Leaving portable hifi - it's too silly
Nov 9, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #916 of 937
Quote:
Honestly, I think there's tremendous amounts of bias involved here.

Sir, please, I had a rough night - follow me down this alleyway - my friends and I would like a 'chat'   
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, welcome to Head-Fi : humans behind all these keyboards and we all have our biases. 

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #917 of 937
Pardon my ignorance, but have you tried any of the Cowon DAPs coupled with Audiotechnica ATH-M50 or ATH-WS55? Before I heard those, I was swearing by Sennheiser PX-100. Now, I think they are way overpriced for the sound they produce. For portable set up I couple Cowon J3 with Audiotechnica ATH-WS55 and there is no need for any portable Amps (not that I ever used any anyway!). Perhaps, you can give it ago. Cowon players are pricey, but the sound they put out is extraordinary.

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #918 of 937
I binned my PX100s roughly 2 years ago - massively overrated. Far prefer the Koss cheapies - still one of THE head-fi bargains of the last 30 years.

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #919 of 937
Quote:
if something goes on sale, again not this, this was a personal project to stop myself buying everything new that came out, when each was more just different rather than better, but if it does come to pass, I will be charging for my time, costs and some profit, thats how the world works, but its not how some people have been indoctrinated to believe it should work.

Agreed, look we all like a bargain. But you have to make a living, and you should be rewarded for your hard work and research, and thats the end of it.

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #920 of 937
I binned my PX100s roughly 2 years ago - massively overrated. Far prefer the Koss cheapies - still one of THE head-fi bargains of the last 30 years.
Not enough mids. I haven't got PX100s, but I had some Portapro and HD229, and the latter impressed me that much, that I abandoned my £200 IEMs with their £20 sound.

Sound quality over the 70s and 80s must have been taking a nose dive with the adoption of earbuds and ever cheaper walkmen with ****ty bass boost or three band EQs. I still remember the enlightenment of music sounding like music rather than headphones when I got some now ancient and bassless ER6i. The step up to HF2 and ER4 was worthwhile too.

And now proper on-ears, not the 229s or Portapro.

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #921 of 937
It is four years now since you posted your mini rant [no disrespect intended] against the enthusiasm or obsession for the portable rigs. Would you modify your stance from four years ago regarding the low audio quality of the portable amplifiers ? In the last couple of years there has been an influx of good portable amps into the audiophile world. The quality of audio signal they offer is much improved over what was available four years ago.
Another thing, you noted in your comment from 2008 on the sonic superiority of the old PCDPs over the portable digital audio players. Four years on there are individuals who still keep using the premium quality vintage portable CD players as the audio source in portable rigs.

May 23, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #922 of 937

Just stumbled across this golden thread-Px 100 straight out of shuffle 1st gen-That will do me 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #924 of 937
A post I made in another thread:

Ok so I'm realizing that "portable" dac's use usb only, and can't be used without a computer. Is that right...and are there any good amp/dac or just dac's that don't need a computer?

Quote:
Do you want a DAP? Ie music player + dac + amp all in one? If so, check out the new Fiio X3, X5 or the ibasso DX50.

May 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #925 of 937
^U have lost me slightly.Are you saying consider an all in one player(dap,dac & amp) as opposed to the brick.

May 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #926 of 937
Just wanted to tell you that money spent on a psychologist is not money wasted. Psychology can help treat depression, and don't go on thinking that just because it's in the brain that it isn't a legitimate disease. Mental problems are just chemical imbalances in the brain and are very tangible. Not knowing what makes one unhappy is a real problem. 

May 28, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #928 of 937
May 30, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #930 of 937
Quote:
^U have lost me slightly.Are you saying consider an all in one player(dap,dac & amp) as opposed to the brick.

Ok so I got my CKS99 IEM headphones, and I was turned on to an EQ app "Accudio" for my iphone 4.  I needed an EQ to boost the bass and this app really sounds good.  You select your IEM or headphones, and it EQ's them for you.  Mine weren't listed, so I chose another AT IEM and boosted the sub bass myself.  No need for me to carry any amp at all, and I can hear calls come in so that's a plus for me.  The only downside is it lags when choosing a song, but once it starts playing it's all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back