Leaving portable hifi - it's too silly
May 16, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #541 of 937
Way to defeat the purpose of this very venerable (dare I say classic) thread.

All you need for portable playback is any relatively decent player and an amazing set of IEMs. High-end headphones that operate well with low output will get you much farther than any high-end player will, so it's very necessary to throw most of your budget at the headphones. Only if you've maxed the headphones out should you pursue should you spend big money on the player.

And with this philosophy in mind, even the HiFiMan is a player I could appreciate. It's big and the battery life sucks, but it's standalone and self-contained. 

As soon as you throw in the portable amplifier you've suffered from an egregious loss of both the sensibility of portable audio and the concept of value. It is at this point a similar investment in a desktop setup will fare you MUCH better. Consider this: the iBasso D4 USB amp/DAC sounds better via USB than it does amping (most) portables. If you'd invested the money spent on the player on a solid desktop amplifier instead, you'd get a sound far more worthy of admiration. Desktop amplifiers provide substantially more sound per dollar than any portable amplifiers do. Ray Samuel's desktop amplifiers, even at their substantial prices, make the value of his portable line seem like a joke.

To this end portable DAC/amps redeem themselves in their use as actual USB DACs, and not as amplifiers. But portable amplifiers don't represent any semblance of good value whatsoever.

If you're lugging around such a complex setup for actual on-the-go usage I'd have to question your sanity and obsession with this hobby. I can barely understand this kind of setup for a relaxing sojourn in the backyard hammock, but to try to appreciate the finer details and nuance in any truly portable application (i.e. out and about) is actually something I'd contend betrays the ideals of this hobby rather than espouses them.

The question of superior portable HiFi setups is silly when the same investment in desktop components will get you something that just sounds better.

May 16, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #542 of 937
For listening to new CDs on the train for instance the discman comes along. Still, do not overcomplicate the portable set up. I might try a portable Amplifier/DAC combination but it has to be reliable and simple to operate. Only if the sound improvement would be dramatic I would consider it making it a daily operation. But if my HD428 lasts long enough, why overcomplicate the portable set up?

You can always try and dedicate a write up to the experience. I prefer my simple portable set up for the time being.

May 16, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #543 of 937

Quote:
For listening to new CDs on the train for instance the discman comes along. Still, do not overcomplicate the portable set up. I might try a portable Amplifier/DAC combination but it has to be reliable and simple to operate. Only if the sound improvement would be dramatic I would consider it making it a daily operation. But if my HD428 lasts long enough, why overcomplicate the portable set up?

You can always try and dedicate a write up to the experience. I prefer my simple portable set up for the time being.

I find your portable setup more worthy of respect than most of the convoluted setups posted in the "Pictures of your Portable Rig" threads.

May 16, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #544 of 937

Quote:
Way to defeat the purpose of this very venerable (dare I say classic) thread.

All you need for portable playback is any relatively decent player and an amazing set of IEMs. High-end headphones that operate well with low output will get you much farther than any high-end player will, so it's very necessary to throw most of your budget at the headphones. Only if you've maxed the headphones out should you pursue should you spend big money on the player.

And with this philosophy in mind, even the HiFiMan is a player I could appreciate. It's big and the battery life sucks, but it's standalone and self-contained. 

As soon as you throw in the portable amplifier you've suffered from an egregious loss of both the sensibility of portable audio and the concept of value. It is at this point a similar investment in a desktop setup will fare you MUCH better. Consider this: the iBasso D4 USB amp/DAC sounds better via USB than it does amping (most) portables. If you'd invested the money spent on the player on a solid desktop amplifier instead, you'd get a sound far more worthy of admiration. Desktop amplifiers provide substantially more sound per dollar than any portable amplifiers do. Ray Samuel's desktop amplifiers, even at their substantial prices, make the value of his portable line seem like a joke.

To this end portable DAC/amps redeem themselves in their use as actual USB DACs, and not as amplifiers. But portable amplifiers don't represent any semblance of good value whatsoever.

If you're lugging around such a complex setup for actual on-the-go usage I'd have to question your sanity and obsession with this hobby. I can barely understand this kind of setup for a relaxing sojourn in the backyard hammock, but to try to appreciate the finer details and nuance in any truly portable application (i.e. out and about) is actually something I'd contend betrays the ideals of this hobby rather than espouses them.

The question of superior portable HiFi setups is silly when the same investment in desktop components will get you something that just sounds better.

If this whole post was referring to me. You haven't heard my setup, so your whole post is meaningless. I find my setup of complete value because it is versatile. It's my home, portable and travel rig. The HiFiMAN contains a DAC inside comparable to the DAC's found in a Benchmark DAC1, Grace M902, Lavry DA11, etc...Right off the bat the HiFiMAN's huge size to some isn't so huge anymore packing the sound quality of a full size DAC costing $1,000+. The RSA Protector has been said to outperform home amplifiers costing in the $1,000 range. The RSA Protector is good enough to be used as a battery powered home balanced amplifier. You already know how amazing the JH13 Pro's are, comparable to the best of the best headphones. Add this combo up and you have probably the best sounding versatile rig ever. Worth every penny at over $3,000.

May 16, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #545 of 937

Quote:

If this whole post was referring to me. You haven't heard my setup, so your whole post is meaningless. I find my setup of complete value because it is versatile. It's my home, portable and travel rig. The HiFiMAN contains a DAC inside comparable to the DAC's found in a Benchmark DAC1, Grace M902, Lavry DA11, etc...Right off the bat the HiFiMAN's huge size to some isn't so huge anymore packing the sound quality of a full size DAC costing $1,000+. The RSA Protector has been said to outperform home amplifiers costing in the $1,000 range. The RSA Protector is good enough to be used as a battery powered home balanced amplifier. You already know how amazing the JH13 Pro's are, comparable to the best of the best headphones. Add this combo up and you have probably the best sounding versatile rig ever. Worth every penny at over $3,000.

No, it wasn't. And -- FYI -- I have heard the HiFiMan, and I have heard the Protector. Insofar as the HiFiMan being an astounding DAC, I agree with you completely. As a DAC it's very good, highly comparable to desktop standalone DACs around its price range. As for the Protector outperforming $1000 home amplifiers -- no. It barely compares to single-ended desktop amplifiers within its price range. $3,000 would have gotten you a far superior setup invested in some excellent AudioGD gear, for instance. My ears have heard.

Your setup was good up to the HiFiMan. The Protector was just a waste of money.

This post is directed at you. The post you quoted is a general statement, stemming from first-hand experiences with such wondrous gadget evolution like the iMods and Kenwoods of yesteryear to the HiFiMen (the HiFiMan is much better) of today and such bizarre letdowns as the Hornet of yesteryear and the Shadows and Protectors of today (still sounds weak; Ray makes wonderful home amplifiers though, in my humble opinion).

I'm not arguing that your portable rig doesn't sound good or isn't the best-sounding portable rig in the world. I'm arguing that it's a silly waste of money.

May 16, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #546 of 937

Quote:
No, it wasn't. And -- FYI -- I have heard the HiFiMan, and I have heard the Protector. Insofar as the HiFiMan being an astounding DAC, I agree with you completely. As a DAC it's very good, highly comparable to desktop standalone DACs around its price range. As for the Protector outperforming $1000 home amplifiers -- no. It barely compares to single-ended desktop amplifiers within its price range. $3,000 would have gotten you a far superior setup invested in some excellent AudioGD gear, for instance. My ears have heard.

Your setup was good up to the HiFiMan. The Protector was just a waste of money.

This post is directed at you. The post you quoted is a general statement, stemming from first-hand experiences with such wondrous gadgets like the iMods and Kenwoods of yesteryear and the iMods of today and such bizarre letdowns as the Hornet of yesteryears and the Shadows and Protectors of today.

You heard the Protector through it's balanced output correct? The Protector transformed my JH13's into a full sized headphone with the soundstage improvement. Size and instrument separation is stunning. Don't even think I have the energy to type what else improvements the RSA Protector bought to the table...

May 16, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #547 of 937
Yes, back when I only had the 13s though using a balanced TWag as you have. It just doesn't match a great single-ended home amplifier, let alone a good balanced one. People said similar things about the JH13 and the ALO Rx -- that it transformed the 13s. Through either of these portable I never got quite the satisfaction that I did out of even my little Nova.

Once again, I'm not arguing sound here primarily. I'm primarily arguing value and sensibility. However, your portable rig may sound amazing, even the best as far as portable terms go, but you simply left performance on the table given your budget.

May 16, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #548 of 937

Quote:
Yes, back when I only had the 13s though using a balanced TWag as you have. It just doesn't match a great single-ended home amplifier, let alone a good balanced one. People said similar things about the JH13 and the ALO Rx -- that it transformed the 13s. Through either of these portable I never got quite the satisfaction that I did out of even my little Nova.

Once again, I'm not arguing sound here primarily. I'm primarily arguing value and sensibility. However, your portable rig may sound amazing, even the best as far as portable terms go, but you simply left performance on the table given your budget.

Also, remember you do pay some more money to have this technology crammed into something portable. It's easy to make a huge box with components that fill up this box that sounds better than a small portable amplifier.

May 16, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #549 of 937
Just came from the RSA Mustang and have to say it barely even sounds as good as a cheap desktop amp. Portable amps provide very minimal improvements and I agree 100% with the original thread starter. I have yet to hear a portable amp that really takes sound to the next level. I have not heard the Protector but I honestly doubt it can outperform a $1,000 amp, unless it's a really crappy $1,000 amp.

I mean it's incredible how something like the Mustang can adequately power something like the K701 or the HD650, but it's not even close to how a good desktop amp can sound.

These days I am of the mind for a cheap DIY portable amp that I use whenever I feel like lounging around somewhere that isn't my listening room. If I felt like lounging in the living room but wanted to use my HD650 or K701, then I bring out a $10 DIY amp and my iPod and a $1 LOD and I'm set. It doesn't sound as good as my full amp but it'll do for semi-portable comfy listening.  

Outdoors I use the PX100 or the TF10 or some other IEM straight out of my iPod. Portable amps are just not practical enough and don't offer enough of a substantial upgrade to the sound. Sometimes I tack on the FiiO E5 when I feel like I need the bass boost, which is as much of a compromise as I am willing to make. 

If I visit a friend's house or am in the library then I usually just use my netbook, a USB DAC and the said $10 DIY amp along with one pair of headphones I felt like bringing. It's still not as good as my home setup but when you're on the go you make compromises. But I've tried some high end gear for the purpose and I find the benefits just aren't worth the unbelievable price premiums. All respect to Mr. Ray Samuels but his portable line is just too expensive for far too little added benefit (I posted about this in the Mustang thread). For these purposes, I've been very happy with the el-cheapo stuff.

May 16, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #550 of 937

Quote:
Also, remember you do pay some more money to have this technology crammed into something portable. It's easy to make a huge box with components that fill up this box that sounds better than a small portable amplifier.

That's exactly what I'm saying. I'm just saying portable amps aren't worth the improvement they provide considering, although they're portable, they're not doing you any favors in terms of what you have to lug around. You still have to deal with an interconnect and some way to mate the amp with your player during travel. It's still cumbersome, even if we're talking about something like the RSA Shadow, because it's an additive process. You're paying a fair deal of the price for the portability and it's not even lightening your burden. The remaining value of the actual sonic improvement just isn't worth it.

Of course it's just a matter of opinion, but this is why I gave up this angle towards the hobby a long time ago. I listen to music on-the-go with my phone and I'm still satisfied because of how scalable the JH13s and JH16s are. And I'm rewarded at home with the Nova, again, because of how scalable the JH13s and JH16s are. I'll contend that the JH earpieces are probably amidst the best values of all of hifi -- not just portable -- and that portable amplifiers are exactly the opposite.

May 16, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #551 of 937
I'm an insane HI-FI seeking wackjob, that's my excuse, take it or leave it, I apologize for nothing. I have a VERY descent home set up upgrading any part of it would be costly because the components I have pushed me near my limits, and The Lisa III, when used with the LLP unit, doubles as a stationary amp  AND BY THE OP'S OWN ADMISSION the Lisa III comes close to cutting it(as I stated I had a Luxman P200) I don't really use headphones at home. I do plan on going ultra portable, to the extent that would make the OP happy, Walkman X1061 with an Arrow with Etymotic ER4s's W/ custom tips, would fit comfortably in a shirt pocket. Keep in mind you are talking to someone who has NO problem trudging around something with the Portacodes specs. I think the OP would have been happy with a HiFiMAN, it strikes me as a nifty all in one unit, and with a higher end set of portable cans (T50p's ?) He would be quite satisfied.
As for "Value and Sensibility" WHAT WEBSITE DO YOU THINK YOU'RE ON!?! WELCOME TO HEAD-FI BABY!!! EXPENSIVE STUFF THAT PROVIDES MARGINAL IMPROVEMENT IS THE NAME OF THE GAME!

May 16, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #552 of 937

Quote:
As for "Value and Sensibility" WHAT WEBSITE DO YOU THINK YOU'RE ON!?! WELCOME TO HEAD-FI BABY!!! EXPENSIVE STUFF THAT PROVIDES MARGINAL IMPROVEMENT IS THE NAME OF THE GAME!

Hence why I have both JH13s and JH16s, a $1200 DAC, and a pair of $1900 speakers. Every single bit of which I consider a better value than any portable amplifier my ears have heard. This is relative value and relative sensibility, not absolute.

May 16, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #553 of 937
Oh....

May 16, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #554 of 937
I disagree, a Philips CD690 with built in amplification for headphones and bitstream conversion for 20 euros is not an exception. It powers the AKG K240 DF with ease and sounds more than satisfactory. A lot of old audio gear is sold for low prices and all you have to do is get it. Expensive is not the name of the game, it is a norm for high end audio gear in general. High end, the DF cost me 60 euros by the way so that is an exception too. 

Please don not generalize the 'sorry for your wallet' part of Head-Fi. Scoop up a Pioneer Monitor 10 or another vintage gem and you might be surprised how good the old audio gear is compared to what is made today. Did I mention old audio gear can be found cheap?

'EXPENSIVE STUFF THAT PROVIDES MARGINAL IMPROVEMENT IS THE NAME OF THE GAME!' dream on big spender...

May 16, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #555 of 937
Thank you for quoting me properly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back