Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4
Apr 26, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #226 of 1,075

Quote:
It would be interesting if someone could test this amp on the SE530's as stated earlier. I've always been curious about the 530's but can't justify paying the $400-$500 premium they tend to go for. I think $300 is the most I'd pay for them. I got my IE8's for $265 and they are amazing with the Sflo2 and UHA-4 combination. The UHA-4 and Sflo2 really open up these IEMs to their full potential. I think my search for the perfect portable amp is over. Then again I'm always looking to improve lol.

'Perfect' at that price point, in Blasto's opinion - I guess that is as good an endorsement as you will get here. For the asking price, short of some unforseen manufacturing defect, I cant see how you can go wrong.

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #228 of 1,075
I wish I was hearing the same "sound" you guys post about.... lol.   Maybe I need another pair of different cans or OK1s or Pk1s to get the best out of it.   Other than a louder neutral sound I do not seem to get any more of an "improved" sound when listening to all types of music, and as far as my ears hear, all cross feed does for me is dull the sound from the music.  

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #229 of 1,075
What cans are you using? Just so you know cross feed doesn't seem to have much of an impact on open cans. neither does the arrow's cross feed, nature of the beast I guess. Sometimes amps and cans just don't get along, My DT880's sound horrid on the Lisa III

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #230 of 1,075

Quote:
I wish I was hearing the same "sound" you guys post about.... lol.   Maybe I need another pair of different cans or OK1s or Pk1s to get the best out of it.   Other than a louder neutral sound I do not seem to get any more of an "improved" sound when listening to all types of music, and as far as my ears hear, all cross feed does for me is dull the sound from the music.  

The 'neutral' part is the key. You underestimate the extent to which this trait is valued in audio.

If I can take a slight detour, a guy recently posted (on another forum I frequent) that neither he nor his friend could tell any difference between the Corda XXS (same as the 'HeadSix') and the StepDance, an amp which drew rave reviews for its neutrality and transparency. The key is that these amps arent putting anything into the mix that isnt already there - once you have sufficient power, it comes down to your source and your phones. 

- want BASS ? Buy a pair of Ultrasones or the IE8 - dont try to inject bass into notoriously bass-shy headphones. Joker has about a bazillion recommendations for bassy IEMs in his epic thread.
- want SOUNDSTAGE ? Buy headphones that are renowned for their 3D soundstage - if your amp has the power, you should feel it immediately. Percussion, in particular, really benefits from the right amp.

If you are using EQ, try turning it off. If you normally listen at high volumes, try cranking it back a couple of notches. Finally, just sit back and let the music wash over you - trying too hard never works for me, and its one of the reasons that I dont put much faith in our friends' brief shop audition of the StepDance.

Apr 27, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #232 of 1,075
The effect of crossfeed is most noticeable on recordings with extreme stereo separation. You can try its effect on The Mamas & The Papas' "California Dreamin'".

On that recording, each instrument is arbitrarily positioned either at the extreme left or extreme right (and believe me, on high-quality versions of this recording, the panning's even more exaggerated). During the chorus, the womens' voices are all on the left, the mens' on the right, most of the instruments also take sides, and then during the first verse the lead singer appears out of nowhere, dead-center.

Try switching the crossfeed in and out while listening. The soundstage will seem to close in noticeably, and the voices will move perceptibly towards a middle, with the result that it sounds less like two different sound sources and more like one unified (simulated) acoustic space. (The volume may also drop slightly when you switch in crossfeed, so don't treat this as A/B testing: changes in volume affect a variety of perceptions of sound quality, and if you're listening regularly you'd just turn a quiet signal up a little more.)

Stereo recordings these days tend not to have such an exaggerated channel separation (unless it's for deliberate effect), so the effect of crossfeed is more subtle. If you like listening to 60s and 70s music, or if you have headphones with massive soundstaging capability, crossfeed can be a big help at making the sound more natural. Corda and Headroom amps have crossfeed switches, and their websites both have good, detailed articles about what it does and how it works.

Apr 27, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #233 of 1,075
Well, here is the thing. I am a heavy EQ user.  Currently I am using the Cowon J3 with a pair of Yuin PK2's.   I prefer ear-buds over IEMs, although I do have a pair of Monster turbine pro copper and just not liking the design of IEMs sticking in my ear so I just stick to ear-buds.

As I had mentioned before, I have used the FiiO E5 amp, yes I am very aware its a $20 amp and I should not even compare the two, but the point I would like to get across is at high volume with the EQ settings I use on the J3+ the extra bass selected from the E5, I just get this feeling of been there in the crowd. There are times it can sound amazing, only downside is depending on what I a listening to there is some distortion. If I can get that same sound with no distortion I'd be happy.   

And do not read me the wrong way, I am not knocking the uha-4, other than the E5 the uha-4 is my second amp, I have never really considered buying one until Pk1 ear-buds peaked my interest.  Pk2's are great but I always wonder is this the best it gets or can the sound get better, and that is why I started looking at portable amps.  

Since it was only $169 I will just probably keep it and use it as a reference amp for other high quality ear-buds I buy, maybe one of them will be more suited for it.  

And I do appreciate the suggestions you make, and learn in the process. 

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #235 of 1,075

Quote:
Sir, you are a rare breed on Head-Fi. We seem to be obsessed with the idea that an amp can cure all ills.

Got goiter? This here Leckerton will fix you right up. Tennis elbow? Take two iBasso and call me in the morning. Black lung and yellow fever? I've got some good Schiit for you right here...

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #236 of 1,075
Having read the whole thread (to the detriment of my work) I have to say that bulmanxxi starts off with some helpful points, but his overtly zealous comments have really been to the detriment of the thread as a whole. He who shouts the loudest isn't necessarily the one most listened to. Everyone seeks confirmation bias to some extent, we all want to feel like we've made the right decision, but lets remember that people's hard earned cash often rides on comments and opinions expressed on head-fi.

Getting back on topic, I'm intending to order one, does anyone who owns one know how much it weighs? Aluminium is a very light metal, but if the internals include DAC components, I imagine it to be adding considerable weight to my trouser pockets.

Apr 28, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #237 of 1,075

I'd say just a tad under a lb. I consider it very light, maybe not as light as the arrow
Quote:
Having read the whole thread (to the detriment of my work) I have to say that bulmanxxi starts off with some helpful points, but his overtly zealous comments have really been to the detriment of the thread as a whole. He who shouts the loudest isn't necessarily the one most listened to. Everyone seeks confirmation bias to some extent, we all want to feel like we've made the right decision, but lets remember that people's hard earned cash often rides on comments and opinions expressed on head-fi.

Getting back on topic, I'm intending to order one, does anyone who owns one know how much it weighs? Aluminium is a very light metal, but if the internals include DAC components, I imagine it to be adding considerable weight to my trouser pockets.

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #239 of 1,075
What ardegee said.  I've owned one of these for a couple months. The crossfeed option is useful for many older recordings and a few newer ones, but with a well recorded source with a decent sound stage it makes things worse and can muffle the sound. One switch flip to turn it on or off.  Used appropriately, it's a very nice option to have.  About the amp in general: At $179, it's a true bargain particularly for someone playing music from a laptop, most mp3 players, and desktops with iffy sound cards (or none). It is neutral and clean with no anomalies and the warmth mentioned by some users is very subtle and doesn't mask detail or muck anything up.  The DAC, while not world class, makes for a very marked improvement over stock/plain vanilla. Customer service is as good as you'll find anywhere. No customs or communication hassles.  At anywhere near the price point, it has no serious competition except from the UHA6/6S in my opinion.  I've mostly listened to this through well burned in Superlux 668Bs, which are neutral and balanced (but missing low bass) and the original Grado Sigs with the polarity switch. 

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #240 of 1,075

Quote:
At anywhere near the price point, it has no serious competition except from the UHA6/6S.

What other amps have you heard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back