Leaving portable hifi - it's too silly
Sep 21, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #737 of 937
Why don't people just get nice closed easily driven headphones?
I use my nexus s (wolfson dac chip) and a pair of mdr-z1000's. Yeah it sounds marginally better out of my squeezebox touch and A1 amp. But I wouldn't be able to discern the difference riding the train or even outside with the distractions and sounds found out there.
Everybody is different, but people should really be weary of how much of this is marketing/self expression/emotional decisions and how much is about sound quality.

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #738 of 937

Quote:
Why don't people just get nice closed easily driven headphones?

I have been making the same argument for a couple of years now, but we still get people wading in here wanting to drive the biggest cans from the smallest amps - its perverse, but I guess thats Head-Fi.

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #740 of 937

Quote:
Luminette,

You're rig is abit chunky for a portable but atleast its not as bad as this:

Hey!

That is a nice bag for Edition 8... any1 knows the brand of it?

EDIT: Found it, DT1350 case :p

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #741 of 937
thats not a rig, thats 2 rigs setup strapped together to comparisons

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #742 of 937
qusp is, of course, correct, but Jude's comparison between the HP-P1+DAP strapped together vs the CLAS stack illustrated how crazy either rig would be for genuinely portable use. I want something I can throw in a backpack and set up in a hotel room, but for the airport etc nothing beats the simplicity of DAP -> IEMs.  NWavGuy claims the current iPhone/Touch have output impedances under 2 ohms - if thats the case, and the sound is on par with my Nano, you have a mini-entertainment centre in your shirt pocket.

We seem to delight in making life harder than it needs to be. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #743 of 937
Sep 22, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #745 of 937

Quote:
Hardly - the last man to do that was Einstein. Oh, and Oppenheimer - its all been hacks since then.

Those were ones to do it right.  I attached no claim of validity to my statement.  
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #746 of 937
I love my home setup, but the idea of also having a portable rig which I can take with me on holiday and stuff sounds boss! At the moment I have a Naim CD5i > GS Solo Ultra Linear > HD650 setup, and my question is... Does anyone know how the iPod Classic > CLAS > RSA SR-71B > LCD2 combo would do as far as sound quality is concerned? What can I expect? It's an awful lot of money, well for me anyway, so I'm expecting a lot. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #747 of 937
I own a PA2V2, Headroom Total Bithead, and a Fiio LOD, but I rarely carry them around in my pocket with me for out-and-around usage. My "portable" (more like "pocket") rig usually consists of my iPhone and my Ety HF2s. That's it. No amp, just the player and my 'phones. It sounds good enough for when I'm walking to class. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #748 of 937
Isn't the primary function of an amp to provide extra juice to power your headphones?
Why are people putting the "sound sig" of the amp into the equation that determines
whether an amp is good or bad?

I think the OP said the >Lisa III is the only amp that sounds good<... 
confused.gif

Does an amp that can sufficiently power a pair of headphones, while "sounding good"
make that amp a really good amp? 

So an amp that can power the headphone efficiently, but has a transparent sound sig
would be a bad amplifier... ? Maybe I'm overanalysing things. 

confused_face.gif

Sep 23, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #749 of 937

Quote:
Isn't the primary function of an amp to provide extra juice to power your headphones?

Not necessarily.  Up until recently all I had were IEMs and Grados, none of which needs an amp.  But I had 4 different headphone amps anyway, because they improve the sound and in certain cases the detail level.

Now if you have headphones that NEED an amp, such as Orthos or HD800's, then the primary reason is extra juice.  But otherwise, no, not really.

Sep 23, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #750 of 937

Quote:

Not necessarily.  Up until recently all I had were IEMs and Grados, none of which needs an amp.  But I had 4 different headphone amps anyway, because they improve the sound and in certain cases the detail level.

Now if you have headphones that NEED an amp, such as Orthos or HD800's, then the primary reason is extra juice.  But otherwise, no, not really.

The reason you hear more detail is the extra juice but I get what you're trying to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back