on the UHA-4/K701 combo. 

May 22, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #377 of 1,075

Quote:
I've been going through the D6 thread page by page, but it's slow going. 

As for the UHA-4, I've been continuing to listen on K701's, and I'm finding a lot of distortion with fuller sounds when I push the UHA-4 to its max.  It's very noticeable in Delorean's "Stay Close" about 1:00 in, particularly in the synth and the lead vocals.  Interestingly, at the same volume, I'm not noticing much distortion when I listen to Amon Tobin's new album, but that focuses more on the lows and highs, and it seems to be the mids experiencing the most distortion.  

I wouldn't say any of this is a reflection on the UHA-4's capabilities with most headphones, but with something as difficult to drive as the K701's, it seems like it just lacks the necessary punch.  Unfortunately, my nice IEM's are busted right now, but I tried it out with some Klipsch S2m's I have, and I'm not getting any distortion.  I haven't spent a whole lot of time with the amp and the S2m's, but if I notice anything particular, I'll post it here.

estreeter, you've convinced me.  I'm ordering the D6 today.  Hopefully it arrives with enough time for me to compare the two thoroughly before I have to return the UHA-4.  Also, if anyone on the west side of LA wants to try out the UHA-4, PM me.  I don't have much experience with headphone amps, so it'd be good to get other opinions on the UHA-4/K701 combo. 

Excellent, although I'm sorry to hear that you are going to return the uHA-4. After my experience with the K601, I vowed never to buy another pair of hard-to-drive cans again - there are just so many other choices out there. Ironically, my E9 would almost certainly do a good job with them, but thats a long way from my transportable rig dream.

May 22, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #378 of 1,075
For portable use and more power hungry phones, I'd suggest the TTVJ Slim rather than the D6.  The D6 is not really portable especially compared to the TTVJ Slim or UHA-4.  But again, the AKG 701 are not portable either, so probably doesn't matter if the amp is portable.

May 23, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #379 of 1,075

Quote:
For portable use and more power hungry phones, I'd suggest the TTVJ Slim rather than the D6.  The D6 is not really portable especially compared to the TTVJ Slim or UHA-4.  But again, the AKG 701 are not portable either, so probably doesn't matter if the amp is portable.

I guess that is true. If using full size headphones on the go does it really matter about the size of the amp? Unless its a brick or bomb lol
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Not to insult anyone but I'd feel stupid wearing my full size dennons on the go lol (mile long wire)
L3000.gif
. If you love the sound of the uha 4 slim have you considered returning it and getting the more powerful version of the uha estreeter? I heard they sound the same but the other/'s have a lot more power.

May 23, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #380 of 1,075
I wont be getting the uHA-6. As I said in the thread on the HP-P1, I've spent something in the region of a thousand dollars on audio in the last month or so - time to give it a rest.

May 23, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #381 of 1,075
@estreeter

If I had known then what I know now, I might not have bought the K701's, but I do love them.  Soundstage and a clean sound were my top requirements, and I felt like nothing else I listened to came close to the K701 in terms of soundstage.  Perhaps I missed something, but oh well.  

@bulmanxxi

I've been eyeing the TTVJ Slim, but with DAC it's $450 vs the D6's $275.  Some day, sure, but not today…

May 23, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #383 of 1,075

Quote:
I wont be getting the uHA-6. As I said in the thread on the HP-P1, I've spent something in the region of a thousand dollars on audio in the last month or so - time to give it a rest.

I know how you feel lol. I haven't spend a grand in a month yet though . I spend close to $700.00 in the span of a week though on audio equipment :wink:.

May 24, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #388 of 1,075
Just trying to spice things up a little, Armaegis. Run a check on the words 'tad' and 'smidgen' at Headfonia and 6Moons and you will begin to see what I am getting at - its all very polite so as not to put anyone's nose out of joint. Life is like that when you have advertisers to placate.

(if I end up eating humble pie on this, I will be the first to admit it - for now, I cant let certain people continue to wind up the hype machine unchallenged. Game on)

May 24, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #389 of 1,075
Er... did you mean Anaxilus instead of Armaegis? (they sorta sound alike I guess)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back