Leak!!! Sony's New Portable Linear PCM Recorder PCM-D100 (upgrade of the famous D50s)
Sep 1, 2013 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 126

cyberbully

100+ Head-Fier

I haven't had enough information about this atm, accidently found this piece of news on the Sony's software download/service page.

The image looks pretty real tho. 

Check it out!

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 126
It would be good if it can act as a decent DAP. I'm not sure that the leak is very explosive. An R10 or Qualia successor would be explosive IMO.

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 126
Yeah true, if that's what your comparing to.

But sometimes it really depends on what aspect you take, as this series of device has been attracting heaps attention among portable hifi/recording people across the world. 
smile.gif

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #4 of 126
I've never viewed these units as DAPs. The reality is, I believe their sole focus has been on the recording aspect and as recorders, my old D50 as well as my M10 are unbelievably fantastic. With the right mics (or whatever other source you desire), their accuracy really takes advantage of the source's capability and the results are astounding every time for me - one of the lowest noise floors I've ever had the pleasure of working with and solidly built.

I'd love to know what the specs for this one will be. I'm also curious as to why the guard around the recording level dial seems to be snapped off at the top. :)

Sep 1, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 126
Quote:
Yeah true, if that's what your comparing to.

But sometimes it really depends on what aspect you take, as this series of device has been attracting heaps attention among portable hifi/recording people across the world. 
smile.gif

Fair enough in that case. We don't have as many people into recording here as on other forums.

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 126
Fair enough in that case. We don't have as many people into recording here as on other forums.

Alright, I have had the title adjusted for this thread.

And the previous version of this upgrade (Sony PCM recorder D50) has been always considered and well known as one of the best portable sources for earphones especially for those warm ones (e.g. Sennheiser IE80). Even though its more a recorder itself, the inner circuits are designed and built solidly for sound playback (as for reflecting precisely of the recordings), better than most of the portable players as well as those claimed hifi ones in market. I was a big fan of it.

That's where I came from.

Sep 16, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 126
I'm with you, cyberbully, in liking the Line Out quality of these recorders, using them as a 96/24-capable DAP.  I've been using my PCM-M10 this way for almost three years now - it's bullet proof - bug-free, everything is still working, 30-hour battery life.  The headphone amp is nothing to get excited about, but the the Line Out is great. 

I'm excited to hear about this new D100 - thanks for posting!

Mike

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #9 of 126
Thanks Mike!

Your pic is poisonous!

The D100 is now officially released, here I got some more images of it.

Specifications: selectable (up to 192khz/24bit) PCM recordind + DSD 2.8mhz recording and (DSD) playback, redesigned microphones and display, 4 AA battery supply and so on.

Sep 17, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #14 of 126
Translated to English:

http://www.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sony.jp%2Fic-recorder%2Fproducts%2FPCM-D100%2Fspec.html

Supports DSD/WAV/FLAC/MP3/WMA/AAC

Supports SDXC cards!

Output power at headphone jack is only 25mW (no surprise, here - just plan on using Line Out to a portable amp).

99,800 Yen = $1,007 U.S. (currently)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back