LEAK: SHURE SRH240, SRH440, and SRH840 headphones (and pricing) likely to be announced tomorrow! (And mini-review of SRH840.)
Apr 21, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #77 of 431
Will be trying these as soon as they come up on the demo floor in the Apple Store, that much is for certain. As long as they resemble the 530's SQ wise and be at least somewhat comfortable, they'll have me sold.

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #78 of 431
the srh240 look like mini dr. dre beats.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #79 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjay1977 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello All,

First off I'd like to introduce myself. I am Michael Johns the Product Manager for the newly anointed headphone category at Shure. I've been at Shure for close to 9 years, and work for the much mentioned (in this thread) Mr. Matt Engstrom.

Welcome aboard. Looking forward to chatting and hanging out with you and Matt at CanJam.
wink.gif

Quote:

Pricing: Yes, the pricing is official as Jude listed them. We are aggressively getting into this market as these prices dictate. These prices reflect the US STREET prices only and don't reflect what the prices are going to be in other regions of the world. Please check with the authorized distributor in your region for official pricing.

The pricing is one of the best aspect with the new Shure Headphones. When people stop trying to compare them with headphones that cost over 10X as much at retail (much more now on the used market), they will release the power of the best "bang for the buck" factor.

Quote:

Beta vs. Production units: Please note that we have made significant changes to the design since Beta Testing, which is kind of the point of doing Beta Testing in the first place... The sonic signatures remain unchanged but one notable change is the microphonics in the cable. Thanks to all the Beta Testers such as Jude and Ed Wood for pointing this out. You will find the production units have FAR LESS microphonics in the cable compared to Beta Test units. Beta Testing confirmed our assumption that the cable as-is, was not suitable for production.

Good to hear the microphonics were reduced. It was quite distracting.

Please consider offering a shorter straight cable, as the sheer length and weight of the coiled cable makes portable use cumbersome, especially since the cable is attached only to one side.

Quote:

Cable Details: The side of the cable that goes into the headphone assembly is a 2.5mm, 3-pin connector. It attaches via a locking "bayonet" style mechanism. The cable is easily removed and replaced but only intentionally meaning that you are not going to have the cable dislodge from the headphone assembly during normal usage.

I loved the bayonet "Twist and Lock" mechanism. So simple to use, but a nice solid connection.

Thanks for sharing further details about these new full sized headphones. I hope this is a start of a trend for Shure in developing for full sized cans. Maybe even an audiophile targeted full sized headphones in the future. That is if you feel Sennheiser is hogging that part of the market for too long.
wink.gif

-Ed

Apr 21, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #80 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please consider offering a shorter straight cable

x2

I will most likely get a pair anyway (have ordered them already) and I am certain that if not Shure, other vendors will offer some kind of aftermarket cable.

Apr 21, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #81 of 431
Yes please consider offering a shorter straight cable, I think I'm not wrong when I say that many people would like good quality headphones (like the Shure models as it seems) which can be used in the streets and at home !

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #82 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by insight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes please consider offering a shorter straight cable, I think I'm not wrong when I say that many people would like good quality headphones (like the Shure models as it seems) which can be used in the streets and at home !

++

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #83 of 431
Wow. Really good news.

I was on the verge of selling one of my open cans so that I could buy another set of SE530's but I'll be waiting for these instead. Love the pricing.

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #84 of 431
Oh SNAP, $200 for the high-end model?? I thought that was the price for the low-end model the whole time.
redface.gif

These may just be my first closed headphones. Ironically, it would cost me the same amount to fly to CanJam to try them out before buying.
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #86 of 431
hello MJAY!
please remember those of us north of the US border! There are a lot of Canadian head-fiers and we constantly see lower prices in the US for headphones, which is ridiculous!
If you offer the high end for $250 Canadian, I can guaruntee wonderful sales!
I need to get a piar of closed cans and will now wait for these to hit the Canadian market.
Best of luck!

Apr 21, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #88 of 431
Hello Again All,

More info on the Shure Headphones:

For those that are interested in knowing how the Shure models will compare to other models, I recommend attending Can Jam 2009 where we will be demonstrating or getting an in store demo once they are available.

To Cankin:

Another option we are considering are additional ear pad varieties. Nothing promised for now but stay tuned.

To Keithpgdrb:

I can talk to the powers that be here at Shure about letting some folks from the local area come into the Shure building to demo the headphones. I know Sugarfried pulled this off once with one of our earphone lines once so it may be a possibility with headphones as well.

To Ed Wood and insight:

First off, thanks for your assistance in Beta Tests. I look forward to meeting you as well.

You'll note that the SRH240 has a very lightweight "consumer ready" cable. Unfortunatley as you remarked, the cable is quite larger and more robust that what you'd consider good for consumer usage on the other 2 models. This is because they were developed with the pro user in mind. However, knowing that at these prices consumer use is somewhat inevitable (and encourouraged) for the 440 and 840 we should consider shorter, straight "consumer use case" cables for those users that want to use these models on the go.

To BlackTaxi2d:
First off, nice scoop on our launch at Musikmesse in Frankfurt. I had the good fortune of being able to go to the show to support the global launch. It was really cool to see that someone picked the messe launch up at a site I regularly visit (ie Head-Fi). Since we are showing them at NAB this week, you'll see a lot of US press pick these models up in reviews, round ups etc.

You had a question about in store demos as well. I have no idea how the in store demos will go because in most cases, it will be up to the retailer on how they choose to demo them. One exception is the Bose which I believe was part of an integrated POP (point of purchase) display where they send the stores complete displays which include audio sources and content. I'm not sure if those are the demo set ups you are referring to so I am kind of assuming at this point...

To freakydrew:

We in product developmet haven't forgotten about our Canadian brethren! Since we don't control pricing, I would have to guess that for our headphones you will see that the prices will be somewhat similar (or equivalent) to US pricing in order to prevent gray marketing activities, etc. You should check with our DC in Canada called S.F. Marketing for pricing details. You can find their info on the Shure.com site.

Apr 21, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #90 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that the cat's out of the bag, I can talk about the SRH840 now.

I had the opportunity to test out the SRH840 for a couple of months.

Here's a brief run down of my impressions:

The Good:
Huge soundstage for closed headphones. Smooth sound, incredible bass response. Plenty of slam, but without being overly boomy sounding. With the sub $200 price point, the SRH840 offers the best bang for the buck for all full sized cans.

The Bad:
As with any "DJ" style closed headphones, they can be painful to wear for some with sensitive ears. And since it's isolating, the clamping pressure is uncomfortable to wear for those that wear glasses. The coiled headphone cable was heavy, awkward, and very microphonic.

The Ugly:
Styling leaves much to be desired. The first time I saw them, I expected them to say "Sony" on the sides. I understand that the SRH840 is aimed towards the studio monitoring market, but it doesn't mean that they couldn't have received some proper Industrial Design treatment.

All in all, the big sound out of sealed, closed headphones is the most amazing part. And they roll up into a pretty portable size for tossing into one's bag.

-Ed

My main and favourite fullsized cans which happen to be closed are the M-Audio Q40's.Now many owners would agree that they are one of the best sub $200 headphones especially in the bass department.If you've heard them how would you compare the bass to the SRH840?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back